Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: enigma ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:54PM

So my 12-year-old son has been enamored with 'Pastafarianism' over the last few weeks and, with the encouragement of his English teacher, decided to wear a pasta strainer as a hat to school yesterday as religious attire.

One student asked him "Why do you believe in that kind of stuff? It's really weird..." To which DS replied: "That's like me saying that you believe in some hippie dude living in some heaven beyond space..."

Another student exclaimed: "A pasta strainer? Really?" To which DS replied: "Disappearing Egyptian golden plates? Really?"

Of course I got an email from one of his other teachers that I am in the process of responding to and I'm sure the faculty and staff are in no way prepared for what they are about to read.

Needless to say I'm proud of my boy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 03:21PM by enigma.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:01PM

I hope you will write his teachers that it's probably just a rebellious phase he is going through and the he will likely soon reaffirm his faith in Allah and the prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, at your local Wahabi mosque. Aloha snackbar!

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:53PM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:05PM

Just wow! That put a lump in my throat the size of the smile on my face. Good for both of you.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:14PM

Ditto. That's awesome.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:16PM

Tell that kid of yours that he has a whole bunch of peeps behind him!!!!!!!

Go kid! Carry on with your religious attire.

Date: March 14, 2013 03:17PM

"Hello,

I am concerned with _____'s new hat that he says is part of his religion. He stated that he is not Pastafarian. I understand religious practices however I question his motive with this new accessory. If this is his preferred religion and you approve of it 100% please let administration know so it can be approved the correct way.

My main problem with this is the fact that he uses it as a toy and is being extremely disrespectful of other religion. I am not trying to judge his choice but he does not have the right to judge other and make comments that make them feel uncomfortable for their choices.

Please help me understand this situation"

-----And a follow up per my request for clarification----------

"Thanks for the response. His hat was a pasta strainer. And he was making jokes about other religions. He refused to take his hat off all day in multiple classes. And in my class I had to ask Mr. _____ to help with the issue. Like I stated before I'm happy to allow it with communication through administration. I just need to verify that he is in fact part of the spaghetti monster religion from Kansas City.

_______________"

As you can see, there are several issues there that cannot go without being directly addressed. And I have taken the time over the last few hours to address them ALL.

Date: March 14, 2013 03:51PM

However, if you son claims not to be a Pastafarian, he can't really invoke religious freedom to wear the "hat".

Date: March 14, 2013 04:23PM

That was actually a typo by the teacher - of which there are several (which concerns me in and of itself). My son has openly stated that he is Pastafarian.

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:07PM

The spaghetti monster religion from Kansas City, this is the coolest religious name ever! I want to sign up my boys too!

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:12PM

Get an official ministerial ordination certificate here.

http://www.venganza.org/

Your boys can be ministers.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:19PM

"Disappearing Egyptian golden plates? Really?"

Perfect response. What a brilliant kid!!

Date: March 14, 2013 03:47PM

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:48PM

So completely awesome!

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 03:56PM

Your son rocks.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:00PM

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:02PM

@ Mak . . . crap, you beat me to it (again) ;o)

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:19PM

You rock too, Shannon. ;-)

Posted by: exmofrmks ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:07PM

We have spaghetti monster religion from Kansas City?!?!!! I will make the drive to worship with like minded people!

We don't live in the morodor but my daughter did just tell her VERY baptist grandfather that worshiping one god is boring and she is looking into becoming Hindu or starting to worship the greek gods.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:16PM

Other people's religious beliefs demand respect.

Unless one of your religious beliefs is to mock other religions.

Then that belief demands respect.

But, that belief is to mock other religions.

Those beliefs demand respect.

Oh, god, I need to lie down for a bit. My head hurts.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:43PM

LOL!

Date: March 14, 2013 04:25PM

So here is my reply to the emails sent by my son's teacher... warning: LONG!!!

Mrs. _____,

Thank you for following up with more details into the issues that you alerted me to today. After reviewing the matter and discussing things with DS, I respectfully submit the following for your review.

With respect to DS's treating the hat/strainer as a toy, I have addressed the issue and DS understands that this is distracting to the class and he will refrain from doing it again. He understands the expectations for students with respect to classroom conduct and will redouble his efforts to comply with school policy in that regard.

I would like to spend a little time responding to the other concerns stated in your original email. I will speak to each point individually so as to facilitate a clearer understanding of our position(s) on these matters. I apologize in advance for the length of this response but I needed to make sure that I thoroughly covered all of the points you brought up. For convenience, I have included your quotes in italics.

1. "I understand religious practices however I question his motive with this new accessory."

Implicit in ‘understanding’ others mythological beliefs/practices is the realization that the motives of an adherent are, quite frankly, no ones business. I will use the following example in each of the points of concern that I address: If a practicing Jew were to walk into your classroom wearing the Kippah ( כִּפָּה), as most practicing orthodox Jews do, would you take the time to email that child's parents questioning his/her motives for wearing the symbol of his mythology? If I insert the Islamic Burqa or the Catholic Rosary, the question would be the same.

Just because a religious practice is unfamiliar or strange, that does not warrant calling into question the motives of those who choose to follow a mythological tradition in whatever manner they see fit. Similarly, I doubt that you would ever question the motives of an 8-year-old adolescent who chooses to don white ceremonial clothing, walk into a large tub, and be submerged in order to join his/her parents mythological construct. By that age standard, DS is more than old enough to choose to wear a symbol of his chosen mythology and the argument could be reasonably made that his motives are more legitimate than the 8-year-old mentioned previously as he has made this decision free from the constant and pervasive indoctrination of his parents since his birth. His decision to wear the prescribed head piece for a practicing Pastafarian was made completely independent of input from either his mother or myself.

2. "My main problem with this is... that he... is being extremely disrespectful of other religion. He does not have the right to judge other and make comments that make them feel uncomfortable for their choices."

I asked DS about this issue and he related the following to me:

DS was walking by another student in the process of (most likely getting his bell work out of his folder) when the student asked DS: "Why do you believe in that kind of stuff? It's really weird..." To which DS replied: "That's like me saying that you believe in some hippie dude living in some heaven beyond space..."

In addition to this, DS has come home in tears on several occasions from being subjected to ridicule by several other LDS students who, for some strange reason, thought it was appropriate to promote their particular mythology and demean DS for not participating in their myth club. So my question to you is: Have you sent a similar email to the offending student's parents for his blatant discriminatory behavior and, could I please see the copy of that email - as I'm sure that you're dedicated to treating this episode with impartiality to any particular mythological construct? DS is made to feel uncomfortable for not believing in the dominant cultural mythology on a routine basis. What are you and your staff doing to ensure that no one is made to feel uncomfortable for not participating in that dominant mythology?

If I am to understand the situation correctly, DS was only pointing out an observational parallel regarding the irony of persecuting someone for their beliefs while subscribing to a mythology that is, by any objective standard, just as ridiculous as the belief system that the persecutor is choosing to single out. The only difference between the two students, as I see it, was that DS was mature enough to point out the parallel in mythological absurdity and let the whole issue rest at that - while the offending student, it would seem, is behaviorally incapable handling a conversational rebuttal to his discriminatory behavior and choose to whine about it to a teacher.

So, I propose the following: If the school is willing to enforce a rigorous exclusion of the discussion or promotion of any mythological construct in any way, shape or form on school property with the exception of observing mythology's role in a historical context, then all students can interact and learn in an environment where the potential of being persecuted (as my son has been on several occasions by LDS students - and which students have never been upbraided for their bigotry and intolerance) is markedly reduced - if not altogether eliminated.

3. "He refused to take his hat off all day in multiple classes. And in my class I had to ask Mr. ____ to help with the issue... I just need to verify that he is in fact part of the spaghetti monster religion from Kansas City."

I asked DS about this issue and these were his remarks:

"In 1st period, Miss _____ asked me to take off the hat and I did and then I started playing with it (which I have addressed with DS) and she took it away from me. At the end of the period we had a talk about playing/fiddling with stuff and then [she] gave it back to me to put into my back pack. In 2nd period, Mr. ____ told me to take it off and I did but I was acting (in drama class) so I didn't play with it. In 3rd period, Mr. ____ let me keep it on because he said that, legally, I don't have to take it off. In 4th period, I took it off myself because I was in dance class and I didn't want it to fall off. And then at lunch Mr. ____ told me I had to have permission to wear it so I went to the principal's office but he was in a meeting. So I took it off for lunch and then put it back on to go to science class which was my final period."

So if I am to understand this all correctly, the only issue of concern that I see is that of playing with the hat like a toy during class. I will point out that there seems to be some confusion as to what is or is not allowed with respect to mythological accessories or trappings (as evidenced by Mr. _3rd period_ comments), In fact, the day prior, Mr. _3rd period_ advised DS that he should wear the hat/strainer if he truly was a Pastafarian and then took the time to show his class yesterday, via overhead projector, that Pastafarianism was indeed an established religion.

While DS has grown somewhat accustom to the fact that many LDS children are patently incapable of realizing that people do, in fact, believe different things than they do; he is always confused that they cannot see the absurdity of their own belief system when it is lined up beside other equally absurd belief systems. Honestly, I believe the simplest way to solve this issue is to allow DS to wear his mythological attire of preference as you would, I assume, allow the Jew to wear the Kippah, the Muslim to wear the Burqa, the Catholic to wear the Rosary, or the Mormon to wear the temple garment.

Also, I need clarification as to this supposed school policy of verifying the membership or adherence of every student to the mythology that they proclaim adherence to. Could you please forward to me the section of your policies/bylaws/etc. that delineate this practice as I've never heard of a school, public or charter, engaging in such a blatant violation of an individual's privacy or civil liberties. If such a policy is included in your bylaws then I would, respectfully, like to receive said copy and submit it to a trusted friend of mine who is an attorney for review.

In closing I would like to state for the record that my wife and I are fully supportive of the school's efforts to maintain appropriate behavior in class. As Mr. _3rd period_ will attest to, we have been very cooperative in working with him to correct DS's distracting behavior issues when they arise - to the point of even shadowing him in class as needed. If DS persists in playing with his hat, he understands that he will not be allowed to wear it.

However, with respect to the other points you brought up, I must offer the above as my understanding of the situation and my rebuttal of certain assumptions/positions offered up in your original communiques. DS's choice to adhere to Pastafarianism and wear a pasta strainer may seem strange or even silly and many may be wont to dismiss his choice on those grounds. But, I would politely remind you that the majority population in this state adhere to a mythology that includes, among other strange oddities, the following in its lexicon of belief: Disappearing gold plates, an invisible ghost that inhabits a person's heart, atonement for sins through human sacrifice, an anthropomorphized man/god that lives near a star called "Kolob", and a myriad of other peculiarities that, for anyone outside that construct of belief, would seem equally strange and silly.

While we have taught DS to respect individuals and their choices of belief, we reject the idea that belief systems themselves must be immune from scrutiny, criticism, and rebuttal. And while DS will NEVER actively denigrate the personal beliefs of another, rest assured that if someone approaches him and attempts to point out the absurdity of his beliefs, he WILL CERTAINLY offer a simple and appropriate observational parallel in rebuttal. So long as the school does nothing to prevent LDS children (or any other myth-club adherents) from persecuting and vilifying those that don't happen to belong to their respective myth club, I will not prohibit DS from defending his right to believe as he chooses and pointing out the hypocritical absurdity of any believer denigrating the mythology of another. It's a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black and we've taught DS to treat it as such.

I hope this helps you to understand our position. Again, DS understands that if he continues to play with the strainer, he will not be allowed to wear it. And I trust that, from this point forward, my son's adherence to his mythology of choice will be subject to the same respect and treatment that other students are accorded.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Enigma.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:32PM

I LOVE that you use the rems mythology and myth club rather than religion and church--so much more accurate, and must have driven the teacher crazy.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:01PM

AWESOME!!!!!

Please let us know the follow up to that from the school.

Posted by: gladtobeme ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:18PM

AWESOME. I wonder if the teacher is mormon?

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:27PM

Heck if you are close enough I'll march outside the school wearing a strainer and carrying a sign.

Posted by: Good Grief ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:31PM

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:34PM

Yes, the student who criticized him was all those things, wasn't he.

Posted by: Good Grief ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:40PM

Part of that learning involves social skills. Encouraging that sort of behavior is not helping this child prepare for adult life.

Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:47PM

Ah yes, adult life where we are supposed to be good little robots and conform. Riiiiiight that's what I want to teach my kids!

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:51PM

Just like your lame, attention seeking, and juvenile anonymous response?

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:57PM

Social skills include standing up for one's belief system in the face of riducule from others. Thats exactly what the young man did.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 05:59PM

Tell that to all the other kids who have bullied him first. Responding in kind is not "antagonizing", it is standing up for one's self, a very valuable social skill.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 06:23PM

"Tell that to all the other kids who have bullied him first."

You don't know that.

In fact, we know very little at this point. A parent who doesn't know herself whether her child is the kid who started it or the kid who is bullied is telling us her side of the story. There are so many degrees of separation from the actual event that we could never say for sure what is the truth and isn't the truth.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 06:26PM

Actually we do know this based on enigma's response back to teacher.

"In addition to this, DS has come home in tears on several occasions from being subjected to ridicule by several other LDS students who, for some strange reason, thought it was appropriate to promote their particular mythology and demean DS for not participating in their myth club. So my question to you is: Have you sent a similar email to the offending student's parents for his blatant discriminatory behavior and, could I please see the copy of that email - as I'm sure that you're dedicated to treating this episode with impartiality to any particular mythological construct? DS is made to feel uncomfortable for not believing in the dominant cultural mythology on a routine basis. What are you and your staff doing to ensure that no one is made to feel uncomfortable for not participating in that dominant mythology?"

Date: March 14, 2013 06:50PM

That isn't proof at all. That is one side of the story in what is most likely more complicated.

I'm not saying it didn't happen. I'm just saying that you don't know and neither does enigma 100%.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 06:29PM

LOL.

Date: March 14, 2013 06:51PM

It is tough to be a skeptic. Not everybody has the willpower to question everything.

We all have our own roles to occupy, no? :)

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:49PM

Actually, you don't know wether the poster knows that. For all you know the poster you claim doesn't know that is the kid who wore the strainer and does know that. If you really want to question everything you have to dig a little deeper.

Date: March 14, 2013 07:49PM

"If you really want to question everything you have to dig a little deeper."

You should stop making assumptions.

"Everything else"

Exactly!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 07:50PM by snb.

Date: March 14, 2013 07:53PM

Admit it SNB - you don't know. Psyche.

Date: March 14, 2013 07:53PM

I totally admit it. 100% I admit that I don't know.

Date: March 14, 2013 07:56PM

Cool.

Date: March 14, 2013 07:57PM

I figured it was obvious, but I'm glad you called me out on it and gave me a chance to clarify. :)

Date: March 14, 2013 07:58PM

Then again, you could be the kid with the strainer and might know that the poster doesn't know that. Reverse psyche on me.

Date: March 14, 2013 08:03PM

Little do you know that I am actually Jesus Christ. I see everything.

Stop touching yourself.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 06:10PM

Carry on, my strong little pastafarian soldier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 06:10PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: brownie ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 06:57PM

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"
Irish dramatist & socialist (1856 - 1950)

Rock On OUT LOUD, lil' Pastafarian!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 06:57PM by brownie.

Date: March 14, 2013 07:05PM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:52PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.