Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:25PM

Interesting memory from my mission. A guy named Felipe went up to the pulpit one fast & testimonkey meeting and during his "testimony" he was talking about an interaction he had with a non-member who confronted him about Joseph Smith having had multiple wives. He said that he told the guy that this was not true, that Joseph Smith only ever married one woman, and that polygamy didn't start until Brigham Young.

It was left alone that week. But the following Sunday, Felipe was working so wasn't at church. And during Elders quorum, the guy who was presiding from the district presidency had to clear up the false doctrine that had been spoken at the pulpit. He didn't want to offend Felipe, so he thought it opportune to discuss it in his absence. So Presidente Gomez, or whatever his name was brought up the topic of Felipe's words from the previous week. He asked the elders quorum if they were aware that Joseph Smith engaged in polygamy, to which some including myself said yes, and others said no. So he went on to educate everyone that Joseph Smith had indeed engaged in polygamy, and went on to refer to D&C 132.

Interesting that in this case, the false doctrine that had to be cleared up, was the falsehood that Joseph Smith did not engage in polygamy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smith ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:30PM

I don't know if we teach that. -GBH

Posted by: davidlkent ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:38PM

Careful. Monson is right now rewriting morg scriptures, so history could be next.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 04:41PM

Next: JS didn't Deny that he was a polyg....

They LIE to us, then they Deny their Lies.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 09:28PM

And poor Felipe went on believing Joseph Smith wasn't a polygamist...

Maybe that's why I never heard it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.