Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 07:18AM

I am just curious, does anyone know why the existence of the recently confirmed discovery of a (the?) Higgs Bosun particle is supposed to prove there is no god?

I was reading up about it and it's pretty cool stuff to be sure, very likely ranking up there with the discovery of radio waves and electricity. But I can't find why they call it the "god" particle. All I can find is that real scientists don't like to call it that bc it's sensationalistic

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: physics guy ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 09:20AM

The Higgs boson has nothing to do with the existence of god or any proof or disproof thereof.

Some writer dubbed it "the god particle" a while back and that name has been appearing in news article, but physicists don't refer to the Higgs that way.

See here for more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson#Nickname

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 09:38AM

I read an article recently that the term "god particle" was originally intended to be "goddamn particle" because it's very elusive. From what I understand, the existence or non-existence of the particle has nothing to do with the existence of deity, but merely gives scientists more knowledge about why matter has mass, and therefore a better understanding of how the universe works.

Beyond that, I have no goddamn clue :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.