Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jl ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 10:40AM

The following excerpt is from a news report on huffingtonpost.com:

Pope Francis is a conservative who is anti-gay marriage and anti-gay adoption. He has described same-sex marriage as the work of the devil and a “destructive attack on God’s plan.” He has also said that gay adoption is a form of discrimination against children.

In 2010, Francis championed against a bill for same-sex marriage and gay adoption, according to the National Catholic Register.

“[T]he Argentine people will face a situation whose outcome can seriously harm the family," he wrote to the four monasteries in Argentina. "At stake is the identity and survival of the family: father, mother and children. At stake are the lives of many children who will be discriminated against in advance, and deprived of their human development given by a father and a mother and willed by God. At stake is the total rejection of God’s law engraved in our hearts.”

He went on to describe it as a "‘move’ of the Father of Lies who seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God" and asked for lawmakers to "not act in error." In John 8:44, the Father of Lies is the devil. "

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 10:46AM

So, the Pope is a homophobe.

Is he Catholic?

Date: March 15, 2013 10:05PM

Would you please read the excerpt carefully?

He is against gay adoption, not abortion.

Posted by: Westy ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 12:04PM

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 02:22PM

Unless you are male and Catholic, I fail to see why the pope is relevant at all. Of course, I feel the same way about the mormon "prophet" -- also largely irrelevant unless you are both male and mormon. And even then, you might not give much of a flip about whatever these old dudes have to say.

Posted by: nomomonomo ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:58PM

I suppose unless a hermaphrodite gets into power, any prophet/leader type is automatically going to be "irrelevant" to 1/2 of the human race, by that reasoning. Do you require all leader-type figures to be exactly like you in every respect before you pronounce them "relevant?"

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 12:19AM

John XXXIII helped end the Cuban Missile Crisis and JPII was instrumental in bringing down Communism. That was relevant to people who were neither male nor Catholic.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:45AM

bona dea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John XXXIII helped end the Cuban Missile Crisis
> and JPII was instrumental in bringing down
> Communism. That was relevant to people who were
> neither male nor Catholic.

Posted by: nomomonomo ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 03:11AM

Posted by: lovenlife ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 03:01PM

Does the Catholic Church believe in the bible? What do they stand for? What oath do they take? I believe that they are suppose to be MORALLY CLEAN. They have sure had their problems in the past! Maybe this guy can pull the true Catholics together. For all of the true Christians in this world, I hope that he stands strong in his beliefs and his true Catholic faith.

Posted by: Ex-Catholic ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:05PM

But I think we can probably agree that it would be good for the world if he actually accomplished some things during his tenure. Maybe he can institute reforms that will stop the child sex abuse. Maybe he can go a little further than Benedict XVI and end the Catholic ban on contraception -- because although it is routinely ignored in the West, it is still contributing to overpopulation in other parts of the world. So I really hope he is successful in ways that will benefit the world -- not because I want him to have personal accomplishments to be proud of, but because he's the head of a powerful church whose actions affect all of us.

Posted by: janeeliot ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:24PM

Best comment on this topic yet. You might be a little mature to fit in here.

Date: March 15, 2013 11:29PM

Date: March 15, 2013 11:33PM

Some posters want him to fail just so they can keep on mocking. To hell with the people involved. With all these anti Catholic threads, I feel like I have stumbled on a hate group.

Date: March 15, 2013 11:51PM

Clearly violate the board guidelines, but as we know, the rules have always been selectively enforced on RFM.

Date: March 15, 2013 11:52PM

Yup.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:54PM

to be critical of the catholic church.

Date: March 16, 2013 12:00AM

Some do and some are a lot more than that.

Date: March 16, 2013 12:21AM

Catholics for Choice are critical of the Catholic Church. They are also -- Catholics. Be nice if it were acknowledged here that one can be both -- among a few other things.

Date: March 16, 2013 12:15AM

+

Date: March 16, 2013 12:16AM

:)

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:10PM

I still think that out of a barrel of rotten apples, he was the least decayed. Sometimes it takes baby steps to get to the ultimate outcome you want. In general, I think he's a step up from the last pope.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:36PM

And exactly how much did Argentina listen to the pope on that particular matter?

To expect the leader of the Catholic church to bend on gay rights at this time is probably expecting more than such an individual can deliver. Change will probably have to come from the ground up, as parish priests see gay couples attending mass together with their children, and they realize that the sky hasn't fallen.

Date: March 15, 2013 11:58PM

Parish priests would first have to "allow" gay couples to take the communion.

I don't know about Argentina, but judging from my personal experiences in both Asia and California, most Catholic priests, who took the vow of obedience, woud not do that--not if they know for sure that you and your partner are gay.

The ones that sympathize with gay people are frowned upon and often are marginalized among priests.

Date: March 16, 2013 12:01AM

Some do. A lot of priests ignore the churches teachings on some issues such as birth control, gays etc.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 12:19AM

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 12:49AM

I couldn't have hoped for anything better: another out of touch, homophobic, tradition driven, near octogenarian pope. Hopefully it will help with the decline of religious belief in the world. Gays and gays marriage is almost universally accepted as a normal lifestyle by secular humanists and free thinkers throughout the planet. Long live the pope.

Francis is part of a religious culture of murder, repression, torture, pedophilia, homophobia, mythology, misogyny, misappropriation, genocide, that held back progression, knowledge, science, and culture of civilization for a couple of thousand years. It is a church and a culture that needs to be flushed down the toilet of civilization.

Posted by: srena nli ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:37AM

I'm no fan of the old dress-wearing heman women haters club either. Its possitively medieval.

Date: March 16, 2013 03:04AM

to me he will always be

Homophobius CCLXVI

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 03:10AM

2514?

Date: March 16, 2013 03:14AM

Date: March 16, 2013 03:16AM

as in there have been 266 popes, all homophobes

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.