Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 12:33AM

I felt like I wanted to say something on this subject too. The advice that has been given is all very good. I am a mom of 9 that left the lds church 1 year ago. I haven't attended church since July 2009,but my 2 youngest continued to attend with my tbm husband. That is until I realized how much they were being shunned,because of my choices. They haven't been back to the Mormon church in about a year. (My other 7 kids are ages 21-36. The 2 youngest are 7 and 10) I went a whole year before I attended any church. My 34 year old dd left the Mormon church 2 years ago and had been attending a non-denominational church. I decided to take the kids and go to her church. One of the best choices I've ever made. From the minute we walked through the front door we all felt at home. The joy I feel every week is so different than what I ever felt in the Mormon church. The kids love their hour long classes where they sing and dance and play and have a short lesson (but acted out on a stage) on a virtue or Bible story. And for me to be able to actually listen to the pastors (we have 3 and they are funny,smart,humble,and caring) without babies and other interuptions is amazing. The singing is very moving-we have a 7 piece band and many singers. It's night and day different than the Mormon church. And we can wear what ever we want to church.

So take a break from church for awhile. You are very fortunate to have your family together. I am very impressed that you listened to your husband and respected his views. I have 4 of my kids that are still Mormon,and my husband. It makes things difficult. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 01:11AM

loveskids....it is nice to hear stories like this and they need to be shared. I can imagine all the differences you noticed right away. Glad it is bringing you joy.

Date: January 16, 2011 02:49AM

Thank-you Honestone.My church really does bring me joy. It's so real,and for the members,and such a happy place. The first week we attended my 10 year old ds told me how much he loved his class. (he hated going to church before) He almost cried when he said,"I sure wish we could go to this church mom." And that was that and we have never looked back.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 03:23AM

Date: January 16, 2011 12:01PM

I go to Green Valley Community Church. It's "up the hill" about 20 minutes from where I live. Northern Ca. About 1 hour from Tahoe. Come visit me and I will take you. You would love it!

Did I give to much info? Am I going to be found out?? Who cares.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 02:51PM

attending (only a few times); the Unitarian Church, and the Methodist Church, and a little Spiritualist Church.
I particularly enjoy the music when the church hires professional musicians. The Methodists had the best music in my view.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.