Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: almostgone ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 02:39PM

Get assigned a talk for sacrament meeting. Google the topic with sermon keyword and give the sermon word for word only using the bible references???

It's actually quite interesting because of the comments that people give afterwards about how good it was.... :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 02:52PM

I know it doesn't apply, but it's still a funny story. When I was 9 1/2, I was given the keynote talk at that year's Primary presentation, despite being as young as I was. It was on Joseph & the pharaoh. I should of just read it out of the Bible, but I was told to paraphrase it. Well, being as poor as I was, my parents never had the money for LDS editions of the illustrated Bible stories. (We only had one lame soft cover of BOM stories.) My mom & I ended up borrowing the next door kids' regular old Protestant illustrated bible stories, & my mom helped me write my talk off of that. No one in the Primary presidency had thought to tell me to get an LDS edition from the library to use for my talk. The funny part is that my mom, the longtime RS counselor, the former longtime Primary & junior SS chorister, didn't think to do that either.

Posted by: Anon 4 This ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 05:21PM

I did it just a couple of weeks ago. I had 2 people afterwards come up and say that's how a talk should be give... :)

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 06:53PM

Like, just reading the Bible verses, nothing else? That'd be awesome!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 07:01PM

In the mid-90s I figured out that the Book of Mormon was a fraud, but was afraid to say it to anyone. Still, I was pretty mad, and so I never quoted from it again or used it in a talk or lesson unless forced to read something from a manual. I hated its stilted and obviously false style and its stupid stories (think "Stripling Warriors").

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 07:03PM

I've always been skeptical of a Mormon's praise. They praise so often I never know when it is sincere or when their trying to shove a blow dryer up my ass.

I have given plenty of halfassed talks and lessons and been congratulated for my performance just as much as after my more prepared presentations.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:20PM

Good point jacob. They're so hepped up on Mountain Dew and jelly beans anything sounds good to them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.