Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crafty ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 04:06PM

I thought this was satire but if it's true I'm so glad I got my daughter out while she was young and wouldn't grow up thinking this was normal.

http://waitingforamissionary.weebly.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 04:09PM

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 04:09PM

This one is hard to read... I think it MIGHT be real. If not, it is played very close to the chest. Scary.

Posted by: truckerexmo ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 04:14PM

I wish that I had more to say, but the word, "pathetic", just keeps banging around in my head.

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 04:14PM

"After the shakes we all drove home and went to bed! "

Not in the way I am thinking!

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 04:19PM

I'm pretty sure it is the real deal.

From the site: "A missionary's girl is a composite. She has the appetite of a hormonally unstable 18-year-old girl, the enthusiasm of a wet noodle, the patience of Job, the persistence of a stainless steel salesman and the imagination of Scherazade."

Thanks, James Joyce. But what kind of appetite? Surely you don't mean... sexual? Oh, you mean for double bacon cheeseburgers, don't you. My mistake. Does a wet noodle have enthusiasm? I'm not so sure... Ugh.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 04:52PM

I will bet just about anything I own that this is 100% real...I also bet that they break up within 3 weeks of his homecoming.

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 04:54PM

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 04:59PM

There won't be as many girls waiting if they are on missions. That will be an eye opener to see the guys in action with all their immaturity. Might make them think twice about marrying so soon.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 08:15PM

Date: March 15, 2013 08:23PM

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 06:11PM

"Bunny Burner"

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 06:22PM

I would guess, based on all the Mormon women like this I knew at BYU, this is sadly a real person with real advice. If not, it's so close to the mark I'll bet plenty of Mollies take her seriously and think it's real. One evidence it might not be real is that her missionary is Elder Norman.

Norman the Mormon? Even if it is a real blog, that's a good joke.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 06:28PM

Oh, I think it's real. I've known far too many young women who fit the mold, exactly. Of course, I've also known quite a few of them to have their heads turned by a really cute and persistent RM before their "guy" gets home. Happens every day.

So sad, so pathetic that they actually believe this is the way it is supposed to be. Yeesh.

Crafty, I, also am SO GLAD I got my daughter out so she will never, ever be one of these girls!!

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 07:05PM

There's a link there to a New Era article about tips for writing and sending packages to missionaries.

"Don’t send books. Missionaries have the Church basics they need. Extra books are not approved and add weight to their already full suitcases."

I'll even leave the analysis of that one to you!

Date: March 15, 2013 08:11PM

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 08:05PM

As he was not a Mormon, I kind of find it hard to believe that Dan Valentine wrote this, although I will do some more searching.

Be sure to click on the menu button to read other links, especially how and what to write and send missionaries.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 08:24PM by moira.

Posted by: the outlander ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 08:31PM

Posted by: oyvey ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 08:49PM

ariel22, We've probably talked before...I'm sure we were in the same Facebook group. There's one main one, "Waiting for a Missionary."

Yes, the site is very much real.

Yes, I (stupidly) waited for my missionary. We married in the temple, and he divorced me after a year and 8 month long "marriage" when I seriously started questioning TSCC. Separation of an entire DAY. Took him less than a week to file...UGH.

"Forever and always, no matter what" and "Family First" my ass!

Posted by: leafonthewind ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 09:26PM

Yep, that was the one. I'm so sorry to hear about your not so happily-ever-after. I can kind of sympathize, except that I never got married. I waited for a year and four months, then when I started having the slightest of doubts he dumped me for a girl he met in his mission.

Good to see we meet again on a better site, though!

Posted by: leafonthewind ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 08:34PM

Oh, it's real. I've got the inside scoop on it, lol. A couple of years ago I was involved in a blog JUST like this and a group on Facebook. I was just one of the many girls who requested to join; I didn't create any of it. My story was posted on the blog and they had this countdown they updated every time a missionary got home.

Posted by: cajunruby ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 08:48PM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:39PM

I think it's real as my youngest TBM step sister is on a "waiting for your missionary" facebook page, and she's having her mission farewell on what Christians call Easter Sunday.

The thing I think is sad is that by the time she and her boyfriend are done with their missions, they'll get married because of pressure and her indoctrination. She was one of those who put in the papers as soon as the announcement was made about lowering the missionary ages. The sad thing is that she's only got a semester of college, and that might be the only college education she gets now.

I basically do a lot of lip biting and resisting the urge to comment on Facebook, as I don't want to offend any of the Mormons in my step family. At least, there's this board to vent my frustrations about how deep the indoctrination is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 11:41PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 07:11AM

Could this chick **GUSH** any louder?!

;o)

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 07:37AM

There is no way this could be real. That first pic seems to be a joke - the girl is wearing blue satin from the eighties? Anyway, I thinks it's like the blog that the one mormon girl does (used to do?) where she pretended she was a newlywed from Provo and took all the mormon lingo to the extreme for some entertaining satire.

Posted by: mondaymorning ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:28AM

I'd say it's real. Knew too many girls like this at BYU.

Of the 12 mission companions I had exactly one married the girl that was 'waiting' for them. One married a girl he met in the mtc and one I'm pretty sure is gay. I'm the last of my companions to get married and I'm doing it in a Methodist church in June. The wedding will have no green aprons and the reception will have an open bar.

Posted by: politicaljunkie ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:09AM

"     We woke up at 6:00 am. Jason picked me up at 6:45, and we headed over to Seminary! What a GREAT way to start a date right?! After a wonderful lesson in seminary, we went back to the Norman's home. Jason, being the sweet boyfriend he is, made me waffles. They were delicious!!! After we cleaned up the kitchen together, we cuddled and watched a movie. After the movie, we were going to go surfing but I had a concussion, so Jason took me to a Butterfly Park! How Romantic right?!?! :) If you have seen the movie Prince and Me then would be even more romantic to you! There were monarch butterflies everywhere. It was so cute. "

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:11PM

So... They went to seminary on a Saturday or maybe they skipped school? That part doesn't add up.

Posted by: gladtobeme ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 11:00AM

BAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRFFFFFF!!!

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:03PM

I don't know whether to barf or scream or both.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:52PM

I suspect it is real. I waited for a missionary for about 9 months back in the day. Thank whomever there wasn't the internet back then! It was ridiculous.

I predict this will end before he comes home, not after. Most do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.