Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kabbima ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 10:19PM

When I told my parents I was resigning from the church (I've been inactive for 14 years since I was 12.) I expected my mom to freak out. She actually took it really well and has been supportive of my decision even if she isn't happy with it. My dad o. The other hand, who I am much closer to, won't say more than a few words to me, and only when he has to. Even my children have noticed.

My question, did anyone have similar experiences when they resigned and did it work out over time? I know each situation is different, but it's so hard. When am I going to stop being hurt and affected by this damn religion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 10:28PM

Sorry for your pain, but at least you know your children will never know this sort of rejection for you.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 10:37PM

Just tell your children some people only love those who agree with them in everything.

And no one fits that description, so what does that mean?

We have to love each other understanding that we are not all the same.

It's painful, but it will protect your children from cults for the rest of their lives. They are seeing it firsthand.

Hugs

Anagrammy

Posted by: kabbima ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:59PM

Agreed. Growing up my parents always put the church first, it caused me to have a lot of resentment towards the church, this certainly doesn't help the situation. I am very grateful my kids won't grow up with the churches bull shit.

Posted by: too much joy ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 12:12AM

Several Mormon families in our neighborhood told me that they disowned their children for leaving the cult, for not going on a mission, for marrying outside of their race or religion. When my husband and I left the Mormon cult, his parents disinherited us and our children, because we were no longer sealed to them as their "eternal family."

You that Mormons are all about families.... Where's the love?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.