Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:33PM

Just my own personal "this sucks!" I hate daylight savings time! Hate the disruption (as one who works on Sundays almost all the time!). I hate it most in the spring.

I am NOT a morning person. So, Winter is coming to a close, I'm getting used to getting up, then it starts to get light, then, all of a sudden, it's daylight savings. Now, I still try to get up at 7AM but now it's totally black outside.

I have a hard enough time getting up in the morning. When it has been light, then suddenly goes totally dark when I have to get up, it is really hard & it sucks. So much harder to get up when it's dark! Come, on, how many people are out in the fields?!! Almost none!!

There you go, my two cents. As a total night owl, I hate daylight savings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:36PM

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:42PM

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:45PM

I do too. I was working in a clinical setting yesterday for a school project and my mentor that I was volunteering for mentioned how different the kids he worked with were after daylight savings. They are developmentally challenged and he said they just acted crazy after the change...couldn't concentrate, couldn't perform regularly. My own children have done the same. I do like that it's lighter out now, but damn, it takes some serious adjustments. It's like pushing the "reset" button on your body except your body doesn't accept or recognize that particular message. :(

Posted by: too much joy ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:56PM

My grandmother used to say that Daylight Saving Time was invented by men who like to play golf after work.

It is not for children, who hate going to bed in daylight and walking to school in the dark (dangerous).
It is not for mothers of children.
It is not for hard workers who have to get up early.

It is for golfers, and the whole country must revolve around them.

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 12:55AM

There are larks and owls. I am a serious night owl. I LOVE day lights savings!

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 08:35AM

After the time change, especially in the spring, there is a spike in suicides and accident rates which drops off over the next week. The brain isn't designed to handle sudden changes and the spring time change especially screws up our body's internal clock and rhythems. Lets just pick a time and keep with it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:14PM

How come those who are unable to set their clocks hate DST ?

I love DST !

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:18PM

I have to get up when my dog gets up and she can't read a clock.

I LOVE dst. I wish we could have it all year long.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:27PM

We actually DID have it all year long.
I believe the year was 1973.
it was not a good idea.
School kids were walking to school in the dark.

Posted by: Hane ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 12:02PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We actually DID have it all year long.
> I believe the year was 1973.
> it was not a good idea.
> School kids were walking to school in the dark.

I remember this clearly. Kids were waiting for the bus at dark bus stops, and the practice was ended because of safety concerns.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:35PM

Ha! I totally agree. My kid missed the bus, and I was late to work, TWICE this week!

Absurd practice. Nobody farms anymore. (Which, in my understanding is the original reason for DST - to give farmers an extra hour of daylight to get that field plowed and planted).

;o)

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:06PM

clocks do not drive a farm day, the sun does.

Posted by: markrichards ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:48AM

Having grown up on a multi-purpose farm, it depends.

Mostly, when we had cows, which had to be milked twice a day or they go dry (or reduce production), WE set their schedule, Now for those of you who have never been around a milk cow, they are not too picky as to milking time. Our time was 5 AM; so we did get up a little bit earlier when the tim e change switched, but not a whole hour. That was my experience. We kept three to five cows and had two milking machines. We were not a dairy, as much as Father would trade or sell raw milk or cream to a neighbor that made cheese, or Mom would pasteurize the milk for the following reasons.

We also had a spare home on our property, which was occupied by charity cases from a local ward. If that family had children, my father gave them the milk. The charity case arrangement was the male and able bodied boys were 'supposed' to help on the farm or actively seeking work, even if it was on another farm. The spare house was a 3/1 built after WWII for the original owners son. It was not a bad house, a lot smaller than the main house, which actually had two bathrooms with those claw foot tubs and showers over the tub.

We also had a single wide house trailer in a portion of the barn where mobile/transient males that helped Dad or were working on other farms but had no place to stay, would live. Some guy would walk up to Dad and ask for work; either cash or room and food. Unlike the people standing on the side of the road with those funny signs, these people actually worked.

When it came to tilling fields, harvesting alfalfa, beets, wheat, corn or potatoes (our main crops that we rotated for grew based upon the co-op plantings), we did not own the big harvesters (except the alfalfa equipment), they belonged to a co-op, so we scheduled planting times and harvest times with the 10 other farmers so everyones crop would not mature at the same time. Then something would break down, and you are off a day or two.

I remember being on the beet harvester throughout the night until daylight getting in a crop. Dad and I spent 18 to 20 hour days, just because he wanted to get it done. After those all nighters, we would come home, clean up and crash. The co-op also owned portable flood lights.

We owned our own alfalfa equipment, since it was our 'cash' crop and alfalfa has to be cut, baled and stored in a certain time frame or it is useless.

A neighbor grew rye; years later, the night of my father's funeral, I found out the 'rumors' I heard about Mr. Whitcomb were true. He made his own rye whiskey. So much for the Word of Wisdom. His daughter, a girl I went out with but never really thought about anything serious, dropped by with some of her Dad's 'recipe.' Not being a very good TBM, we both had a few shots.

The clock in the kitchen was there for show. Our big meal was lunch. Dinner was what most would call a snack. My parents called what most call lunch 'dinner,' and they called 'supper' what most consider 'dinner.' I had to really adjust when I struck out in the real world.

We also had a two acre garden adjacent to the house, which Mom used for items we would not buy in a store (which was 10 miles away). Herbs, tomatoes, pumpkins.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 04:01PM

I think it's more for afternoon recreation; BBQing, maybe a trip out on the boat, etc.

Date: March 16, 2013 07:29PM

My dad grew up on a farm in the midwest. Morning chores were in the dark with the animals in the barn - feeding, mucking stalls, grooming, milking the cows. The rest of the day, and late into the evening (as long as daylight allowed) was dedicated to the endless tractor rides up and down the fields - plowing, planting, and harvesting.

Seriously, he always told me DST was instituted to get an extra hour of late-day work in for the farmers! Aww hell, somebody google this bad boy. Now I'm feeling all OCD about knowing the answer. (Just got back from a long walk and I'm too pooped to do it myself).

Or not.

;o)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 07:41PM

Sugar beet harvest in ND is a sight to behold. It happens in early October, when the days are short and rapidly getting shorter, and they have to get the beets harvested before it gets cold enough to freeze them in the ground, which can happen even in October.

The beet harvest runs 24/7, and the radio stations and smartphone apps carry reports of the lengths of the truck lines at the various stockpiling gates, so the trucks can get back out into the fields as fast as possible. It resembles a military campaign. Seriously. Big honking light bars on the harvesters.

Farming is massive amounts of hurry up and wait. Clocks are of relatively little importance.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 08:04PM

Cows need to be milked at the same time each day and that doesn't change just because the clocks were moved. And you can't do most farmwork without light so it doesn't matter if that light is designated as "morning" light or "afternoon" light -- you don't get any more of it!

However, Daylight Saving Time supposedly helps save energy by extending the light closer to when most folks normally go to bed.

"Daylight Saving Time has been used in the U.S. and in many European countries since World War I. At that time, in an effort to conserve fuel needed to produce electric power, Germany and Austria took time by the forelock, and began saving daylight at 11:00 p.m. on April 30, 1916, by advancing the hands of the clock one hour until the following October."

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/e.html

Oh, and I hate Daylight Saving Time too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 08:05PM by Rebeckah.

Date: March 17, 2013 02:19AM

There's our definitive answer! Thank you.

;o)

Date: March 17, 2013 02:27AM

(stilll hopped up on goofballs -- sorry if the link explains why DST is dumb w/r/t energy)

Posted by: aaabbb ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 05:49PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 05:55PM

It's spring break, so I didn't have to work the next couple of days afterwards. As both a creature of habit and an insomniac, I absolutely despise DST. It fucks up my sleep for 2 to 3 weeks- I'm tired, irritable, and hungry from the lack of sleep.

Too much joy's explanation makes perfect sense to me. Golf is a rich man's game, and we know they like things their way and can pay the fee...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 07:23PM

You will notice that the streets near those time zone boundaries are not littered with the carcasses of people whose bodies could not adopt to the constant time zone shifting.

DST mostly suffers from a bad name. If it were called Standard Time, and there was a Winter Time Setback for 4 and a half months in the winter, people would be whining about how they hate how early it gets dark during WTS.

"Standard Time" is every bit as artificial as DST, and not even much older. It dates to the mid to late 1800s, and basically was created by and for the railroads and the telegraph - US Civil War era, more or less.

Come June, it will be early dawn before 5 am in Seattle, even with DST. Without, it would be getting light before 4 am. Since most people's schedules are set by the clock, not by the sun, an extra hour of daylight in the evening is more useful than having it at 4 am, when the vast majority of people are sleeping, or trying to.

Hang in there, Beth. Ridiculous amounts of daylight will be arriving in Seattle in just a few more weeks. Also, very long sunrises and sunsets - the sun will be crossing the horizon at a very flat angle. It takes forever to get really dark at night up there.

Seattle is not quite far enough north, but Calgary is, where in late June, the night sky never gets beyond deep dusk. You have to be away from the city lights to see it, but the sunset portion of the sky keeps moving from NW to N to NE, and and then the sun up in the NE. I was at a party with some Calgarians once, and I mentioned this to them, and none of them believed me. We were in a rural area, and stayed up until 1 am, and sure enough, the northern sky still had a bit of light to it. Did wonders for my science credibility!

Date: March 17, 2013 02:26AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 02:28AM by Beth.

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 07:34PM

Only the government would believe that you can remove a foot of fabric from the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom of the same blanket, and have a longer blanket.

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 07:54PM

To be fair, I hate both the spring and fall clock changes. They both mess things up for me. My dog takes her job as our alarm clock very seriously, but she is not aware of the time change. So in the fall, when everyone else got to sleep in an hour, I didn't.

There's more daylight in the summer and less in the winter, with a bigger difference the farther north you are. That is true no matter what you do with the clock.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 02:06AM

Ok, I just hate it. Just leave the time alone. We can deal with it being dark/light at different times. It changes. We can handle it. Just leave the damn clocks out it!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 12:08PM

I like it because it means warmer weather is on the way and I hate to drive home in the dark on a dark little two-lane country road. Of course I am being a totally selfish butt about it.

Okay, flame away, darlings! I can take it.

StalkerDog™ is all ready too...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.