Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fineline ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 12:52AM

I love this board and all the people here.

I really want and need to communicate with others who understand what it's like to be me. Lately I need that more than ever!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:04AM

I think you'll get some responses in the morning.

Keep topping your thread for sure.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 07:45PM

Only my daughter joined up with the Mormons. My other daughter, her dad and I are not happy and tried to keep her from being entangled in it. She struggled with her decision for 5 or 6 yrs. Three yrs. after marriage and a sure bankrupcy was coming up, she did it.

Her decision to marry into a rabid Mormon family made it pretty clear she whould do that eventually. BUT I held on to hope. Then I cried. Then like 15 months later she went to the temple and I cried more. But that night there was a huge storm in Vegas. It never rains here as it did that night. I told myself it was because God was crying too.

She was in love and had lots of pressure put on her and did not live in my state when she converted. I am still very hurt she did this and now is putting my 3 yr. old grandson thru all the indoctrination. IMO my daughter doesn't understand to this day any of the crap the LDS church teaches. I do hope she will wise up one day. You are not alone. Hang on to truth and let the rest of your family wallow in judgemental Mormonism. You will always be happier. Find new friends when you feel down...some can become new family if yours is putting you down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 11:32AM by honestone.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 02:00AM

I was that daughter and I finally woke up. My dad was in your position as was the rest of my family. When and if she does wake up, please let us know.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:33AM

Thanks....it is people like you who give me hope.

Date: March 16, 2013 03:25AM

Thank you Beth. I will do that. I'm feeling alone lately. Like I'm the only one in the world that did not join TSCC with the rest of their family. But I know that can't possibly be true. It just feels like it right now.

Date: March 16, 2013 05:16AM

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 08:38AM

In my ward there was only one family with 3 generations attending but extended family were non mormon.

I am from a part-member family (mother TBM but father Anglican). Various levels of devotion to both kinds of worship with feet in both, one or exploring even other camps.

As the first of the 3 generations die off then the net spreads a little wider. The church has not managed to get a firm grip on families over here so tends to tread more softly - that's why we have mormonism lite - for now.

But now, with the internet and exposure, the final generation is dwindling away and I hear that middle-aged members are more prevalent, with inactive or NOM kids.

Just my own observation in this region.

Briggy

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 04:15PM

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 05:58PM

You poor soul. Are you really the only nonmember in your family? Do you mean your parents, or who? Spouse, children? Tell us more detail.

How does your family behave? Do they presssure you? Are you just left out in the cold? Which family members joined and how long has this been going on??

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 05:59PM

I was the opposite, by the way. I was the only convert in my family...

Date: March 16, 2013 06:41PM

Hi Christina. 35 years ago my mom, dad, and all 3 siblings joined. Now there are spouses and a zillion kids and grandkids that have joined them.

The pressure I feel sometimes is more than I can handle. I've been hospitalized a few times for it and have been on medication forever and lots of therapy. My husband is very supportive and loving, but really has no way to fully understand what this does to me.

I think the reason I am losing my grip lately is because my mom moved in with me a few months ago, following her divorce, so now the guilt that I thought I had under control is hitting me hard again. (The guilt of feeling I should have tried harder to keep them all from joining 35 years ago. I did try, but obviously not hard enough.)

I love my mom so much and it really hurts me to see this game she plays everyday of pretending she's happy in her religion, but knowing what a failure she actually feels like.

The only way I can get through my day is to come on rfm and read stories about all of you, because I can relate. I love seeing the recovery that others are going through. I don't see a chance of recovery for myself, but this board sure helps me "hold on".

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 06:53PM

Why does your mom feel like a failure, Fineline?

Date: March 16, 2013 07:15PM

For one thing she feels she should have been able to hold her marriage together to her lying cheating priesthood husband (my dad). Also she feels she doesn't go to the temple enough and doesn't get to SM often enough.

Posted by: catwallada ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 06:10PM

I'm in almost the same position. My immediate family (I don't have extended family) are all Mormons apart from my sister who is an exmo after 5 years in TSCC. I totally understand how suffocating it can be being the only nevermo. I'm happy to chat.

Date: March 16, 2013 07:25PM

Oh my goodness! I got chills. You know exactly how I feel! Now I have a million questions! How did they get your whole family to join, but not you?

Posted by: catwallada ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 06:22AM

Well, to cut a long story short, I just couldn't believe in it. I wanted to but I just couldn't. I didn't even get the warm fuzzies when I prayed to see if it was true. I had doubts the whole time I was investigating and then finally a lesson (ironically) on avoiding apostasy set off serious alarm bells and, since I'd refused to be rushed into baptism, I remained a nevermo. It wasn't easy though. I was under immense pressure and my parents wouldn't let the missionaries leave me alone until I moved into my own place.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 08:19PM

Get your other out of your house pronto !!

Having a guilt-inducing mother right on top of you is poisoning your life.

Date: March 16, 2013 08:26PM

Leah, I agree with you. For some reason my siblings are all now ignoring our mother since the divorce. They are blaming her for messing up their family time in the CK. And I as usual am trying to hold this ridiculous family together. And my moms nonmo siblings stay away from her also.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 02:59PM

I don't understand this one. They are still eternally sealed to both parents, so I don't understand how their "forever family" is severed. In the afterlife, they'll all be reunited, even if mom and dad are divorced in the "earthly life."

Posted by: justsayin ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 12:48AM

Wow, how incredibly sad how mormonism divides a famiy. I have one sister out of our family that converted to mormonism. It might as well be the whole family, because she is the hero, if you know anything about dysfunctional family roles. And she had four children, who in turn gave her 10 grandchildren, so the mormons are half the family now. Anyway, all the family reunions are catered to them, even though they see each other all the time and see us maybe once or twice in five years. I feel like a stranger in my own family, and I think the mormonism stemming from the matriarchal branch has a LOT to do with it.

Date: March 17, 2013 03:28AM

Justsayin: I too feel like a stranger in my own family. And I hate the undercurrent that is always in the air at family reunions, so much phoniness and pretend smiles, when I know exactly what they think of me and they know exactly what I think of them.

Posted by: justsayin ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 09:03AM

It took me a while to figure out it was moism. My family was sick without moism but moism made it worse. Most of my life I just blamed myself and just tried to be satisfied with nothing because I felt I didn't have the right to ask for more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.