Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: psychobabble ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 06:53AM

Sometimes I envision conversations in my head with past versions of myself. Does anyone else do this? I do a lot of journaling, and so I guess I'm very aware of my past ... and when I read over old journal entries I often ask myself ... what would it be like to talk to the version of me that wrote THAT entry ... 5 years ago, or 10 years ago, etc.

I read back over some of my old entries when I was still very TBM and it is sort of frustrating. I get annoyed that I was so wrapped up in the mormon "dream." So I imagine talking to my old TBM self and you know what? I think my old TBM self would be just as stubborn and full of crazy circular emotional arguments as are many of the TBM's I talk to today that I find so aggravating.

It's a little disconcerting that I wouldn't agree with my past self. Oh well, I guess that's part of life and growth and change. Anyone else go through this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: charles, not logged in ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 07:03AM

I tend to avoid reading old entries from journals, especially my mission journal. I'm embarrassed from being embarrassed even if no one's around. Yeah, the old me was awfully cringe-worthy.

Posted by: psychobabble ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:09AM

yes I get that, but you do keep those journal entries, right? I do, anyway. As much as I have to cringe when I read them, I recognize that it's an important part of me. It's interesting to see that journey ... to see what I have been, what I am now, and what I may become.

And if I ended up doing such a 180 on deeply-held beliefs, what else might I come to change my mind on in this life? It makes me wonder.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:31AM

I've been through it. I never thought I would be a pro-gay, anti-government atheist. Life throws curveballs better than any pitcher. Reading old journal entries is like talking to a little kid: full of ridiculous ideas and small-mindedness. It's like your parents showing naked pictures of you when you were a kid to your new boyfriend or girlfriend. Some things in life are just too embarrassing.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:48AM

I don't think I could even connect with that old me at this point. The way I thought is so radically different, that I can hardly remember thinking the way I did as a TBM.

Wow, no wonder our friends say we've changed so much and they don't know how to adjust to the new "us."

I've always said, "But I'm still the same me. I haven't changed. In fact, I'm better." But thinking about it this way, yes I have changed. A lot!

Hmm. Something to think about.

Posted by: gladtobeme ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:53AM

I don't do this, but I can imagine how you feel! Then again, you can think of it as a very positive thing- thank goodness you aren't like that anymore!! Look how much you have grown and changed for the better! :)

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:57AM

Yep. I know the feeling...

I can hardly stand 'myself' from yesterday...

My history is rather embarrassing; with or without Moism...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.