Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:41AM

I have been following the BIBLE TV series on TV. It is well done and much better than the BIBLE series that the LDS gave us for a Christmas gift. I think the scene with the creation would be better used in the temple. That aside here are some observations I have made.

If the God of Isreal or the God of the old Testament is the same God as Jesus in the new testament, there was a great change that took place between the time Jesus left the Spirit world and was born.

Let me explain. This series clearly shows that the God of the old testament loves to have people killed. I never realized it until I saw this series that life was so cheap. Then Jesus shows up in the new testament and it's like love your brother, etc. I would like to have on the top Church leaders explain what happened.

Other observations. They sure had a clean ark inside? When they crossed the red sea. The bottom of the sea did not no have soft mud one would expect. The miracle was not the parting but the dry sea floor!!!!!!!!! The prophets clearly got messages from heavenly beings. Where are those heavenly beings today? The prophets back then were clearly leaders according to the series. I don't see that with our 21st Century prophet, Monson.

Again a good and well done series that would be good to sit down and discuss in a Gospel Doctrine class and ask real questions!!!!

My first question would be this." Compare what you see as the qualities of a prophet from the old testament as displayed in this series to today's prophet. How is their leadership the same, how is it different. Lets include JS up today's prophet. Lets put in the true his and the murders that took place etc."
This would be followed up with the next question. "Can you see and explain why people do not embrace Christianity? If someone does embrace the gospel, do they have the whole picture and if so how do they create that picture?"

Oh sorry, this would be theology and we don't teach that!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jack_i ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 12:21PM

I'm probably not the only one thinking it, but it's really being showed on the wrong Channel. The History Channel should be showing History.....not fiction. As I have said before.....if there is a sky daddy up there.......who actually said that the people of Israel are his chosen people.....why does Israel spend so much on a missile defense system? It's a legitimate question......

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 07:12PM

Unlike the Book of Mormon, most of the places, cultures and people mentioned in the Bible existed. It is the details of the Bible which are argued.
At one time early Christians didnt want the Old Testament in their Churches; but included it later so they could claim more legitimacy.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 01:00PM

I heard the best explanaition last night on 'Coast to Coast AM'. The Big Bang was cause by the collision of two universes: one of light matter and the other of dark anti-matter; it turns out that the god of the Old testament was actually a being that survived the collision, and he was from the dark anti-matter side! No wonder he was such a jerk.

Yeah, it has to be true--I heard it on 'Coast to Coast AM'!

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 05:06PM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 06:42PM

Once I stopped looking at it as the "word of God" (or worse, the
"inerrant word of God") and started looking at it as ancient
literature like the Iliad, the Odyssey, or the Satyricon, etc.
it came alive. Genesis is an absolutely brilliant work of literature.

Also the Book of Esther is interesting. God is not even
mentioned in it, and the heroine enters and wins a sex contest.
Is that cool or what?

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 01:55AM

I like that they show it on History channel because they DON'T show the BOM. I've used that as an arguing point.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 01:56AM by suckafoo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.