Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 09:49AM

And it was. When I was a kid, the bishop announced the names of the excommunicated from the pulpit. If present, they would then be invited up to apologize to the congregation.

This changed at some point when I was still real young, and after that, the names of the excommunicated and the disfellowshipped were announced in priesthood; the Aaronic Priesthood holders were invited to leave, then the names were announced, and then the Aaronic priesthood kids were invited back in. Or they would dismiss them for their classes, and then announce it. This went on for about 20 years, it seemed.

Finally, a change was instituted quietly, and it was only announced in PEC. Of course, it was the solemn duty of the attendees to go home and tell their wives (I'm sorry--their "sweethearts"). Also, you know how it's done now, too, like when some disfellowshipped guy is asked to pray in gospel doctrine class: "Oh, Brother so-and-so cannot be asked to give talks or prayers until further notice." so you're not actually SAYING that the guy got disciplined, but now you know.

So I mean, it's bad, sure. But it used to be worse. Have any other examples of how much worse it could be?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saviorjoe ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 10:41AM

Well, I couldn't imagine it worse, unless the sin was announced. Then again, in Mormondumb, sometimes it's worse if people don't hear the real reason and then speculate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.