Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:05PM

My tbm mom is the nursery leader in her ward. Se likes to tell me every Saturday about how she is busy praying and preparing her lesson for nursery. I do not mind this, even if it is a little silly and an obvious way for her to think she is talking to me about church.

Today she is making green cookies to give the kids. She wonders aloud how far she can take the st. Patrick's thing without making parents upset. I told her that as long a she didn't teach the kids to pray to st. Patrick cause he has an in with god, that she should be okay. For this I got in trouble for being sacrilegious.

Excuse me? Now I can't even say anything true-but-uncomfortable about any religion?

I hope she gives them a shamrock to color and I hope it just freaks the parents out!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:09PM

When I was a Primary counselor years ago, the kids in one class gave their talks in Primary on St. Patrick's Day. Their teacher, a long time member of the ward (I'd grown up with her kids), gave a short talk on St. Patrick without mentioning Catholicism or anything. No one complained or even batted an eye.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:12PM

She has some crazies in her ward and has been yelled before for giving stickers that were not bought at Deseret book...

Posted by: srena nli ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:19PM

In fact, I think it's safe to say it's entirely Yay Ireland Day, not at all the patron saint day it is in Ireland, acknowledged by going to Mass.

It may have Saint inthe name, but it's a secular day here for almost all Americans. So she can skip getting her undies in a bunch over such a silly thing.

I'm not Irish, but my husband's name is, although he's more Japanese than anything... (aside: before my hair turned so grey, it had a reddish tones in it, and with my chin and tip tilted, ski jump nose, I look a little Irish, but I favor the Norwegian side of my family strongly - Vikings pillaged the Irish isle plenty, bringing back Irish slaves and mixing with them, so maybe that's it) and lets remember the huge influence the Irish immigrants have had on this country.

So yay Ireland! Erin Go Braughless!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:39PM

The last time I worked in the primary, we were banned from giving treats, but that was MANY YEARS AGO and hadn't always been that way.

I hate to say it, but I loved teaching primary so much, I'd read the lesson and that was about it--unless I needed handouts. I liked handouts. Took up lots of the lesson time. Like any of them were listening. It was more babysitting--no matter what age.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 03:34PM

However, little kids in nursery are allowed a small, healthy snack, but not candy or other sweets. That's how it was when I was a counselor.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:23PM

Nursery gets snack time.

Our primary presidency did a "just so you know, we don't want you bringing treats for your primary class unless they are directly related to the lesson" a couple of years ago. A few weeks ago, the primary presidency brought homemade cookies to sharing time and bribed the kids with them. They were not tied into sharing time at all except for the random "cookies!" reminder when they weren't being reverent. I figured that since they can flat out bribe the kid with cookies, I can bring treats for my class whenever I want and not feel badly about it.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:58PM

Some TBM's would probably have found your comment funny.

I guess she is hypersensitive to all religion talk.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 02:59PM by archytas.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 04:19PM

She should give each of the kids a pint of Guiness.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.