Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:20PM

We just received a "Missionary Farewell" announcement in the mail. It has multiple pictures like a wedding announcement.

(info changed for obvious reasons)

Elder Joseph Smith
Nauvoo Illinois Mission
December 1805 - June 1844

Missionary Farewell
June 7, 1844
The Mansion House, Nauvoo, Illinois

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that there were no more missionary farewells. The bishop allows the missionary to speak in sacrament meeting, but no other member of the family is a part of the program. Has it changed back to what it was?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:22PM

My understanding is that some wards, especially of they are rich, snobby wards, just bypass the rules like this all the time. I've seen it quite a few times, including with family members who had big fairwells after the rules were changed.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 06:04PM

I still see this scoffing of Mormon laws in the Morridor.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 02:46PM

But, then again, I don't live in the Morridor. So are you supposed to send gifts or cash or something? Like you do with a wedding?

Is this normal????? (Disclaimer: OK, I realize *nothing* about Mormons is normal). But seriously, how does one respond to such an announcement?

;o)

Posted by: nevermomomofmos ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 04:32PM

Let me guess:

Is one of the pictures of the missionary with his jacket slung over his shoulder?

In every set of missionary pictures I've seen there is one of those. I guess they think they look suave and debonair. haha

I have never received an announcement in the mail. I don't know if I'd respond. I suppose it would depend on how close you are to the person? An easy response would be to send a card I guess. I've only done something when I've had gransons return home. I gave them both iTunes gift cards and a card.

I've seen many farewell announcements and who will be attending type posts on facebook. Off topic but also for mo weddings which I think are very tacky.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 05:56PM

I've seen these too. Pictures of the missionary posed noble and self-sacrificing on the invitation to the farewell, with some kind of get together afterward. The one that sounded the best was an ice cream social in the park next to the chapel after sacrament meeting. Then, one of the pictures is blown up life sized and made into a cardboard cutout to keep in the family room while the child serves. Sometimes this cutout even takes the place of the missionary in pictures at weddings/baptisms etc. that happen while said missionary is out in the field ...

It is out of control.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 06:05PM

And to think I got ten minutes sandwiched between high councilors. Didn't I feel special.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 06:06PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.