Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shell ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 03:10PM

Its hard when all of the biggest decisions in your life was largely based on the church. You start to question every thing and you feel like you don't know who you really are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 03:14PM

Yes, YEs and YEs. But as you practice making more choices the better it gets. THe more confident you become. Like others have said here, you begin to own you choices and except the mistakes that come with that but it's SO much better then being told over and over how to behave, what to do, how to do it, when to do it etc and then all the guilt that seems to follow.

It's scary at first but seriously it just keeps on getting easier and better. I've been out 5 1/2 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 03:15PM by luvcake.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:14AM

Shell,

I started taking care of #1 a few years ago....

I learned to speak in first person...

"It's hard when all of the biggest decisions of MY life were largely based on the church. I started to question everything and I felt like I didn't know who I really am."

Ever notice how most people do not talk in first person? Especially someone who has gone thru alot of trauma?

Take it for a test drive...

All the best to you!

Posted by: Anon this time ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 12:43PM

I've got an ex-Mormon friend who at the time of being a believer thought God had answered his prayers and inspired him to be an actor. He took this very seriously changing from an engineering degree to a theatre degree. He focused his entire life on "making it in Hollywood" because he THOUGHT God had told him that was his purpose in life. Now he is an middle aged atheist, broke and living LA. Now I think he questions his "purpose" in life and is just kind of dangling there not really knowing if acting was the best path he should have taken.

Posted by: antonymous ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 12:54PM

I find it has been a truly liberating thing. Before leaving, I would "study it out in my mind" and then if god wanted it to happen it would.
Now I have complete ownership. I make the choice based on a far more reasoned process. No more "if its meant to be" rubbish. I chose, rightly or wrongly. It's all me. EMPOWERING!!!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 01:08PM

As a member, I had been told my whole life:

1) who I was (a daughter of God, a wife, a mother, etc)
2) what my purpose was (prove my worthiness, return to heavenly father, live eternally with my loved ones, and eventually have worlds of my own)
3) what would make me happy (obedience, service, reading scriptures, praying, following all the rules)

This gave me a strong sense of direction in my life. When I stopped believing, I felt lost. But in reality, I was no more lost than I had been all along. The difference was that I finally REALIZED it.

Leaving the church forced me to really think about who I wanted to be, what I wanted to do in my life, what I really believed and valued, and what makes me happy. Realizing I was lost was the first step to finding myself.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.