Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 04:47PM

I have seen several counselors in the mental health field, but they have disappointed me. I think the biggest reason for this is the fact that they have nearly all been Mormon. This is the last thing that happened to me: I was living in Mississippi, happily away from Utah, but I wasn't earning a lot of money, and I lived way out in the woods. I had a car accident, and since there was no reliable public transportation, and since I used my car for my job, I had to move back to my parents' house in Utah. My parents thought it would be good for me to meet with others for group therapy. I did so, but whenever I brought up the issue that I think has harmed me the most (the Mormon Church) everybody else clammed up or ignored me, including the counselors. 10 years ago, I met with a psychologist, and when I finally brought up the issue of Mormonism he just said, "you can believe what you want to believe", in a somewhat offended way, and we never spoke of the issue again. At BYU I saw a psychologist who was also a bishop and who did not listen much to me; all he did was talk, talk, talk. If he would have listened to me he would have learned how I felt about the Church. On my mission, I saw two counselors who talked me into staying on my mission when I wanted to leave. Before my mission I saw a counselor, but he never talked about what I was worried about, which was whether or not to serve a mission.

So it is understandable that I would not want anything to do with psychologists at all. The only reason I went to the recent group therapy was because I had just been forced to return home from Mississippi. But the reason I had to come home was because of limited earnings, and the reason I went there in the first place was because of frustration due to financial trouble; I wanted to live among poor people to feel better.

I have had trouble finding my "niche" in society, meaning a well paid job and career. A lot of this has been because Mormon problems have interfered. Mormonism can't be blamed for everything, but I can say that a supportive, understanding network of kind adults is very helpful in finding a career. I don't have this kind, supportive network, since I have isolated myself from Mormons. A psychologist who knows about cult indoctrination and about Mormonism might be able to help me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 05:44PM

Check out Marlene Winell's website. She recently spoke at the 2011 Ex-Mormon Foundation Conference. She may be of help to you. Other ex-Mormons who have worked with her told me she was very helpful.

http://www.marlenewinell.net/

http://www.exmormonfoundation.org/files/media/2011Conference/03%20Marlene%20Winell.mp3

Even someone not specializing in cult indoctrination or Mormonism who is a good (non-Mormon) therapist should be able to help. Your core issues are likely similar to anyone else's (since we humans are a lot alike), although they have a Mormon twist.A good therapist should be able to help with a little education about Mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 05:58PM by robertb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.