Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 07:51PM

When I was growing up in the cult, everything I said & did that even had a whiff of feminism or equal rights for women was criticized. As a young adult in the cult, it became worse. When I was a Primary counselor, it made me sick that I actually wasn't in charge of anything, & had to answer to a man, simply because I was the wrong gender.

Despite all of the advancements of women, all I can see is how I'm always going to make less than a man who has less of an education. I'm always going to work harder for less. I feel less too. Even in modern society, all I see are women treating each other like garbage, & judging each other over woefully pitiful things. All that on top of seeing men still treating women like shit. I'm constantly being judged in ways that I can't take anymore. I'm sick of being judged for just being who I am. I know that as an adult I should be used to this bullshit, & should just suck it up, but I can't deal with it anymore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sstone ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 08:02PM

I hear you! Sometimes I think I'm more aware of it now because of all the years I spent Mormon when I didn't notice it at all. Like I'm making up for lost time or something.

The long and short of it is this, women who are nice get walked all over and when they start growing a backbone people get angry. It's like these same people who've been walking all over you for years feel entitled to do it forever and when they can't, you're the problem. Many of them are completely incapable of looking at their own behavior.

I hear you and I'm sorry. It really does suck. But hey, at least you can see it now, right? Take a deep breath, get some sleep, and try again tomorrow. Here's some mood music for you.

http://youtu.be/q7yCLn-O-Y0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 08:04PM by sstone.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 08:07PM

I even realized it as a kid. I've had to deal with it my entire life, & it's just breaking me down.

Posted by: sstone ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 08:12PM

(((hugs))) I am sorry. :-(

Posted by: Never Mo but raised Fundie ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 08:38PM

I don't know if it is helpful or not but there ARE places where it is the norm for men and women to be seen as equals. I haven't had problems here. (I'm female / Georgia.)

No-one should have to put up with being treated that way.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 08:49PM

Obviously, last years election season showed us that there are many out there who still perceive women in unflattering terms- Either we're sluts who want free birth control or sluts who don't know the meaning of rape or sluts who deserve to be beaten.

Keep fighting the good fight. It's painfully hard and you'll probably be called a bitch or a dyke or a c---, but it's just words and treated by some like you're just a vagina, but fuck'em. We're winning the war, slowly, but surely.

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:00PM

What hurts most is that a couple of women I mentored ended up bringing me down. The SMART men (2 of 8) (men who had mother's that worked) were disgusted with the "mean girls".

I am just hopeful more men who had working Mom's can influence the workforce. They do understand gender bias and backbiting women.

RAWRRRRRR!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 09:01PM by laurel.

Posted by: cajunruby ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:27PM

Its been my guiding star. Women included. I am often sickened by the fact that women dont support each other. Just makes it easier for men to write it off to *hormones*. Did you know female doctors are less likely to believe a female patient when she says she is in pain than a male doctor. Wtf?

I never talk bad about myself, even if im feeling bad about myself. I will not keep company of people who are sexist although I will spend time encouraging women to support themselves and other women. I've made a few male enemies that way. Oh well. It makes it easier if you arent around that kind of crap constantly, choose your friends carefully. Keep your head up there are some people who dont make you feel that way.dont make yourself feel that way either, scoop out all the negative thoughts and replace em with something positive about yourself . Pretty soon youll feel better! Vagina roar!

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 02:37AM

"There is a special place in Hell for women who don't help other women." - Madeleine Albright

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.