Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: miner8 ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 08:57PM

Every year they come and I tell them to go away and not come back. Last time I got a sign telling them not to knock and put it right on my door. One came today and knocked anyways. I said, "learn to read, ##tch!!!" and slammed the door in her face. I really could have chose a better word but it just seems to me that being nice never works, signs don't work and requests don't work. I'm often doing something important and I am still recovering somewhat from cult. I'm really sick of this.

Edit: So far the violators of my "do not soclicit/do not religious solicit" sign include Schwans and Jehovas Witnesses. Speaking to others I have found an alarming reason why they are so disrespectful. Apparently some companies (religions are a form of company) teach their salesmen that if there is a sign put up on the door, there are higher chances that a vulnerable or weak person lives there. The perception is that someone might be attempting to protect a weak old lady, a retarded person or someone else that could be an easy sale. The think the sign is a bluff used to hide a potential easy sale. Also a JW told me I have no right to stop God's work!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 08:46AM by miner8.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:13PM

Tell them you are an Atheist.

That did it for us.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 11:33PM

whatiswanted Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tell them you are an Atheist.
>
> That did it for us.

Tell them you are Baha'i! The JW's believe that the touch of a Baha'i will turn them into Baha'i.

All praise the Bahaul'lah! (grin)

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:30PM

The second set that came to your door may have not known
about previous efforts by their group -- so it's too much
to expect that the JWs will remember not to bother you.

If the warning sign did not work (some people can barely
read, and for others the words simply don't reach them) --
then something bigger, bolder and better might be the answer.

I don't know what, exactly. I live in a little cul-de-sac
neighborhood, where the residents have chipped-in together
to post a rather obvious and intimidating sign, warning
trespassers and solicitors away, at risk to their well being.

Still, when the little girl scout came by with the cookies,
I didn't have the heart to yell at her.

I guess it all depends upon what works and what doesn't.

UD

Posted by: cajunruby ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:31PM

They believe killing in war is murder, they will be scared of the possible murderer living there. Worked for us even though it was true my husband was military.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:38PM

A few years ago I was home sick. I was wearing my usual home attire of a nice pair of shorts and a t-shirt. The t-shirt was a blood donor t-shirt you get when you donate blood. I must have 20 or more of those,

The door bell rang and I got up off the couch. I answered the door and the two ladies eyes got huge staring at my shirt. Initially I thought I was looking more obnoxious than normal. My shirt had a great red heart on it stating I was a blood donor. I did not think about what I was wearing when I answered the door, but laughed quietly to myself after they left when I realized what had just happened.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:41PM

I'll bet they chose to not stay too long. *LOL*

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 11:52PM

I also found that wearing one of my blood drive t-shirts worked in getting the JW's to leave me alone, as they haven't been back in a few years. I have a small collection of those shirts as I donate blood whenever I can.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 02:40AM

So why are they freaked out by donating blood?

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 04:15AM

I had a JW tell me they are "not to drink another's blood".

So they see a pint of blood administered in an ER as forcing someone to "drink someone's blood".

Since the drinking of blood has been stated as a common Satanic ritual they would think someone who donated blood was a Satanist covertly, if not overtly.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:59PM

Well, they were rude first by ignoring your sign. I guess, like Mormons, they have no boundaries.

Posted by: miner8 ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:55PM

That's what I say. I think we are just too nice to these kinds of people who just ignore us. We enable them by being polite. Being rude-even extremely rude when they deserve it might be just what they need to see their job as unpleasant. It might encourage them to leave the cult or at the very least pass up the house next time.
Every one of these cults think they need not obey rules because they are just the ones that have God on their side. Every one of them.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:01PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 10:02PM by donbagley.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:04PM

Just invite them to your birthday party. That will scare them.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 04:33AM

Yep. Tell them you're celebrating your birthday and will be offended if they don't join you for a big piece of celebratory birthday cake and a rousing verse of "Happy Birthday to you."

Celebrating holidays and birthdays is to JDubs as coffee is to Mormons--a seemingly small thing to non-believers that is a major taboo for adherents.

Predators and the boundaryless count on the politeness of their prey. Ignoring a very clear sign on the door because they think they're so special that an exception should be made for them IS boundaryless. THEY were the ones who were rude and their wrong-headed "we're special" thinking, no matter how allegedly well-intended, does not excuse such rudeness.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 10:02AM

"Celebrating holidays and birthdays is to JDubs as coffee is to Mormons"

Hahaha! It's true!

Posted by: sstone ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 11:32PM

You could invite them in and start peppering them with questions about what happens to members that leave.

Posted by: cajunruby ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 11:34PM

Before I discovered the murder in war, I was doing a huge revamp of my flower beds working my tail off when up walks 3 jw's. The guy asks me if he could share a passage from the bible with me. I just said if you really feel you need to but I've got work to do here so grab a bag of mulch and follow while you talk. They left and didnt come back for a long time. Guess mulching isn't the lords work.

I do wonder if being nice is the answer, I am usually unwelcoming and have been irate once when they wouldn't leave but that was with some baptists.

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 11:39PM

Several years ago, the JWs came to my old apartment. They said they wanted to talk about religion, so I said, "Sure. There are two of us here. One's a Jew, one's a Pagan. Which one do you want to talk to?"

They were gone so fast I'm not sure they weren't beamed back up to the mothership. ;)

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 11:43PM

"No thanks. I already have a cult I'm recovering from."

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 11:45PM

It's funny that you're not concerned with being rude, just overly rude.

They probably didn't notice the expletive as it's not in their vocabulary, and the mere fact that you said something to them puts you at the top of the list for a repeat visit. They will remember you as the chatty one.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 12:24AM

Our sign reads, "NO DOOR TO DOOR SALES OR RELIGIONS!"

Now, if my neighbor's kid comes over selling chocolates and girl scout cookies, I always make a purchase...

It's the snake-oil sales and JWs that I am screening here...

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 03:49AM

Tell them you're a faithful Mormon and that you have a special message for them and then try and force them to take a Book of Mormon. That's what I did to get rid of the JW's :)

Posted by: What? ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 04:34AM

It doesn't matter how someone else is acting, especially in situations like this. If YOU are rude, it makes you look trashy and possibly unbalanced. Why would you want that?

If you were in a situation where you felt your life or safety was being threatened, obviously, you do what you have to do to protect yourself without worrying about manners. This was not such a situation.

Send a letter to the local Kingdom Hall and tell them to announce that your address should not be visited. They have like five meetings a week, at least one of which, I believe, devoted to proselytizing efforts. That would probably take care of it.

Remember, these people are under cult control, too. Have some compassion for a fellow human being. And remember that acting like that will only reinforce their belief that "outsiders" are evil.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:16AM

Certainly not if you have a no soliciting sign - they should respect that. I had a visit too this week but fell into a different approach, as they were two youngish women and I have no signs for them to respect:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,826040,826514#msg-826514

Briggy

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:29AM

I don't answer or acknowledge a knock or doorbell at my door unless I know someone is coming. People should call first or be invited. Just because someone knocks, it doesn't mean you have to answer. I hear on the news about home invasions where someone had answered the door to an unknown visitor and I think, "Why did you answer the door?"

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:51AM

If I were you, I'd pretend to be willing to listen for a couple seconds. Then, as soon as they mention the Bible say, "Hang on a second! You really expect me to learn about a book from someone who obviously can't read?!?" Burst out laughing at them and THEN slam the door in their face.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:56AM

New sign on door

"Demonic Possession Within" and underneath

"You have been warned through God's grace"

Wouldn't that give any fundy pause?

Any other ideas for our OP?

Ana

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 12:15PM

Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 12:27PM

A guy I knew got approached by JW women. He asked to borrow their bible and read them 1 Timothy 2:12:

"I do not permit a woman to teach, or to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.