Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jl ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 06:41AM

Days ago, I watched a documentary called "Bully."

And the following is what came to my mind after wathching it:

I've often thought of TSCC as an organization of bullies.

When kids encounter bullies at school, they can tell the teachers and parents, who often don't do much about it. But at least the kids find comfort and support at home or in another way.

But, to those of us who,in good conscience, decide NOT to believe in TSCC and all its teachings any more, the bullying comes from within the walls we call home. Even if you still believe, being an LGBT person negates your belief and efforts. You are treated as traitors. If your families don't do that, they will be shunned by their friends and extended families. So, it's better if this burden falls on you alone. And so...

You are shunned by your very own family.

So, you have nowhere to turn, no where to run if you are not old enough to be on your own.

And some decide to leave the toxic environment they used to call "home." Others suffer silently. And still others end themselves.

So, yes, TSCC is an organization of bullies and they are proud of it. They are proud of "standing firm in truth," when the very act of it is against all that their Christ teaches and expects of them--love one another.

For that very reason, they are not just bullies. They are bullies AND hypocrites.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 07:07AM

Any organization that warns you of punishment to come in an afterlife can be said to be a bullying organization. Therefore, everything said in the original post does indeed happen in the mind when that bullying occurs. Look at how difficult it is for many people to leave the church even when they no longer believe. Brilliant observation.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 08:39AM

Why is it so typical for Mormons to automatically go into bullying mode rather than to offer attractive, persuasive, joyful reasons to continue believing? Because other than Forever Families and vague ideas about eternal happiness and exaltation, they've got nothing. And because, I suspect, most Mormons aren't really happy themselves. I suspect the message behind their bullying is, "Dammit, I have to put up with this church crap, so you'd better do it too."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.