Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:33AM

I was digging around the internet and found this quote

"Every man who lived on the earth," Joseph said to them, "was entitled to a seer stone, and should have one, but they are kept from them in consequence of their wickedness, and most of those who do find one make evil use of it."

(Brigham Young's journal, as quoted in Latter-day Millennial Star, 26:118,119)

We are taught by JS himself that we all get these stones in the next millennium (its the withe stone from revelations, I think it kinda fits the description of my iphone, but that is another thread and topic)

even the BoM mosiah 8:13 says seers have stones,
13 Now Ammon said unto him: I can assuredly tell thee, O king, of a man that can atranslate the records; for he has wherewith that he can look, and translate all records that are of ancient date; and it is a gift from God. And the things are called interpreters, and no man can look in them except he be commanded, lest he should look for that he ought not and he should perish. And whosoever is commanded to look in them, the same is called seer.

and btw seers are better than prophets too, only the best of the best should be leading the church after all.

in the ancient church, seers had the stones, even in the early restoration of the church in this day and age the first prophet had the stones, and pardon my pun had big enough stones to proclaim it far and wide.

point is, we sustain the leaders as prophets SEERS and revelators, being seers implies they should 'have the stones.' so to speak.

I thought for a moment that GBH had the stones when he went on TV, but he seemed unsure.

every now and agian one of those guys act like the might have the stones, but none actually reveal it to be the case.

so do your sustain leaders really have the stones to be seers? or are they hiding their lights under a bush..el?

I just don't know, maybe we should ask to see their stones...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:35AM

Yes, but they're shrivelled.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:48AM

It's in a vault.
In the 1970's/80's there was a short-lived thaw toward church historians. They were given unprecedented access to hidden/secret stuff the church has.
Leonard Arrington was the probably the first church historian who was an actual academic historian...but that soon posed problems for the church since real historians try to find out what really happened...unlike previous charlatans who just propped-up the church's propaganda.
Turns out, of course, that's what the church expects from its "historians". Arrington was quietly released early, unannounced, and the vaults were closed and remain off-limits today.
That rock is still sitting there, along with who knows what else the church won't show. I'd be surprised if they're not sitting on a pre-publication Book of Mormon manuscript.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 12:06PM

Yes - there are actually more than one in the vault and Grant tried to get photos, but they wouldn't allow it.

I swear I remember seeing photos somewhere of the ones they have.

The only way the Mormon church can reconcile the huge mass of garbage they have spewed for years is to step back from ALL of it at once. The piecemeal method, one issue at a time, does not resolve anything, in fact, FAIR has made the church a subject of ridicule.

And you know how youth especially shun anything that is being made fun of. Which is why I believe that South Park and Book of Mormon musical have done as much to reduce the legitimacy of the Mormon con as the research approach, i.e. Mormonthink and the anecdotal/support approach, RfM and others.

In combination, it is just devastating and I feel well satisfied that the Mormon Church that we knew 20 years ago is gone. The religio-corporation that took its place is temporary and will fall as a result of greed. History has shown this has ALWAYS happened eventually.

It brings me comfort and I hope it does you, too.

Another ten years and Mormon youth will be asking, "Stone? What stone?" and someone will answer,

"In the old days there was some stone involved with the Book of Mormon, we don't know exactly how, it's a mystery."

"Oh, ok, pass me my double combination, will you?"

Anagrammy

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 12:13PM

so it's safe to say they don't have the stones to show us the stones ;)

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 12:49PM

Strangely enough, we took our kids there after we left Mormonism.

It's been a long time, but the one we saw was brownish, and not transparent, as I would have expected. I was kind of confused because I thought the Urim and Thummin was supposed to be glass that you look through.

I just searched the web for pictures of it, but couldn't find any.

Posted by: _nomoremo ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 02:14PM

didn't one of the top 15 (iirc Cooke)fly first class with the 'stones'and bare testiphony of the gospul?

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 02:14PM

kidney or gall?

i would guess that Monsoon has kidney, based on his consumption of Pepsi...

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 02:20PM

Breedumyung, that made laugh.

I'm sure those old guys have plenty of stones. We definitely don't need to see them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.