Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 03:28PM

Sometimes I'll make eye contact with someone at church and wonder "hey, what if they're secret ex-mos?" Does anyone else do that, regardless of how realistic it is?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 03:34PM

I have a good friend who I really thought was a secret exmo, just keeping things under wraps until his mom died. But he just got set apart as a high priest a few weeks ago so I had to sigh and accept the fact he was probably just an unenthusiastic believer.

I also look for ex-bishop Jackwagon and the First Minion occasionally when someone mentions something rare that pertains to them. For example, BJ has a rather weird pet and I've heard posters mention they have that same pet, so I'll go back and read their old posts until I'm convinced it's just a pet coincidence. The reality is that while there are people I wish would show up here or that I suspect are secret exmos, like so much in life I think I'm going to be surprised at who actually leaves Mormonism. I would never have pegged me as someone who would leave, for example. I guess I should be nicer to those who seem the most brainwashed because you never know when they might need me.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 05:36PM

I wondered that occasionally too, but living in Orem, it seems that everyone in my neighborhood is a perfect morgbot. If there are any, they are very deeply closeted.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 07:37PM

No need to wonder. You know they are.

Date: March 17, 2013 08:54PM

Oh, and kind of related, sometimes my bishop will make eye contact with me when he's saying hello in the hall and he just has _that_ look. I know it most likely means that he knows something that I don't want him to know, but it's weird.

Posted by: southernutah ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:30PM

just like the book or movie 1984

Posted by: rusty123 ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 09:35PM

I actually think my bishop is a closet doubter. When I first moved into the ward I thought he was a counselor because his testimony has a "gratefulmony" and he only used the "I know" on very general gospel principles. I set up a time and spoke to him about my doubts and he basically confirmed that they were all hard things to get over and that he too had struggled with them although be it in the past. I told him that the "spirit" had told me specific things that didn't end up happening, he also agreed the spirit had told him specific things that never happened, but then caught himself and said that I'm still waiting for to happen. We spoke about an hour before he "bore testimony" by saying "its not the specific details that are important you have to remember that its the principles that are true" referring to faith, repentance, etc. I tried to explain that this church claims to be the one and only true church and that its all package deal as far as I can see, if the BofA is a false translation then the BofM goes down with it, he did his best to downplay the importance of the BofA and other controversial things and again reiterate belief in God and prayer. Who truly knows what he believes, I doubt he posts on exmormon, but I have my suspicions that hes a closet doubter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 09:47PM by rusty123.

Date: March 18, 2013 12:18AM

One of my science teachers often forgets to ask someone to say the closing prayer (welcome to church schools!) and ends up saying it himself. Folded hands rather than arms, either in front of his face or with his forehead resting on his hands, and it's always just the "we thank thee" part of the prayer and no "we ask thee..." part. Makes me wonder.

Posted by: brothergalileo ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 10:09PM

I actually wonder this all the time. Even more intriguing I am curious if any exmos that go to church are also here, but am afraid to reveal my real identity. I also
wonder if anyone I know from my mission is here. If only we could have some psychic connection.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:10PM

I wonder this all the time just because I don't think any of my acquaintances would suspect me of being anything other than a TBM. Too bad there isn't some sort of secret rfm code so we could easily find eachother.

Posted by: DeludedAngel ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 11:43PM

Can we have a secret handshake too!

Date: March 18, 2013 12:10AM

Or alternating series of blinks or winks

Date: March 17, 2013 11:30PM

Sometimes I want to post anonymously (anon-anon instead of regular screen name anon, just in case, lol) "Are any of you Brother So-and-so that I know from XYZ place? If so, email me!"

Date: March 18, 2013 12:19AM

Also All those exmos/ possible exmos i met on my mission, i wonder who you are?

Sorry if i ever bothered you as a missionary. I was young and nieve. XD

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 01:00AM

Without the gigantic lie of eternal families the church would already be dead. I know a lot of people who just go because they are scared to be honest with themselves and with their families. And lets be honest, most people are followers.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 03:23AM

There is a person I respect but one that I have seriously wronged, I know he has had struggles with the church and everytime I see a story that could be his my stomach turns

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 12:43AM

The Sunday School teacher says some things that make me wonder. He talks about the Savior a lot even when the lessons aren't about Jesus at all. It's just little things he says that seem not the normal way that I'm used to. I think he has a little of his own flavor going on. I've also noticed plenty of people don't bother singing the hymns. They just don't seem to care.

He asks questions that require people to raise a hand in agreement. I wonder if he does that to identify who doesn't raise their hand.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 12:48AM by suckafoo.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 12:46AM

I wonder if some of my TBM family members are reading but overall I think that's just a fantasy I wish were true. I can see some of my extended family showing up here, but not really anyone else. You never know though!

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 01:04AM

I've had some people who let me know they're stalking me on RFM.

I changed my name. I haven't announced it here yet, because I don't want them to know. Maybe in a couple of weeks, when they think i've left and no longer post.

I chose the name Francine because of the new Pope. My weird sense of humor makes me think that's funny.

Ten points to anyone who knows who i was two weeks ago. Love you all, and sorry I can't be more up front at the moment.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 01:07AM

I may have to take you up on that challenge! I don't blame you though, I get paranoid too. I say too much most of the time but then sometimes I don't care.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 01:57AM

I wouldn't be surprised if you could name that apostate!

I'll give you a hint. I used to be missing in action.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.