Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 10:50AM

Because I had the worst nightmare last night that the new bishop assigned Bishop Jackwagon to be our home teacher. But DH said once you've been bishop, you don't have to home teach ever again. I thought you just got out of it while bishop. I'm just curious, not terribly worried. I irritated BJ into ignoring me once, I could get him to give up on me again, if necessary. :) lol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 11:00AM

Bishops typically are still home teachers while serving as a bishop. They will often ask to be assigned to "less active" or other special case families. Additionally, they may have their wife as companion.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 11:05AM

Not sure about bishops.

But our SP's first counsellor and his wife were our home teachers for about a year.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 11:07AM

I'd always heard that bishops didn't have to home teach because they were so busy being bishop. Maybe it was just a policy in my stake growing up and isn't church-wide. Or maybe it depends on how many other priesthood holders are in a given area.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 11:22AM

Generally Bishops do not have home teacher assignments whilst in office. They allow themselves to be led by the spirit as to whom they visit.

Once out of office they then are back eligible for home teaching assignments.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 11:37AM

Every time I was in the EQP, the Bishop was not assigned any HT families.

I've never seen the Bishop be a home teacher in any of the many wards I've been in (about 25 wards [granted, several of those were on the mission, or at singles wards, which aren't the most representative samples])

Posted by: altava ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 11:40AM

Um, in my Singles Ward, the Bishop was my HT for over a year. It sucked when I started to leave the church.

Posted by: skeptic ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 11:46AM

I was a ward clerk 4 times, and stake clerk once.

In every ward that I saw, the bishop assigned himself "special families", those close to disfellowshipment or excommunication that he felt that he could "save". One bishop assigned himself to me after one of my divorces.

After being released from being bishop, the ex-bishop just became a normal high priest, and was assigned to whatever families the current bishop and/or high priest group leader wanted him to handle.

On the other hand, I rarely have seen a SP being assigned to anyone unless it is his next door neighbor or very good friend. Your original statement may be more applicable to the SP than to the bishop.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 01:30PM

Our bishop assigned himself to be our home teacher for probably a couple of years after we left the church. He didn't even bring a companion. He probably didn't want to take a chance on us saying something that would create cognitive dissonance for anyone else.

Yeah, yeah, it was annoying and I don't know why we let him come for as long as he did. Maybe we needed to really come to understand how freakish the boundary crossing is, and how a HT isn't just a nice man who takes a special interest in your family.

He was actually an arrogant guy with an agenda who had no business in our home.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 03:16PM

I was a bishop. I was a home teacher.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 03:18PM

There used to be a policy where Bishops were excepted from home teaching because of the work load their calling carried with it already. However, it was buried in the manual, and most Bishops home taught anyways.

My father was a bishop for most of the 80s, and was very happy about that particular gem.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 05:25PM

My step-father home taught a handful of families while he was bishop, and took my mother along with him as his companion. He was not your traditional bishop though, and often ignored policy in his decision making, so not sure where this practice falls across the organization.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 05:52PM

My husband continued to HT while he was bishop, it depends on the what the bishop wants to do.

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 11:29PM

In all my wards the Bishop was assigned to home teach maybe 1 family. Never saw any progress in those families!

This is one of my pet gripes that home teachers kept assignments forever(10-15 years) in some wards. I was clearly a corporate man as I would have reassigned hts every year unless some obvious progress was made by them with their families. However, I was told sometimes it takes years to see any progress. With this mindset reactivation does not seem like a concern to us exmos!

Hopefully, if they do assign hts to me I will demand equal time to discuss problems with the church if they are going to teach me false profits messages and convert some of them or at least weaken their weak testimonies!

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 11:32PM

It varies from ward to ward. Some Bishops want to be HT and others decide to make their own visits and appointments, independent from HT assignments.

Bishops always are HT after being released.

Posted by: AltaRica ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 12:01AM

My mom's bishop became her home teacher when he learned she was a "special case."

Posted by: notanymore ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 12:13AM

When I was in high school our bishop was also my families home teacher. He would always bring his oldest son with him. We were probably considered a "special case". We were new to the area, my dad was active/my mom was in-active, my parents were converts & 3 of 4 of their children were not very active or interested in church. So, we were probably a project/assignment to be worked on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 12:14AM by notanymore.

Posted by: rocketguy ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 02:50AM

When I was a bishop, I home taught, but I told the high priests group leader who I was going to visit. After my release, I was back into the regular home teaching rotation.

That lasted until I quit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.