Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catacomb1984 ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 03:24PM

I intend on resigning once I've found a new job outside of TSCC, but I wanted to know if this is a long process or not?, I became aware that there are template letters on the internet. I'd like to remove the "effects" of baptism lol.

I'm just ashamed of having my name associated with such an organisation that has a blatant disregard towards any individual thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 03:32PM

We resigned via email on February 16th. My 12 yo son and I received our letters from church headquarters on February 28th, dated February 25th. I've heard that is lightning speed. My husband is still waiting for his letter, but I did call member services last week and they confirmed that his name has been removed. If you request no contact, they are not even supposed to call you.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 08:06PM

You have the right to resign.

They have the right to contact you to verify the resignation.

You demanding no contact does not suspend their right.

Pretty much every business you conduct a transaction with via letter/email involves a follow-up contact of some sort to confirm the transaction.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 03:34PM

Time line for my resignation:

Aug 2012 - Mailed my resignation letter
3 weeks later - Received "Invitation" pamphlet, and a letter stating the resignation would be processed by local authorities
Oct 2012 - Received letter from church HQ stating that they had fulfilled my request and my name was removed

With the exception of a back and forth e-mail with my bishop counselling me to not give up faith in the savior, it was quick and painless. And when I say quick and painless, I'm speaking relative to the experience of many others here that have not had quite the same smooth transition as I did.

An e-mail will virtually guarantee that some contact will be necessary, so the bishop knows you sent the e-mail. I didn't want that, so I did up a letter and notarized it. This is not necessary however.

Just make sure you send the resignation to church HQ so that if your local leadership drag their butts, the church HQ will automatically process it for you after 60 days if they don't hear back from your bishop or stake.

Posted by: catacomb1984 ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 03:59PM

It is quite funny in and of itself when a 'religion' is so much like a business isn't it? Like you mentioned with the member services. Thanks for that advice guys, I appreciate it. It is quite funny when a person needs to go through this kind of rigmarole just in order to not be harassed. I wonder how many members are actually left in morgie now?I said to myself when no way are there 14 million members, that must be grossly exaggerated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 04:03PM by catacomb1984.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 05:07PM

I guess in my case the extreme quickness indicated that TSCC was happy to have me leave! Maybe it was because my last words to the SP were "to hell with the church of Satan" (or close to it).

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 10:23PM

Yes well there are some effects of baptism into Mormonism that take awhile to remove. Others never go away.

Still, resignation was a good experience for me. I have a testimony of it.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 02:19AM

I have no way of knowing for sure but I suspect my resignation letter was processed very quickly because I copied my lawyer at the end. All you need to say in your letter is your name, birth date and it also speeds things along if you give your church record number and notarize the letter. You just say you are resigning as of their receipt of your letter and use delivery confirmation so they have no other choice but to mark your records as having resigned. I had no contact with anyone but SLC Member Records although COB and some unknown bishop also sent me letter saying I was out. They do have their hoops to jump through so I let them jump. The term Name Removal is a joke. Nothing gets removed. Your record may get shifted to a different database but your name will be in their records for "eternity". lol The term "name removal" is just their way of sounding dramatic as if they were wiping you out of gods memory bank. They usually mention that all your nonexistent blessings are being revoked since god doesn't approve of you being so naughty. That should scare you real good. NOT. Their letters are almost laughable as each bishop has his right to chastise you in his own words. Some try guilt. Some try shame. Some plead and some just say you are out but you can come back if you want to.

Best wishes friend.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 02:20AM

I resigned via email and it took me about 6 weeks to be done.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.