Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bbgoldy ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 05:24PM

Backstory: After many years of questioning and cognitive dissonance, in 2010, I divorced my extremely manipulative and co-dependent ex, stopped pretending to attend church and have shared with my family that I no longer attend church and am considering having my name removed from the records as soon as my son graduates (next year~!).

I find myself recoiling at any attempts by non-religious groups that I'm a member of who ask me to do things like: be in charge of a committee, run registration, etc. I believe that a member of a group should participate and not be a taker, but I can't seem to make myself help out these days.

Does anyone else struggle with this? Is it just PTSD?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 05:57PM

bbgoldy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone else struggle with this?

Once bitten, twice shy.

I struggle with it. I've quit a few organizations because my dues and participation weren't enough. They wanted more and more of my time.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 07:05PM

Yes, not exact same way, but it is a challenge to invest emotionally in institutions that are top-down in their management.

I dislike being a parrot, I trusted what should have been the most trustworthy people in my life, I ended up being an effective tool for a freak cult that purposefully was withholding information from me even though I was at a university level of their studies, a religious leader, and missionary actively soliciting converts that were happy in other faiths.

Never again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 08:29PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 09:28PM

Definitely. I am soooo enjoying not committing to much of anything. I go to a different church now WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT, and the only thing to which I commit is playing music for some of their services. But I absolutely don't want my life and my Sundays sucked up like they used to be!!

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 10:11PM

I have an absolute phobia about joining any organization after the struggle to get away from TSCC. The thought of joining any organization makes me think of walking on a giant sheet of flypaper. No doubt an overreaction but that's the way it is.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 12:32AM

Word. +100

Posted by: ava ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 08:16AM

I think this is an important step. Start with an organization that isn't a high emotional impact for you. Maybe you don't have a lot of friends there, there is no real downside if you leave. For example, the PTO.

If you feel up for volunteering, volunteer. Set your limits. If you are specifically asked to do something you don't feel comfortable with, say no. If it's too much for your physical, mental health, leave. It's like learning to flex muscles. As you are able to set boundaries with the organization, it will be easier next time.

Don't fall for the guilt trip. I got one last year. Another mom on the PTO said to me "If you really cared about this school, you would do (whatever it was)". I found myself so thankful that I could see this tactic for the guilt trip it was. There was a time I would have said "How high?". Now I'm able to put myself and my needs first.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.