Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 08:43AM

There's an item going around on the interwebs that goes something like:

"I never said most of the things attributed to me on the Internet." — Albert Einstein

I was reminded of it when a niece posted a lovely photo with this quote written on it:

"We can't direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails." — President Thomas S. Monson

The quote seemed somewhat familiar, so I googled it. There were several attributions, including Jimmie Dean and Dolly Parton, but mostly it's and old sailing truism.

But, of course, it only matters to my niece that her most venerated person said it. Or might have said it. Or that someone only said he said it. A song lyric suddenly becomes deep wisdom when uttered by the Prophet, Seer and Quote Borrower.

The funny thing, too, is that the photo showed a boat with its sail down in almost still water. No wind, no sail. That pretty much summarizes TSM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 08:44AM by Stray Mutt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dupemor ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 09:10AM

Yeah, that makes one wonder why Elohim is incapable of inspiring his chosen ones to come up with quotes instead they keep plagiarizing from the heathens(sigh).

Posted by: thereflectinggod ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 09:15AM

I saw that picture, too..

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 10:10AM

Of all my FB friends, only TBM's post quotes by Monson, Eyring, et al, and NEVER post quotes or truisms by anyone else.

And they're usually just plain, white bread common sense quotes that any 3rd grade teacher would post above the chalk board....

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 10:15AM

"I don't know that we teach that"

-- Gordon B. Hinkley

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.