Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 11:54AM

How did you overcome the stunted sexual development and interminable repression of your Mormon youth and young adulthood?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 12:22PM

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 12:37PM

Therapy therapy therapy.

Edited to add: Marving Gaye wouldn't hurt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 12:37PM by dogzilla.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 01:03PM

To simplify a little too much, maybe, I think we get over anxieties, repression and ineptitude through experience. Scary things become less scary as we do them. We gain knowledge, skill and wisdom.

Therapy is good, but theory needs to be put into practice. Too bad sexual surrogates are illegal in most places. They can be a fine combination of shrink and practice partner.

Posted by: davidlkent ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 01:14PM

Thank my stars Hugh Hefner came along at just the right time.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 01:39PM

I went into therapy basically to help myself with this very thing and it has really helped me become open to experiences that seemed frightening to me and more compassionate with myself as I work through my adolescence as a man in my late 40s.

I will say that I did get to a moment in therapy where my counselor told me that we'd pretty much talked everything to death and that I was at a decision point--I could choose the safe-feeling celibacy I'd grown used to or I could chose to be a sexually active adult and embrace the challenges that it would represent for me. I didn't have a surrogate handy to get me past that choice but that would have been a good alternative to what I ended up doing in order to kickstart my new life. Still, no regrets. It's an ongoing process but I know I'm on the right path.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 01:42PM by Inverso.

Posted by: exmo-lesbo ( )
Date: March 19, 2013 02:51PM

Oh boy!!!! I grew up in a repressed predominately Morgbot area (southeast Idaho), spending most of my youth and young adulthood wanting to be strait but still questioning my sexuality, in a morgbot household with a pedophile father who, after being outed as such by yours truly, was offered words of kindness and support from such repressed Mormon community and given a slap on the wrist by the judge with 1 week of jail time, a suspended sentence and restitution. (morgbot judge too)

Sooooooooooo, therapy therapy therapy!!!! Soul searching, had to develop a process of how to think for myself with the help of a close nit support network that is either non-mo or never-mo. Obviously out of the closet now at work and in life. No longer live in that area and quite honestly would never go back were it not for the fact that my mom and sister still live there. (by the way, my parents are still married)

This is so much less than the nutshell version, but yes, definitely a lot of difficult healing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.