Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 10:31PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqf8_HXRAsE
Anyone else feel sad and angered by this couple?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 10:42PM

If there was ever a case for drinking Jolt Cola, this is it.

They are so coma-like I can't listen.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 10:57PM

Yeah, they sound like a bad sacrament meeting talk.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 10:44PM

It is the little things...

When they talk about their kids, it is about them being married. They may all be in jail for all we know, but they are married so everything is AOK.

Then do they share who they are or what the church says they should be?

The most articulate way I could say what bothers me is to say "They are Mormons, not individuals. Any individuality was been programmed out of them."

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 02, 2013 10:21AM

MJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> When they talk about their kids, it is about them
> being married. They may all be in jail for all we
> know, but they are married so everything is AOK.
>

LMFAO....

Date: April 02, 2013 10:57AM

MJ Wrote:
> When they talk about their kids, it is about them
> being married. They may all be in jail for all we
> know, but they are married so everything is AOK.

My parents want to know if I am alive and employed. It doesn't matter now that I'm mission served, married in temple and college educated - check! They got me to get the big three done. Now that I'm an inactive disbeliever (which they doubt) the only thing that matters is if I'm alive and employed.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 09:40PM

You left off number four: reproducing!

For some reason TBMs also leave off the point of being happy, of loving their spouses and of being true and honest and of worshipping as they believe is right rather than being in a cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2013 09:42PM by rhgc.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 10:47PM

Just typical morridor old TBM's. Not too bright. I don't mean they possess low intelligence, I mean they stopped THINKING or never learned to in the first place. Swallowing the LDS cool-aid by the buckets for years and years. I know dozens of them.

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 11:04PM

Had to stop watching. Those two party animals were wearing me out!
Question: As you watch them, do you think
a) They can dance
b) They cannot dance

Choose one

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: April 02, 2013 12:05AM

+1

Thanks for the laugh, because I certainly wasn't going to get one from the video!

Date: April 02, 2013 10:58AM

Dance puppets! Dance!

Posted by: freonsniffer ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 09:37PM

thats what the church youtube videos are like with out the emotional roller coaster of music playing in the background to make you feel the holy ghost!!!!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 11:07PM

I think they're both on psychotropic drugs.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 11:11PM

Mormon kool-aid. Same thing!

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 11:09PM

They don't serve God, They don't serve Christ, They don't serve their family or themselves. They serve "the church". That little two word comment really pushed my buttons.

They seems so void of personality or their own thoughts. They're dead in that respect. I would hate to spend an evening with these people. They're a huge, big yawn.

There are people like this in my family. Complete with the mormon family pictures.

I couldn't finish watching this video. It was so predictable, so boring, and very sad in so many ways. Seeing all of the people in the family pic that have had their lives screwed up by a religion that's nothing more than a pack of lies, is very sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2013 11:14PM by mia.

Date: April 01, 2013 11:14PM

They aspire to be a huge yawn.

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 11:21PM

It is sad.

The woman's half smile is frozen onto her face and you can tell it's been that way for a long time. Her eyes do not smile.

Their kids are married. That's it? That's all you can comment on your kids??

They seem like they're on drugs. Maybe sedatives or anti depressants? They have those too-long pauses in their speech... They really seem like they're on drugs.

I imagine they must go through their days this way, slowly, nearly thoughtlessly following a rote pattern that someone else has set out for them... At the end of the day they just crawl into bed, their brains have already been turned off for years. Gotta be on drugs.

Date: April 01, 2013 11:39PM

It's also from decades of every kind of repression. Emotional, logical, sexual, etc.
All church and no play makes Jack a dull boy
All church and no play makes Jill a dull girl

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 11:41PM

I could not listen to it, just too boring. The l o n g pauses between ideas. THe total lack of life in their voices. What a great selling tool for the morg. Join us and act like you are dead before your time. Hi, I'm Fred and I'm a Mormon living corpse.

Posted by: Library 1 ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 11:44PM

I watched all 3 episodes of there videos. I grew up in Rexburg so I thought I would see what it is about. They are so sad because their son died of cancer.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 11:47PM

I think what bothers me the most is that "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy." Years of service to the cult have rendered them a shell of a person and I pity them.

Posted by: snowednomore ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 11:48PM

If you get to the middle of episode 3 you will find out what is really the motivator behind all this.

Sad to lose a child, especially if you are a TBM and the child is not. What do you do to save this child? These people are victims of the cult, good people who are afraid they have lost a child because of the teachings they have heard all their lives. Now they will do whatever is necessary to save this child and themselves. Including making a plug for a book written by Bednar and sold by Deseret Book.

Posted by: fubecona ( )
Date: April 02, 2013 10:28AM

It also seems they were especially sad that their son was not active in the church when he died.

They seem very numb and obviously are still suffering greatly from the loss of their son--maybe haven't even fully processed what happened. The dad says "one thing that has buoyed us up during this difficult time is the gospel" but it wasn't convincing at all. Neither of them seem like they have properly grieved yet. Very sad indeed.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: April 02, 2013 12:55AM

In listening to her speak, I hear the phrases "one thing I noticed was... and I hadn't really thought of that before," which seems very very common to hear women say when talking about gospel topics. It's like they have to pretend like they'd never had an original thought concerning the gospel.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 02, 2013 10:26AM

rainwriter Wrote:
> It's like they have to pretend like they'd never
> had an original thought concerning the gospel.

Most of the TBM women I know don't have to pretend because they really haven't had any original thoughts about the Mormon gospel.

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: April 02, 2013 10:29AM

Couldn't finish watching it, but it bothered me that the man did the intro and the woman just sat there. Im assuming the woman gets more involved as the video plays, but why does she sit there silent while her husband does the intro? Where is the back and forth? She looks like she wants to say something but she doesn't.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 02, 2013 10:41AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtQK-rESklI

At this point, episode 3, a young women is talking. Let us compare her lively bright affect with the sad version of herself fastforwarded forty years - the older zombie couple.

This is the damage the cult does. She speaks enthusiastically a book which tells her that she needs the atonement in her life on a daily basis, that it's not just for forgiving sins, but also to provide grace to help overcome her weaknesses. Because she is a piece of shit, after all she can do.

She talks about how excited she is that there is help available from the Lord for changing herself--that she's been trying to do it on her own and it's just impossible to do it herself- she is just too flawed. She needs supernatural help to become the person she thinks she has to be to be loved, to be acceptable.

If you are a TBM lurking here, this is a great thread. Check out the first link - this is your mind on Mormonism after 50 years. Check out my link above and see how you got that way.

It is never too late to allow a crack of light to enter a bound and crimped mind. Roll these thoughts around:

I was made perfect and never had anybody else's sins on me. I am doing just fine, the best I can and I've learned from my mistakes. I like myself the way I am and God does too.

Anagrammy

Date: April 02, 2013 11:00AM

I watched that video. Then I thought, woah! The only thing moving these people is their church. Their cult told them to get converted. They. Are. Trying. to....

Robots! Send in the clowns! Sad clowns.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: April 02, 2013 11:15AM

I almost went into a COMA watching that.

Posted by: snowednomore ( )
Date: April 02, 2013 12:12PM

The really rotten thing about the whole video is how their life in mormonism is compressed into the thought that they still are not "truly converted". But now, if they can only follow Elder Bednar's advice, they can be truly converted and save their son in the afterlife.

It is not enough to be faithful, serve, pay tithing, and be a good person. Somehow, somewhere there is this mystical "conversion" that takes place and until you have received this conversion, you are a worthless piece of crap in the sight of the Lord. You can never be good enough in the church.

Thanks David for writing something that really builds people up and helps them through life, not! What kind of disciple are you David? You are an arrogant bully.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: April 02, 2013 12:46PM

Holy freakin' shit.

could they drag out saying absolutely nothing any longer???

Maybe they just smoked a joint before they got on there because stringing words together to form sentences seems to be a real challenge.

Of course there'd be more giggling if they had and it actually might be more entertaining.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: April 02, 2013 12:59PM

Wait! Wait! There's a "Real Acts in Doctrine: Dale and Jan: Episode 2."

Did any of you cynics bother to watch part 2? /sarcasm

Are any of you who bothered to watch all of part 1 still alive enough to enjoy episode 2?

Give it Dale and Jan a chance. They believe it's just going to get better and so should you.
Episode 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U52ma_3IlGs

In Episode 2, Jan becomes "proactive.

Dale learns that "oil is acquired one drop at a time."

Date: April 02, 2013 04:34PM

What Dale is trying to say is without...

conversion
testimony
reading scriptures
prayer
and the trial(test) of their faith

...they risk not passing the test.

They sound like a couple of school kids worried about a school test not two grown people showing how to get themselves converted.

I feel sorry for these poor deluded people giving their money, time and souls to LDS Inc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.