Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 08:52AM

Me?

Diet Coke.

Srsly.
;o)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 09:06AM

Everyone knows why I left. They simply can't handle the truth so they propose "possibilities" to ease their troubled minds.

"Human beings never welcome the news that something they have long cherished is untrue. They almost always reply to that news by reviling its promulgator." -- H. L. Mencken

Timothy

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 09:26AM

Huh. Well they are kinda right.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 09:33AM

I "WANTED to be lazy and WANTED to sin and rub it in [their] noses!"

Oh, OK.

Posted by: Washed and Disappointed ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 09:37AM

Mom thinks I left because I sinned, feel overwhelming guilt, and think I am too far gone to be able to repent.....seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 09:37AM by Washed and Dissapointed.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 09:48AM

about 2 years after I left, I met the bishop's wife, when I was with another woman (after breaking up with my wife) - we exchanged a brief 'hello'. No doubt, I am marked down, somewhere, as some sort of debauched sex maniac.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:07AM

They think I left to drink beer, and chase skirts,...They were correct(this was back in 1986, when I was 18)! They still think that is the only reason,...they are WRONG!

Posted by: thedrive ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:07AM

My family *knows* that it is my wife who led me out. She is the one who wanted to drink alcohol, she's the one with parents who never went on missions, she's the one who wanted to be liberated and work outside the home, she's the one who placed an emphasis on education instead of motherly duties, she's the one who watches "The Bachelor", she's the one who thinks BYU graduates are stuck up losers, etc. It's my wife's fault.

It is I who discovered church history. It is I who questioned. It is I who put his marriage on the line and told my wife what I found. It is I who helped educate my wife and children. It is my fault.

But my PB says that I will be a leader in the church someday so it must be my wife's fault.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 03:28PM

thedrive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My family *knows* that it is my wife who led me
> out. She is the one who wanted to drink alcohol,
> she's the one with parents who never went on
> missions, she's the one who wanted to be liberated
> and work outside the home, she's the one who
> placed an emphasis on education instead of
> motherly duties, she's the one who watches "The
> Bachelor", she's the one who thinks BYU graduates
> are stuck up losers, etc. It's my wife's fault.

Your wife is a genius, you better hold on to her!

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:11AM

STUMBLING BLOCKS

To the Church these are things that are difficult for people to accept/understand but which aren't important so people should just get over them as they aren't essential for our Eternal Salvation.

To the Member these are significant discrepancies between what you are told to believe as a member and reality, that dispel the testimonies of rational people.

I guess it's just a matter of perspective...

Posted by: mateo ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:31AM

Also I am too arrogant to humble myself before God.

Or, at least, I'm too arrogant to humble myself before what some old man says about God. Either way.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:34AM

I don't think they really have an opinion. Laziness probably. Now they think it is a "habit." My daughter thinks I stay out so I can have my relationship--if it just weren't for HIM, I'd go back.

My parents and aunt--those who counted--knew why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 10:34AM by cl2.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:47AM

The rumour last year was that we got offended and were taking a break.

Those who we've talked to about our reasons know very well why we don't go to their church anymore, but what they tell other people is anybody's guess.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:47AM

That I wanted to sin and I have too much self-worth to be a doormat.

I just wanted to make my own decisions and mistakes with out some jackass "disciplining" me.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:52AM

Although, I gotta admit, the diet coke thing is real head scratcher, especially considering how many Mormons down Diet Coke by the keg.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 10:58AM

I have been told that I probably was ex'd,,and won't admit it. I have been told several reasons ,,all by people that don't know me or anything about me. Funny they never ask me,,they just tell me.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 11:07AM

They think I wanted to chase wild women and smoke dope. While that may have been true when I was 19 I'm 55 now and that has nothing to do with why I don't want to return to "the church."

I guess they don't realize that even unrepentant sinners like myself eventually grow up.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 11:35AM

Nobody has said anything to me. I can guess though! :-) It might be fun to be a fly on the wall.

But, I have no control over other people's thinking. Even if someone told me why they thought I left the LDS Church and it was not correct, and I corrected them, it most likely wouldn't change their mind.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 12:42PM

Ditto SusieQ#1. With dh still tbm and going to church every week,I tend to believe they think I am a nasty woman having an affair. It really bothers me that no one has ever asked,but I'm getting over that.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 09:27PM

Posted by: Flying Under the Radar ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 11:53AM

Here are the accusations in no particular order:

1. Read anti mormon stuff

2. I'm gay

3. I must be smoking, cheating or drinking on the sly

None of those are the reason I left the church. I was in grade school when I realized I didn't like being mormon. They reason I left was because of the church teachings, unispired bishops, and bullying tactics. My only regret is that I didn't leave earlier.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 12:05PM

1. Too Proud

2. Too Weak

3. And too trusting of "the arm of flesh," otherwise known as reading books.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 12:15PM

And that makes me very happy.

I know one of my sisters thinks I was mad at God. . . . even though I had already told her I don't believe in him.

Yeah, I'm mad at the Easter Bunny, too, because he didn't bring me a treat last year.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 12:17PM

I don't know for sure what they say about me in Ward Gossip Leadership meetings, but the Bishop at one point mentioned to me that he felt that my wife quit going to church because she didn't have any friends in the ward.

That is partly true, she doesn't have very many friends in the ward (maybe 2-3 real friends) but that is not why she quit going.
She quit going because she hated it. It didn't work for her. It made her feel like crap. She didn't believe in the modern church at all.

At first they thought I left because I was offended. I told one of my friends that was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. It is almost impossible to offend me. And I asked: "Who offended me?" No answer.

The bishop asked me once why I quit going to PH and I told him that I couldn't sit through lessons that I knew were built on lies. I gave him the example of the Kirtland bank fraud lesson/Thomas Marsh milk strippings baloney, etc. He had no response. I just told him that I had sat through so many lessons over the years that I knew were false that I kind of hit a saturation point and I couldn't force myself to listen to such nonsense anymore.

I doubt if they are aware that I left because it is a fraud. I studied myself out.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 12:30PM

1) Too intellekchul

2) Too gay

(Nothing torments me more than how UNtrue number 2 is... my lifetime of repression at their hands has made it next to impossible to establish the kind of relationship I want with a guy.)

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 12:39PM

Because my tbm ex ruined the church for me by being so tbm.

There's some truth behind that, but it is secondary.

Only a couple of family members were able to stand talking to me about it enough to even hear my real reasons. Whether they believe it or not is another thing. One told me that they figure I want to rebel and sin (using a different term).

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 01:25PM

shannon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Me?
>
> Diet Coke.
>
> Srsly.
> ;o)

Ok, this one gave me a good chuckle. :-)That's just too weird. I know plenty of LDS folks who drink diet coke or other colas, etc.
Some people are just very, very "orthodox" in how they live certain teachings -- most of which are a pick and choose variety.
Don't drink coke, but are dirty mouths-- swear and cuss, abd drink Near Beer, for instance.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 02:12PM

They think that I am a sinner.

Yeah, I am. I'll give them that. However, that doesn't make their religion not a hoax.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 02:13PM

I don't know what they say about why I left - none of them will talk to me any more except to say hi as they try to find a way to run away from me.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 03:02PM

They for sure know it was about Prop H8, but they probably don't know I figured out that the emperor has no clothes and that there's a man behind the screen. And I'm not discussing it with them either, as their few failed attempts to engage me and 'bring me back' have proven.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 03:10PM

They think I left to join the circus and have an affair with the bearded lady.

Well, not really. I have no clue why they think I left regardless of the fact that I told them why. I assume I was:

1. An adulterer.
2. Was offended.
3. Was financially distressed.
4. Wanted to go to tittie bars. (that's true)
5. Joined a nudist colony.

At this juncture, I really don't care.

Ron

Posted by: kmackie ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 03:49PM

I was supposed to be sooo offended by a decision by the bishop to allow a peadophile to run free in the church,even after many warnings from folk who knew this guy was up to no good,never mind follow the profit,it was follow the bishop,then someone said it was because my family were given a small financial assistance from the ward and were told to spend it correctly,this was me offended again,I was treated like a second class member as none of my family were in church,had 4 callings + VT,Well I was sooooo offended that I decided to find out if it was all true this TSCC,so glad I was offended,it brought me to the truth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.