Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 04:14PM

It's just a matter of time before the church caves to the ever pressing demands of modernizing themselves so they don't lose members and money. Just as they did with blacks and the priesthood and are now trying to be more open minded to "same gender attraction" I believe they will eventually allow for these things. I'm guessing in the next 20 years women will be allowed to hold the priesthood. The gay temple marriage issue will be quite a ways off though. Maybe in the next 50 yrs? I've noticed the Mormon feminists on Facebook are angrier than ever and are causing quite the stir. Not to mention all of those brave kids at BYU coming out of the closet on YouTube. The next several decades will be interesting for sure!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 04:18PM

Before women aare actually given "the priesthood" they will be given something else with a different name that has the same rights, blessings, etc.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 04:21PM

Women holding the priesthood will be the first thing to happen. All it will take is another "revelation" while sitting around on plush furniture in the Salt Lake temple. They can easily argue their way out of that one: "It is time now for women to hold the priesthood. It wasn't before. There was that lady prophet in The Bible, after all."

It will be a lot longer before they are even comfortable with allowing gays any more space than they've already given them, because the practice itself is an excommunicable offense. Being a woman just means having different and lesser assignments, but full participation in the church otherwise. God can always change his mind, like he just did with mission ages for both men and women.

Being gay is SINFUL, not to mention still, to this day, disgusting to a great many ignorant people. How the church is ever going to talk its way out of gay being an abomination and now fully acceptable is beyond me.

Posted by: wolfsbane ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 04:45PM

I guess 50 years for women and likely never for gays. There just are not enough gays in tscc for them to worry about. There are, however, many women. Also it will take great political pressure to get them to even think about it.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 04:50PM

don't know why any self respecting woman or gay person would want either...

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 10:30PM

+1

The Mormon fraud cult is not almost perfect, just need to give the priesthood to women and homosexuals. It's a fraud cult.

Hopefully for them there won't be any women or homosexuals that want to have anything to do with the fraud cult. Those that do will become more complicit in the fraud that is Mormnism. Just as people of African ancestry that are members are today.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 05:59PM

Their press release stated:

“The practice of ordaining men to the priesthood was established by Jesus Christ himself, and is not a decision to be made by those on Earth.”

That means that the decision can only be made by "Jesus Christ himself." Unless JC himself appears in General Conference and gives it to women, then the Cult would have to say that Jesus himself told the Profit and/or the whole Qo12 that it was time to change. When was the last time the Cult said ANYTHING came directly from Jesus? Sometime in the 1800s??

They never said or claimed that giving blacks the priesthood came from Jesus or God. If you read all their official statements it was all [paraphrasing] that they thought it was time to give it to blacks, so they did. They prayed about it and said "God/Jesus, if you don't want blacks to have the priesthooed then tell us not to do it." SILENCE. So....God must have been OK with this DECISION MADE BY MEN.

With this release, they can't do it that way for women, in allowing "THOSE ON EARTH" to make the decision, and then ask Jesus if it is OK. It would take an addition to the Doctrine and Covenants that the command came directly from Jesus. Last addition to the DOC? 1800s?? It won't happen.

Of course, knowing the way the Cult throws things down the memory hole, they could just conveniently forget they ever made the above statement that "THOSE ON EARTH" cannot make the decision. Copy the references now, because someday if women do get the priesthood, the Cult will have conveniently forgotten thier statement that the decision can only be made by Jesus.

Posted by: slcbunk ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 07:00PM

This is an interesting question. When I think about this, I wonder at what point TSCC would lose more members than they would gain/retain. Many members would leave if women were given the priesthood or gays allowed to marry in the temple. Doesn't this happen anytime TSCC makes a significant change (blacks granted the priesthood)? They'll act so as to keep the numbers in their favor.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 11:18PM

uh, never and never....not my view...just the truth as I see it as long as the cult is ruled by a bunch of misogynistic old bed$hitters....

Ron Burr

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 11:24PM

I think the church would rather fold and go out of existence.

Posted by: Barry ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 12:06AM

Gays can marry in the temple now, just not to each other.

Women having the priesthood, maybe in our lifetime (at least for you 20 somethings.)

Posted by: Tonto Schwartz ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 10:27PM

After gay marriage is legal in all 50 states and main stream christianity is more accepting of gays, public pressure and protests will force the Church to allow gays to marry each other in the Temple in 5-10 years. The Church will once again revise history by claiming its only objection to gay sex was that gays were not married and thus it was a sin to have sex.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 05, 2013 10:40PM

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 02:20AM

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 01:26AM

They would have to change the plan of salvation before they could accomodate gay temple marriages. Instead of saying that after exhaltation that you are a heavenly father or mother of other worlds, there would have to be a place in the plan for exhalted heavenly partners, and some supernatural explanation about how they can populate worlds without end, perhaps with the help of heavenly surrogate mothers or heavenly sperm doners (pretty messed up huh?). The funny thing is, people would probably buy it if the prophet said it. I think I left just in time.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 01:41AM

Not convinced the Plan of Salvation will ever change. It's paramount to the beliefs.
So, no gay marriage in the LDS Church.

Women - if you've been to the temple you've been given the holy garment of the Melchizedek Priesthood - which is the same garment the men wear. They have the priesthood if they remember what the women said in that temple ordinance.

The only difference is that women are not ordained to officiate in ordinances and most leadership positions. They serve under male priesthood but they do hold many leadership positions in the wards, stakes and in the General church leadership.

I don't have a clue why LDS women who have been to the temple are asking to be ordained. Boggles the mind.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.