Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 01:28AM

A court ruling is supposed to make the Morning After Bill available over the counter, I believe starting today. What are the general thoughts about this development.

For me, the pill doesn't seem like it would do any good if you have to wait a few days to see a doctor, then get a prescription, if you are worried about what happened the night before, so it makes sense.

I understand there may be some medical concerns, but somehow I don't think that is where the controversy comes from.

To me, the Morning After Pill is a good thing, because while I view abortion as a sometimes ugly necessity in certain situations, but handling the problem before we get further into the gray area of when life begins, sounds ideal. Sorry if that offends anyone, but you are welcome to tell me why I am wrong. In fact, I want to hear why you think I am wrong, so I can have an educated opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 01:33AM

I think the MAP is a good thing, I just don't like the courts making the decisions as to where it is appropriate and safe to sell.

I don't know how we could achieve it, but I think it is a decision that should be made by the medical community without political or economic pressure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2013 01:35AM by MJ.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 01:43AM

You're right that the courts aren't the right place for this type of decision to be made. MAP was already an OTC unless you were 17 and under because of an FDA rule. The FDA was asked in a suit to explain why the age limit and they couldn't. The court was merely acting as arbiter and in this case I think it was appropriate.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 11:57AM

jacob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> MAP
> was already an OTC unless you were 17 and under
> because of an FDA rule.

This is what I thought, too. Also, it was a required that the customer have to ask for it -- it couldn't be stocked out on the floor. And another problem was that it was prohibitively expensive for many who need them.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 01:37AM

My only concern is whether or not it is safe to use as an OTC medication. Other than that, I think that the easy availability for those in need is a good thing.

Posted by: Raisingspecialneeds ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 08:49AM

I've used it once, bought it OTC. Needing a script makes it useless.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 09:22AM

There is a HUGE distinction between the Morning after pill and the abortion pill.

The morning after pill does not cause and abortion, in fact if you are already pregnant it will NOT terminate the pregnancy. It prevents a fertilized egg from implanting.

An abortion via medication can be taken once the egg has implanted and WILL cause the pregnancy to terminate.

For people who believe that life begins at fertilization there is no distinction. If that's the case then they shouldn't use and IUD for birth control either because it basically does the same thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2013 09:22AM by minnie.

Posted by: GetTheLedZepOut ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 11:42AM

I really do have a hard time with the view that it's better to have an unwanted baby come into the world vs. stopping the pregnancy immediately.

YOu are right, Minnie....and maybe a condom is bad because we are killing the little critters before they have a chance to fertilize?

Pretty hard to draw the line.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 12:09PM

I think it's a good idea, as long as it's not used as a primary form of birth control. One thing about it is that if a woman is already pregnant and doesn't know it, the morning after pill is NOT going to end that pregnancy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.