Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 12:07PM

It's been a crazy year and you guys have been my go to people for all the depressive spins. So I wanted to share some of the happy things that are happening for me.

I was able to get approval to be paid for medical leave for the whole week that I had to take off because of the shingles.

Since being diagnosed with CEBV disease I have done a few things to try and help myself since nothing else can be done.

First, thanks to some awesome advice from you folks with chronic illness, I am being easier on myself mentally. If I'm having a sick day, then I'm having a sick day and no beating myself up or making myself do things is going to make it better.

I have also made some major diet changes. It has helped a lot of my symptoms and given me a bit more energy. I haven't felt this well for a long time.

The only thing I haven't been able to fix is my lack of sleep issue. I'll go for a week or longer without sleeping. I've been playing with melatonin, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Since I feel like I have my illness under a bit more control, I've decided to run the STG marathon again. I'm determined to do better than I did last time. I started my training again today And I'm kind of surprised at how excited I am. I still can't feel some of my toes from the last time haha. Maybe that makes me crazy to do it again, but knowing I can do it even with all my struggles, gives me a bit of pride.

I've also changed my major a bit and am looking into finishing my second Bachelor degree. My husband has finally decided what he wants to do with his life and so I don't feel as much stress and pressure about having to finish and make all the money.

Overall, I just feel relieved, happy, and excited for the next few months.

Thanks everyone for your advice and caring thoughts. And also for the laughs I get from reading here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2013 01:07PM by fidget.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 01:57PM

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

I take melatonin most nights, too, but it's because I don't get an uninterrupted sleep w/o it. I can't imagine being up 7 days straight!

Have you tried Schiff's Melatonin Ultra? It's not just straight melatonin. I bought it b/c it was what Costco had but it's worked well for me.

Also - drinking chamomile tea in the evening before bed would also help make me drowsy.

Date: April 06, 2013 02:16PM

I love warm tea. I have some in the morning and before bed.

I'll have to look for that melatonin and try it.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 05:08PM

Be careful with melatonin. If you are prone to depression, it can exacerbate it.

Glad to hear things are going better. :)

Date: April 06, 2013 05:48PM

Thanks everyone!

Itz, I didn't know that. I will have to be careful. I'm a summer baby, we are more prone to depression.

Hope, I'm glad you are feeling better about yourself today. Flyboy is taking a break from here, but I still keep in touch with him.

RJ, I've never heard of them before, but I likey! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 06:02PM

Until I was discussing possible remedies to help combat my insomnia. A friend who knows quite a bit about natural remedies confirmed this info. It's why I just stick with plain ol' Benadryl.

Yup...us spring and summer babies are more prone to depression. :(

Posted by: hope ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 03:19PM

I'm happy your on the road to wellness Fidget. I am not familiar with CEBV, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Thanks for chiming in the other day during my mental breakdown :) about not thinking I was a narcissist. Honestly, I snapped out of it after that and it meant alot to me to hear your opinion. I wish you happy days and sleepier nights. What happened to flyboy...did he disappear?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 03:24PM

And MAYBE I get about 4 hours of sleep. Then I'm up.

Training for the marathon may help with your sleep problem because your body will be desperate for the rest.

I wish I could do more physical stuff without paying for it dearly.

It's nice to hear happy things about people.

Also, another poster mentioned that you like metal, and may like these guys.

I just saw them live, and they are phenomenal.

http://youtu.be/NmfzWpp0hMc

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 03:57PM

Yay!!!!!!

I'm so glad things are on a good track for you.

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 06:02PM

Glad to know you're feeling good!

Good luck with the marathon training. Running is therapeutic, isn't it?

Take care of your toes, though. My baby toenails fell off a few days after I ran a 10k in 2009. They are finally back :)

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 06:22PM

Melatonin helps a LITTLE bit if I take it early enough. Valarian did nothing. Benadryl gives me horrible nightmares as do over the counter sleeping pills. I have been trying liquid Lemon Balm and that seems to help a little with the Melatonin. I am going to try Holy Basil and Passion Flower next. Or maybe these as they seem to have a good mix http://www.puritan.com/night-products-007/power-to-sleep-pm-070868

Date: April 06, 2013 10:13PM

I'm going to look into these. Thanks Susan!

Darkfem, I lost three toenails and had over thirty blisters from the last marathon, but it was so worth it :)

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 06:37PM

Glad you are doing better,,good to hear it..

Date: April 07, 2013 08:28PM

Thanks! :)

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 08:46PM

Take 1/2 Drammamine origional (not the non-drowsy) seasickness medicine. If you are still awake in an hour, take the other half.

Do this only once in a while. I learned this trick from a rocket scientist at Stanford, so I know if doesn't impair your mental capacity.

Ambien, Lunesta, and those types of pills inhibit your body's natural production of melatonin. On doctor's orders, I took 1/2 Ambien every night for a couple of weeks for sleep tests, and getting off of it was very difficult. Finally, I got angry, and quit cold-turkey, and couldn't sleep for 4 nights. I never took it again.

Did you know the computer fools your brain into thinking it is daylight? It causes insomnia. Read something pleasant, or even watch something low-key on TV. Stay away from the news, right before bed. Don't think about problems then, either. I love chamomile tea. Lavendar aromatherapy helps, too. Soft lights or a night light, and new, cozy jammies help.

Exercise is the best cure of all--but never exercise at night!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.