Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alphonso ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 08:16AM

I was away at college, when I was attending a stake conference. After the meetings I was walking through the gym (multi-purpose room), when a TBM couple I knew approached me. I was around 21 or so, and they asked me why I wasn't serving a mission. I couldn't even get a word out, when they both started attacking and railing on me. They totally double-teamed me. I couldn't get a word out and I don't remember how I got away from them, because they kept following me around and yelling. What a bunch of idiots!

The reason I didn't serve a mission is on account of a blessing I had received from my SP, in which it was stated, I was not to serve a proselyting mission. Prayer afterwards confirmed it for me. While I know this isn't the "TRUE" church, I do believe in God and that he talks to us. I thank Him for letting me off the hook regarding a mission. I realized later, I am a real strong introvert and more than two hours of continuous social interaction causes my brain to melt and I get severe headaches. Could you imagine that mess on a mission? haha.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 08:20AM

No need to imagine for me, that was me going on a mission. Stuck it out for two years and it was THE WORST two years of my life, bar none.

The church is full of idiots, I know your pain. I had people railing my ass for not being married at 22 because I wasn't searching hard enough. Never mind having a full time job and running a business to set aside for a future, no no, wife searching was number one. Even the bishops wife showed up to my house and gave me a lecture on it. Happily she's one of the people who helped deconvert me.

I empathize, and I understand. Without a lot of caffeine I am unbelievably quiet. I know how it is, my in laws came over today and I was just about to leave because I couldn't take so many people in my house. Just 30 minutes.

Sorry, it went everywhere, but there's those that understand.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:11PM

When I was about 17, Dad asked if I wanted to go on a mission. I said no. End of discussion. Nobody ever challenged me as to why I didn't go, at least not to my face. Dad may have been asked, but if he was, he never told me about it. I would have loved to debate the issue back then.

Ron Burr

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:15PM

You could have politely held up a hand, looked them in they eye, and in a calm but firm voice exclaimed,

"FUCK OFF"

I think they would have gotten the message.

Posted by: alphonso ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:21PM

That would have gotten the message across.

Unfortunately, back then I didn't know how to talk to people, being really introverted and not having figured out how to speak to people. I have since learned how to communicate with the denizens of this world, thank goodness. Although, I do prefer living in my head most of the time.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:20PM

I'd have facepalmed them and quickly said, "Take it up with President so-in-so, because he's the one who stopped me from going on one." Then you could have made your escape while they stood there with their mouths hanging open.

Posted by: S.L. Richards ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:21PM

Having been on a mission and nearly died twice because of the total lack of care in dangerous environments as well as being exposed to the true nature of disgusting Utah and Idahooon racism AND TOLD TO LIE ABOUT ALL OF IT BY THE STAKE PRESIDENT WHEN I GOT HOME, I would NEVER advocate for that, even when I was a member.

Posted by: Goofy1 ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 03:29PM

HAve you posted About your mission experience before? I would like to hear your story.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:26PM

This post should be quoted whenever a TBM refers to missions as "voluntary" for LDS young men.

Posted by: LarryBo ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 03:00PM

That is actually kind of an awesome idea.

The church is really funny in that they claim all members have the right to personal revelation (in fact, it's pretty central to the whole "restored priesthood" story). But in actual practice, the whole thing is a 100% about social conformity, peer pressure, and people constantly getting up in each others business to enforce tedious, invasive, time-consuming, busy work social norms. It's more "Keeping up withe Joneses" rather than "Jim Jones" most of the time.

But those two could be combined for lulz.

"You're 21 - why aren't you going on a mission, brother so-and-so?"

"Wait, what? Didn't your learn in your patriarchical blessing that... Well, there are a number of young men who have been held back for... oh, you must not know for some reason. You must not be worthy yet. I apologize, I've said too much. Understand that this is sacred, not secret. But know that God's ways are not man's ways. You must not be ready to know. Read up with a prayerful heart on the Second Anointing. I'd exhort you to spend a lot more time reading your scriptures, fasting, and praying. There must be some reason you weren't worthy to be told, yet."

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 05:25PM

You could use a variation on my response to missionaries from any denomination: "Oh, I'm sorry. I can't go to your church because of the restraining order."

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 06:05PM

I would have said "I don't want to go on a mission because I don't want to turn out like you. What the hell is wrong with you? Who ACTS like this? You are NOTHING like the Savior. I don't ever want to turn into the disgusting mess you've become. You are a disgrace to Mormonism."

Put the shame back on them where it belongs and let's start calling people on their bad behavior. I know it's hard to stand up to people, especially when you are young, but they don't get to act like monsters and somehow make you feel like you are the one that has done something wrong. That's just mental.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.