Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: King Brigham I ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 10:42AM

In his opening conference address, Monson said that the age-change for missionaries will generate something like 30,000 new proselytizers.

Then, as he ended his speech, he ask the members to contribute to the general missionary fund.

So, members are supposed to contribute 10%, plus pay for a missionary, plus contribute even MORE money?

It's also interesting that he never thanked anybody for the sacrifices they are being asked to make. It was like: "This is just another typical day when you are expected to drain your pockets for the church." In other words, BUSINESS AS USUAL.

Does it ever end?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cantbsabser ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 10:48AM

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 05:37PM

To hardworking hookers everywhere.

I hope when I die, I get to go to the kingdom that all the hookers go to. Even as a weinerless ken-barbie-doll, at least the conversation would be engaging and fun. Can you imagine spending eternity with a bunch of killjoy GAs and their simpering obsequious TBM minions?

And, just because everyone has their parts in the celestial kingdom, doesn't mean that sex will be fun with those people. Imagine, for a moment, having sex with BKP, even when he was 25 years old.

Posted by: 8thgeneration ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:01AM

Running a cult is expensive. Woops, sorry. I mean business. No that can't be right. Is it a religion? No that's not right either.

Anyway, indoctrination is expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 11:02AM by 8thgeneration.

Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:54PM

He should come out and lay it all on the line: "we need more mishies in Africa. That's where the least amount of Internet access is and where we can easily increase our numbers. However, most African missionaries cannot support themselves. It's dangerous there. If you don't send money for us to pay for expendable African boys to go into these dangerous places, we'll have to start sending YOUR sons and grandsons--white boys from Utah. Pray about it and make a choice."

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:26AM

The Double Tithe: if not now, when?

Posted by: Hugh Janus ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 12:42PM

You are referring to the "twice a tithe" inference that he used in a story a few GC's ago.

6Billion a year in tax free profit. 6 Billion a year. These guys (q15) have balls of steel asking for more money.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:33AM

The sad part is it will probably generate millions and millions of dollars.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:36AM

They dont need to double the tith, that would be too transparent. What they do is increase pressure to give to things like fast offerings and the missionary fund. Legally these funds can (and I am sure are) be raided at any time for any reason by the morg. If they think the bretheren need a new executive retreat in Europe but tithing is a bit tight, they can just take a few mil from fast offerings and a few mil from the missionary fund and its "problem solved".

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:55AM

Well... there's that Law of Consecration thing that says everything about you belongs to the church for its growth. So, it's very believable to the temple-enlightened mormons, (or to whoever wants to ask the Google God with a sincere heart and real intent).

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 12:00PM

We panicked because missionary numbers were dropping and we were losing the chance to indoctrinate them. We changed the missionary age without thinking it through, and now we are in a shitload of trouble. We overextended on the mall, and we are hemorraging tithe payers, so please send cash ASAP. The Lord will store up blessings in heaven. If you don't send money, go to hell.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 12:37PM

Well said!

What always gets me is the morgbots who don't see the difference between when a cheesy televangelist asks for people to send him money and what Tommy Monson just did.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 12:45PM

Except when televangelists ask for money they usually promise to send you some books or dvds or something. Monson just wants us to 'go shopping' with what's left over in our pockets.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 04:57PM

My guess is it's more like:

We are getting lots of missionaries, even more than we hoped. We are rich beyond belief with billions of dollars a year of income. But we aren't willing to divert a single penny from our money making investments. So you the members need to pick up the tab.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 05:15PM by The Oncoming Storm - bc.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 12:47PM

Why not just raise tithing to 15% or 20%? It's what any "good" member pays anyway.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 12:58PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 12:48PM

Oh yes. It's part of how the members believe they receive blessings - contributing to tithing, missionary fund, etc.

Not unusual.

All churches do it - no money - no church! I would guess that TV evangelists bring in a lot more money !!

Posted by: ishmael ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 03:02PM

No way do televangelists bring in a lot more money. Generally the money goes into fewer places. Remember Jim and Tammy Faye?

I don't recall their reporting international income, buying huge tracts of land, owning Main Street, tens of thousands of buildings.

Compare Oral Roberts University with the expanded Brigham Young Universities.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 12:50PM

and then when she runs low on money, she will come and ask me or her dad for money. I'm rather shocked by how much she contributes. Even as over the top TBMs, my ex and I never contributed like she does.

Well, you know, the more you give, the more blessings you'll get. Maybe mom will go back to the lds church if she just contributes enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 12:51PM by cl2.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 01:00PM

You can buy anything in this world......with money.

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 01:04PM

When I post online about the church, a primary goal is to make a tiny dent, to whatever little degree I can, in future tithing revenues.

We know thousands of members have strong doubts about LDS doctrine and go searching for historical truths, responses to "difficult" questions, reassurance, ideas about how to leave, etc. online. When I see some of you post thoughtful questions and ideas in a civil way, I am reassured that we might help a few of them.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:06PM

He's kinda acting like those rats that ran Enron....

Ron Burr

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:12PM

Posted by: Southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 04:22PM

That's pretty low of him and the GA's. Is he even aware that the economy is still really bad!!??

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 04:33PM

Yes. They don't care, as long as the money keeps flowing to them. They're perfectly willing to keep families in poverty so they can enjoy endless perks. Makes me sick. And angry.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 04:45PM

They definitely do not manage their money well if they can't make 6 billion dollars a year in revenue stretch.

Posted by: srena nli ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 05:02PM

Then along came a young turtle called Mack.

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 05:31PM

It's such a great business model ------- Give until it hurts! Give your time! Give your money! Yet there is no end to giving because there is no specific quota to get to live with the Mormon god! A few seniors in my area go on local missions but few go out of the area. I think most see those that go away on missions and return and report have clearly wasted important years of their lives at a significant cost in money and family time!

Christianity is much better ----- just repent and ask Jesus to come into your life as your Savior and Reedemer! Christ finished the work that we certainly could not do. Yet morbots are told they not only can but must do every thing they can do then hope it is enough and never know when enough is enough.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:03PM

That christians don't want other people's money.

"Rock bands, jumbotron screens, buckets of tears and oodles of money. Meet the next wave of Christian worship."

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/26/americas-biggest-megachurches-business-megachurches.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 07:04PM by schlock.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 06:30PM

"Let us pay!" Says the Profit.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:43PM

From the perspective of selfishness, hey, people like rousing music, they like to be cheered up, they like to be spiritually uplifted, they like comaraderie, a beautiful cathedral--whatever--and they put their voluntary donations in the basket. For me, Mormonism had nothing but a NEGATIVE return. I gave what I was ordered to give, and got nothing in return. Negatively, I got more harassment, asking for me to play the organ in more meetings, play for more performances, play for more wards, play for the stake, teach others to play, have a teaching calling besides, cook dinner for the stake president who sprained his thumb, clean the ward kitchen and bathrooms, etc. And my children got harassed. And we were all lied to. And we were shunned because we were a "broken home." The worst investment we ever made!

When we graciously and silently pulled out, we should have been thanked for my years of devoted service. Instead, the Mormons did whatever they legally could get away with to make our lives miserable. The kids and I are good citizens, but our Mormon neighbors got very nasty. Finally, in the end, we had to tell them "We will not be insulted in our own home. Please leave." and "I want to garden in peace, so stop soliciting, and get off my lawn."

Would people like that ever thank anyone? It seems they hardly thank God anymore. They thank the great and marvelous only true church headed by a living Prophet.

Who's money is it? Who's labor is it?

Wouldn't we all drop dead if God's Only Living Prophet were to tell the Mormons to donate money directly to the needy who have lost their jobs and have been evicted, the hungry, the abused, the abandoned, in these bad economic times?

Nope, donate to the big business.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.