Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomo28 ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 03:56PM

My friend asked me this the other day, I guess it has been floating around on Facebook too...

If every crime in the world was legal for the next 12 hours, would you survive?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: s4711 logged out ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 04:03PM

Google "The Purge"--upcoming movie about this subject.

As for me: generally speaking, no! Human morality finds its foundation in empathy (a heritage from our primate ancestors). I have no interest in breaching boundaries established by empathy to satisfy base desires.

I'm more interested in maintaing healthy and nourishing relationships with others. I do not think that committing crimes, simply because of a legal stay on prosecution etc., would foster healthy relationships with my "tribe" (even if I reserved criminal behavior for those outside of my tribe).

Now, if I could make purchases within a 12 hour period without the need to pay legal fees, taxes, etc. (where not doing so would constitute a crime), I would be happy to break such regulations!

Posted by: nomo28 ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 04:13PM

My friend and I looked at it the other way, as in people are crazy and would attack us lol! We established that we would barricade ourselves in the house and set up strategic locations in the house, armed to the teeth! I guess we are paranoid lol!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 04:21PM

Just because it would be legal, does not mean it would be acceptable

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:45PM

There are quite a few people who really aren't worried about being accepted by others or society...

Remember Charlie Manson...

Posted by: Stubborn Apostate ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 04:25PM

I think so. We have a good neighborhood with tons of active duty and veterans that are gun-toting. I think our hood could help each other out and survive a 12 hour onslaught of mayhem and debauchery.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:06PM

I live in fairly crime-ridden place for such a small town, right next to the Rez, so it probably wouldn't be too much different, lol.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:11PM

Is the law prohibiting murder the reason I do not murder people? No.

I think that is the same for most people.

In many cases, riots are things were laws are irrelevant, but those are driven by anger reaching a critical point, not because laws were suspended.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:14PM

12 hours isn't long enough to plan anything but a bit of looting. Key would be whether everyone was aware that it's only going to be 12 hours, and after that they'd have to face consequences.

Most people would not take this as license to change their moral framework at all. I wouldn't. They'd band together to defend each other from those who do. Getting the sh*t kicked out of you for doing something that the majority doesn't want you to do might be a big deterrent.. And where I live, the "good" people would almost certainly shoot you. They have guns, lots and lots of guns. Even peace-loving rationalguy has a couple of seldom-used blunderbusses and sidearms!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 07:21PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:50PM

This happens, yearly, on Beta III when they have 'festival.' They pretty much go 'g' rated nuts every year...

Ref: Original Star Trek series, Return of the Archons; season 1, episode 21... (Some times having an eidetic memory sucks)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 07:51PM by John_Lyle.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.