Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 10:45PM

My TBM friend posted this on her wall, and everyone is gushing about how wise this ass is and how he's their favorite. I'm tempted to bite someone.

"Except in the case of his only perfect Begotten Son, imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with. That must be terribly frustrating to Him but He deals with it. So should we. And when you see imperfection, remember that the limitation is not in the divinity of the work." ---Jeffrey R. Holland---

Um, ladies, did you even hear what he said? God is frustrated with us. Excuuuse me, isn't he God? Didn't he make us (according to them), and isn't he all powerful, but he's frustrated? Puny god. Plus the rest is bullshit too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 12:08AM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Utchick33 ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 10:52PM

Wow... Makes sense though, considering I've seen nothing but ranting about how wise the old fuckers in suits are on my Facebook page. I want to beat these people with a Book of Mormon. Until my husband deciphered what was really being said today, I realized they are and have been full of shit for years...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 12:09AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 10:58PM

The thing is, these are the same people who have been warning members for years to avoid unrighteous companions. You know, people who drink coffee or go to the beach on Sunday or wear tank tops. All these "imperfect" humans must be avoided like the plague by faithful Mormons who want to avoid the appearance of evil. Don't even get me started on how little Mormons are willing to put up with, much less love their neighbor, should they be exMormon.

In other words, if someone is paying tithing and has their butt in a pew on Sunday, then take what they dish out. Doesn't matter how rotten they treat you or how corrupt their character. They are Mormons so bend over and take it like the Lord wants you to. If someone is 100 times the human being, with 100 times more character and charity than a Mormon, yet does one tiny jot or tittle of Mormon culture wrong, then this advice about putting up with imperfections no longer applies.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:26PM

GEE thats amazing; that a perfect God would make imperfect people...hmmmm...And then we frustrate him by being IMperfect??? ..BUT "HE" made us??? So IS God Perfect?

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:02PM

That always bugged me and I asked my TBM friend one day when I was still a member, "Do you ever wonder why if God is so disappoined in us that must mean he isn't taking responsibility for what he created. Why blame his creations?"

OMG! She said that it is because of our free agency and that it is the choices we make that disappoint him," blah, blah, blah.

Then I said but free agency isn't really free; we are only free if we do exactly what God and the church wants us to do."

You can guess where that went :-)

If I believed in God I'd have to say he was the first dysfunctional parent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 12:10AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:18AM

Helen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I believed in God I'd have to say he was the
> first dysfunctional parent.

LOL LOL LOL...I'm gonna send this to all of my TBM friends.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:05PM

"The church is perfect the people are not" (copyright 2013 COJCOLDS).

What a great marketing slogan. Its right up there with "we bring great things to life" and "You deserve a break today".

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:07AM

Actually the original quote is, "Islam is perfect, Muslims are not." And the original copyright (if you could copyright that sort of thing) would rightfully belong to the Muslims.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 12:10AM by Susan I/S.

Date: April 08, 2013 12:21AM

That's right - I'd heard that before. I'm going to quote that to my next TBM who makes the comment.

Posted by: slimchance ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:08PM

Today I realized how many of my friends and family are Mormon after my Facebook page was plastered with this quote. My page was nothing but cheasy, cliche, Mormon quotes. I may as well have gone to LDS.org instead of Facebook. I'm so tired of the church.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:13PM

I challenge those of you with lots of TBM's on your facebook to watch the next conference and keep a running commentary of snarky comments during the talks. The challenge is to see if you can identify the choice quotes and make fun of them before the TBM's can go into orgasms over them. This might just keep some of them in check if they see how idiotic normal people think they sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 12:11AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: atom ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:36AM

Thank You Jeff Holland for helping us understand how tough it is to be so perfect, and have imperfect underlings.

John Stuart Mill offers this, as a counterpoint to Holland's stupid logic:

"Imagine a being who would create Hell, then who would create the human race with the infallible foreknowledge and therefore with the intention that the great majority of them were to be consigned to horrible and everlasting torment."

If you ask me, God is a monster, and only his nonexistence can excuse him.

Posted by: manchesteruk ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 03:29AM

Seems like Holand has got the 'sort out the exmos' job

All his talks seem directed at us unbelievers.

Tough audience!

Date: April 08, 2013 09:05AM

If he wants to sort out exmos, he really should stop lying about things and remember that inactives/exmos compare notes, check facts and aren't afraid to call him on his lies. We aren't brainwashed believers and if he lies, we will find out and we will broadcast his "sins" faster than any God that may be tolerating him.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 07:41AM

Holland has been pretty good lately at assigning human emotions to a God who is suppossed to be above all that. Frustration, anxiety, jealosy, etc.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 07:54AM

Actually, the OT presents God with all emotions including jealousy, Christ showed anger at the money-changers and note what he said about the pharisees (TSCC).

Holland was, as usual, spouting the party line. Actually, it is a miracle that so many very good people belong to TSCC which is rotten from the beginning to the end. Ironically, TSCC teaches members they have to be perfect and now says God made them imperfect. God allows people, made in His image, to go astray including going into moism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 08:36AM by rhgc.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 09:10AM

I would say that talk highlights the effect that places like here are having on LDS Inc.

I think it is an indication that the LDS corporation is aware that they have been exposed, and Google is utterly destroying them.

We may not see 'Death Star' shot with a spectacular implosion of the LDS company, but recruiting must be coming to a standstill.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 09:23AM

Well God...
eehmm

Sorry dude.
I'm sorry to be such a frustration to you.

Tell ya what, just go on and forget about me okay?. Cut me right out of your life and ignore me. Just like I don't exist.
And I'll do the same.

ta..

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 12:37PM

Er...ummm....it seems that by definition a perfect being cannot make an imperfect being; if a master craftsman builds a Rolls Royce, it should be pretty good, eh?

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 01:22PM

My TBM friends were all acting like Holland's talk was the single greatest piece of revelation since Jehovah and Michael went down on Elohim. One of them posted: "I'm pretty sure Elder Holland just delivered the answer to the collective prayers of every person on Earth." Are you shitting me? These poor people are so starved for spiritual guidance that they've started hallucinating.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:05PM

That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever read. Well, God is basically a corporate manager all of whose employees are bunglers, but he hasn't got the authority to fire them. So, he "deals with it," though it's very frustrating for him. I wonder if he's on anti-anxiety drugs and anti-depressants too? You know, to help him cope with all those crap employees he's stuck trying to "work with," as their supervisor.

2,000 years ago, though, he had one perfect employee: his only begotten son. It sure raises the question, why doesn't he just beget some more? But, wait, he did beget more. He's the father in heaven. Am I confused, or is this confusing?

Moreover, explain to me, anyone, "when you see imperfections, remember that the limitation is not in the divinity of the work." What in the world does that mean? According to the story, the divinity created the work. All of it. The limitations were built into the creation, so where else but in the divinity should anyone look for the source of the limitations?

If Mormons even thought for one minute about what they're told to believe, they'd see it's not true. It's mostly word salad. It's excuse-making for the obvious fact that the results fall far short of the promises.

Nothing in the quote can identify the value of the human being. And to try to imagine a frustrated, all-powerful God is frustrating by itself, because it's stupid. Why doesn't God just fast and pray to himself if he's frustrated? Starved for spiritual guidance, indeed!

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:25PM

Oh! I see he caught Packer's talk.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.