Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 12:50PM

We found out fairly recently that one of our children is a natural at running. We drove past a park one day that had a sign up about an upcoming 5K and Kiddo said, "That looks like fun. I want to try it." Kiddo did - and won a medal for the age group with no previous experience or training. Etc, etc, and now Kiddo is talking to the school track coach about joining the team next year.

Well, Kiddo brought me a flier this week about another upcoming race... and my TBM spouse said NO. Why?

Because it's on a Sunday.

All my arguments have fallen on deaf ears. I am wondering -- if the Kiddo makes it on the track team... what will we do if any events fall on a Sunday? TBM spouse says Kiddo won't participate and thinks the coach and team should be fine with that, "And if they aren't, then it's not the kind of team you want to be on."

Aaaaargh!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 01:31PM

We now live in a global community. When it's Sunday in the US, it's Monday somewhere else in the world. You can bet business doesn't shut down. There are other churches that have services on days other than Sunday and at times of your own choosing. Flexibility is important today.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 01:34AM

He stuck to his guns about not running on the Sabbath and things worked out OK for him.

But it may not be right for your son. If your son has the talent for running, and finds joy in it, maybe you can convince your spouse that running is an expression of a God-given talent, and it might be wrong to try to suppress it.

Good luck!

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 01:32PM

The 7th day, Saturday, is the Sabbath.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 04:00PM

+1

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 01:33PM

Ya..bummer how some people get hung up on some tiny detail that is blown out of proportion.

Posted by: checkingout ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 01:45PM

From experience...the team will have a problem with it. They will perceive it to be a lack of commitment on the part of your son. It could reduce his opportunities to compete if another kid is vying for the same position, say on a relay team, and has no such limitations.

Not participating on Sunday will also make him standout, which for many kids at that age is not good, since they want to fit in and be accepted.

Posted by: janebond462 (NLI) ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 02:01PM

How old is your budding Usain Bolt? If they're in middle school or HS, could you use the argument that success in running could lead to college scholarships? With multiple children, college would be a big financial burden for you guys.

I've kept up with your posts here and your husband sounds like a Grade A douche who is in serious need of an ass-kicking.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 02:03PM

>
> I've kept up with your posts here and your husband
> sounds like a Grade A douche who is in serious
> need of an ass-kicking.

I have to agree

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 02:12PM

He's in Middle School... I did try that argument and got more of the "He will end up wherever God wants Him" speech, which means BYU or bust and scholarships be d*mned. Also, DH firmly believes kids should pay for their own schooling (he and I both had to pay for ours). I disagree but am saving that argument for another day...

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 02:03PM

What annoys me is that TSCC is not very clear about what is and what is not allowed on Sundays...so members make up their OWN rules. And they pick and choose according to what they can and cannot rationalize. My super duper TBM husband has always done this. All of my Mormon friends do this. I used to do it too. I have a child who WILL NOT study on Sundays, but will watch TV and play computer games and go out to eat.

I always wished they would have made the "rules" for Sunday clear.
Of course, now I think it's all kind of dumb and pointless and just silliness designed to confuse members.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 02:04PM

My super strict TBM stepmom used to take us out to eat on Sundays after church about once every 2 months or so. She justified it by saying that since we had already attended and put in our 3 hours, the lord wouldn't mind if she didn't cook that day. It was always a WTF? moment for me because she was SO strict about everything else.

Posted by: raisingspecialneeds ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 02:18PM

Sadly, this is very common. It is considered "virtuous" to let an entire team down that you join because a competition falls on a Sunday. Luckily my TBM mom didn't follow that crap and I was able to compete on Sundays.

I had a Bishop one time tell me that it was a sin for me to work on Sundays and it was better that I did not work and lived off welfare then sin and work on Sunday. I'm a freaking nurse! I save lives for a living! I care for those who are too ill to care for themselves!

Posted by: woody ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 01:18AM

Like someone said the Sabbath is not sunday its saturday the 7th day of the week sunday is the first day of the week God only blessed and made holy the seventh day not first the catholic church changed Gods law in 321 a.d to sunday worship. But up until then it was saturday worship God bless you for all who followed and believed in christ and Jesus did an new example on how we should keep the Sabbath only the priest work on Sabbath which Jesus was the High priest and any one who is anointed meaning baptized worked on Sabbath meaning preach and do the gospel work preach the truth ...like passover and Gods feast etc and preach about the savior could go on, but Jesus didn't ever say don't keep Sabbath actually after he went back to heaven the apostles continued to keep it as there customs plenty of versus in the bible

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 02:28PM

It's allright for BYU to play football or do other team sports on Sunday in front of a paying crowd that buys food and drinks on Sunday and pennants,etc.

But it is not okay for a kid to participate in sports???

Because everyone of those BYU team players started out in Jr. High being on their team playing on Sunday!

Posted by: lump ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 03:10PM

Mormon Observer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's allright for BYU to play football or do other
> team sports on Sunday in front of a paying crowd
> that buys food and drinks on Sunday and
> pennants,etc.
>
> But it is not okay for a kid to participate in
> sports???
>
> Because everyone of those BYU team players started
> out in Jr. High being on their team playing on
> Sunday!
When has BYU ever played any games on Sunday? Doesn't happen.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 03:40PM

That's true, BYU doesn't play on Sunday which, from what I understand, is an obstacle for them if they ever want to find another conference.

By the time BYU grads get to the professional arena, they make enough $$$ that the rules no longer apply and TSCC is more than happy to accept their tithing.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 02:37PM

I used to follow the Sabbath to the letter until I began seeing the hypocrisy of it.

GAs travelling back to Utah on a Sunday. Hmm, shouldn't they be at church or keeping the Sabbath or making sure they do not make anyone work?

I saw our SP at a restaurant once with a visiting guy from somewhere in Utah. Yep, we couldn't believe it either. I was at a restaurant with two other women, after church, feeling very guilty, and lo and behold these guys walk in. LOL

All the famous mormons that are put as examples. Well, they break the Sabbath on a regular basis. Football players, hotel owners, singers, entertainers, etc.

What about BYU TV and all the mormon stuff that goes on on Sundays. I know, the justification is that they are not "of the world".

All I can say is: Stand up for your kid, he'll love you for it..

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 02:40PM

Steve Young played every freaking Sunday and he's still one of the chosen ones. How can he argue with that?

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 02:47PM

Remember that movie "chariots of fire". My TBM mom thought that it was the greatest movie in the world because that guy wouldn't run on Sunday.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 02:56PM

Sabbath Day holy is Old Testament law, Christ provided a new order.

Didn't Christ speak against the Saducees and Pharisees for their obsessions and strict adherence to OT law. If they want to keep th OT laws they should become Orthodox Jews. Different Sabbath though.

It's all nuts to me, would be nicer if the people who believe it knew what they believe.

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 03:58PM

Ask if it's okay to run if he takes less than 3,000 steps on the sabbath.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 04:09PM

fair to say to a pharisee...

Posted by: wolfsbane ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 04:27PM

The "Sabbath" is just another day the earth rotates on it's axis. I was hanging with a couple TBM buddies a few weeks ago. We were watching a movie on a Saturday night. It was 11:45 p.m. and one buddy gets a phone call from his frantic wife. She was yelling so loud I could hear her even though he took the call in another room. His wife said: "THE SABBATH STARTS IN 15 MINUETS! YOU BETTER GET HOME RIGHT NOW!!!". He quickly made up an excuse why he needed to leave and took off like a bat out of hell. I can't believe how asinine some people are.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 04:53PM

I know personally someone who works for the church in the church office building. This person has to work about 3 Sundays a month. Again, has to work, as in not optional. The church itself does not in any way keep Sunday "holy".

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 01:58AM

Maybe you can remind your son's father that the teenage years are best filled with wholesome activities that a child LOVES to do. These are the activities that can really make a difference in how a child chooses to spend his time and energy and keep out of activities that are not in his best interest.

I know with my own children in their teenage years, sports of all sorts, (soccer, running, basketball, skiing, football) are what they lived for. Some were active, by their own choosing, in the morg, but that is not what they loved and lived to do. Two of my boys did land very prestigious scholarships because of their soccer abilities, and with my other children, who also earned scholarships, I believe their athletic abilities played into their being chosen for the scholarships.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 02:00AM by presleynfactsrock.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.