Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 08:56AM

My brother paid for a class.

Dave Ramsey's "Financal Peace" university.

Fasinating.

I knew how to save. I have pretty much stayed out of debt.
But I have learned a whole lot better things to do with my 10%!!!!

The suits always told us to stay out of debt, but never taught how to have a 'spending plan' so we could truly assess how to afford the things we want.

So if the members ever knew where their money went in their own lives and how to make it work for them, and to be the master of their own money........ they would start asking the SLC TSCC what in the hell are you doing with the money???
You would look at someone who bought a car on credit as a person who can't plan ahead.

This class has given me the ability to know what to do with my savings and what to have savings for: emergency fund and 3 to 6 months supply, plus eventually disability insurance that kicks in six months after you can't work anymore...
So anyone else know of this guy???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jan ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 09:07AM

"Financial Peace University", right? I just started through my church. So far, great. I've heard positive things about him from other people.

Don't know if he mentioned this about long term disability insurance - if you pay the premiums with after-tax $, the benefits are tax free. So a 75% LTD benefit is about equal to your pre-disability take-home pay.

Posted by: Marco Torres ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 09:23AM

'You would look at someone who bought a car on credit as a person who can't plan ahead.'

So I just bought a vehicle with 0% financing and I had the money to pay cash. However I chose to use that money to invest in other areas. Does that still make me a person that can't plan ahead? He has many good ideas but following him blindly like a sheep is ridiculous.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 10:24AM

Or someone that really needs a car, but struggles with low income, but can't slap down 16K, and doesn't want to buy a lemon because the cost of repairs versus buying a relatively new used, reliable car would be about the same.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:04PM

I guess I'm glad my husband is a car guy.
We spend very little on vehicles.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 09:23AM

Dave Ramsey
Is a strong believer in th thing, but he will also tell you pay the bills that keeps a warm, dry roof over your head first.
It is a good plan. TO some people it seems easy to plan, but for others, it helps you map out things.

LDS has a program that is almost exactly like Dave's, but with a much stronger emphasis on tithing.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 10:57AM

Dave is a Christian, but don't hold that against him. He's got more common sense than your average financial planner. Basic info -- if you don't have the dough, don't get it.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:15PM

I have bought new cars on credit, and used cars on credit and paid for them outright.
I prefer having no payments. I put money aside for repairs and am now starting to save again for my next car.
I don't like debt as a way of life.
We lived without credit cards for years. I had a husband who would max them out every chance he got so I started refusing to sign any loans with him. When I divorced him I didn't have huge debts over my head.

What I found useful is the emergency fund (I've used it).
But what I want most is the 3-6 months savings, left untouched, for being out of work so you can cover your job search!!!
Also his 'savings' plans maps out very well what you are saving for; vacation, rototiller, new roof etc. You can instantly see where you are in your Christmas fund, your new couch fund etc.
I want to make a list of movies the kids want so we can check them off as we get them and not just willy nilly get a 'great deal' at a retail store on a second choice movie and never have the funds to get our first choice movies.

I love that he tells you feed your kids, put shoes on them and pay the light bill before you even think of tithing! Take care of your own first, then pay tithing. And 'giving' doesn't have to be to a blasted church with no accountability either!

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:08PM

I love DR. I followed his plan to the letter and it changed my financial life. Even if you don't buy the whole "avoid debt like the plague" thing (I agree with him, but you don't have to), his baby steps for getting OUT of debt and saving for your future are easy to understand and solid advice for people in our culture who are brought up to be financially illiterate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.