Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Utahnomo ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 11:22AM

So I have been watching all the craziness that is going on in the world these days and the other day I had this scary thought.

"Sometimes the comfort of ignorance and blind faith seems somehow appealing as opposed to the knowledge that it is all a fraud. To believe blindly the ridiculous promises made by TSCC and to believe in some wonderful heaven waiting for me at the end of this roller coaster ride called life sometimes seems like a viable alternative to knowing what I know."

I read a post on here the other day by a man that was artfully done and it really made me think deeply. He talked about his journey from a true believer to finding the truth and then being hit in the face with the knowledge that if he pursued the truth he would lose his family. He then proceeded to go back under the spell so to speak and go back to being a TBM, at least in practice. The way he shared his thoughts of becoming numb again after seeing the truth of everything and his journey back into submission were expressed in such a poignant way as to make one feel his pain.

As I pondered what he had written I thought that sometimes it might be comfortable to go back to that brain dead state of blind faith where you are told how to live your life and had every detail spelled out for you from what your thoughts should be to how you should act in every situation. I realized that it is a lazy person's dream because thinking for yourself takes energy and effort. Thinking for yourself is something that takes courage and strength and you have to keep your mind alert to all that is going on around you because you don't have a road map provided by some person who fancies himself God's spokesman that is telling you how to think and act on every issue.

Of course the scary thought only lasted about one millisecond because I could never go back under that evil spell now that I have lived in the light of self awareness and consciousness that I have lived in for the past many years since being out of TSCC. But for just that one millisecond, the evil spell beckoned to me to come back and be lazy and "just believe".

I can't even begin to express how much better my life has been since leaving that organization. It would take a book to talk about all the aspects of my life that are so much better since leaving that restrictive repressive life behind. I guess the truth of the matter is that I hated being in that life even when I was there because I simply did not have the mindset to just be told what to do and think, and accept that and do it. I always questioned and searched and in truth I was never lazy enough to just believe and do and not wonder why.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 11:47AM

Excellent points--and that would have been enigma's "remember us"

I really liked a post by SLDrone a few days ago. Maybe he'll see that I stated something about it. I copied it and can post it if he doesn't come back, but it dealt with this issue.

I don't consider myself a strong person and as much as I wanted to believe, once I figured it out, I couldn't go back. I'll say again what my exmo therapist said about my TBM daughter--she was anti some years back. She is over the top TBM--attends 2 wards every Sunday all 3 hours, does baptisms for the dead once a week, reads scriptures and conference talks for 45 minutes a day, NEVER misses a meeting, etc., etc. He said that "she knows the truth, but she has chosen to put back on the virtual reality helmet called mormonism, but once you know the truth, those truths keep seeping in, so every time some truth seeps in, she has to have another dose of her religion."

Yep--that would be her.

Anyway--SLDrone's post was called "rare person" or something like that.

And enigma did eventually leave and got a divorce. He is free.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.