Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 06:36PM

I think some LDS Scout "leaders" could get a troop stranded in a Walmart.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 06:39PM

...how did the LDS church end up adopting the Boy Scouts as their official young men's program instead of having their divinely directed prophets come up with something totally their own and much better than anything mere gentiles could create?

Posted by: DavenotinTX ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 04:31PM

I remember seeing a bunch of kids at the SLC airport in previous years when i still lived in TX that were called Liahona Scounts (?). their uniform was very similar but not exactly same as BSA. And the kids were mostly Pacific Islanders (I believe). I was thinking back then that this was the NEW scout program that the LDS had thought up to get around all of the BSA training rules, etc, etc.

Who knows more about Liahona Scouts?? I am curious.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 07:37PM

your tax dollars paying for yet more mormon stupidity.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 12:32PM

and we know we're talking a pretty high bar here.

I assumed it was some idiots who got caught in a flash flood because they didn't bother to check the forecast or check in with the rangers.

but no, three fat fucks just sat down and said, "go on and leave us here. We'll wait for the helicopter."

so the rest of the group just left the three fat fucks there and went on completing the hike.

This violates just about every scout regulation known to man.

Clearly Heavenly Father was multi-tasking at the time he was telling the kolobians to go take a hike. He should have been paying better attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 12:33PM by scooter.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 02:18PM

I could share far too many stories of inept LDS scout leaders.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 03:55PM

The treatment of gay scouts and gay leaders within the Boy Scout organization has received some fresh coverage and analysis:

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/22/boy_scouts_still_wrong_on_lgbt_rights/

Excerpt below:

It’s not really progress – or even compromise – if your gentle, glacial-paced attempts at moving into the 21st century reek of condescension and open up a whole big can of outright bigotry. So let’s try this again, shall we, Boy Scouts?

The famously LGBT-averse organization has in recent months been taking awkward steps toward becoming more inclusive, thanks to a series of high-profile challenges and increasing pleas for greater tolerance within its ranks. In January, it announced it was “potentially discussing” changing its restrictions on gay members.

Then, last month, it unveiled a new survey it’s sending to its members that will feel them out on a few scenarios that “could happen if the Boy Scouts keeps or changes its policy” – scenarios that bear no small resemblance to recent high-profile stories involving gay Scouts and adult leaders who’ve been shut out because of their orientation. It was a peculiar move – one that had the appearance of progress but the suggestion that equality toward those oddly classified “open homosexuals” is something that can be dictated by the tastes of an organization’s members….

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 03:59PM

The window dressing of competent leadership without the standards and follow-through to actually establish and maintain competent leadership.

The "suggestion toward equality" for gays without establishing real equality. (Same for Scouts as for LDS church.)

Sounds like the mormon church exacerbates the faults within the Boy Scout organization.

Posted by: almostgone ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 04:15PM

Got a letter about the proposed change that will be voted on at next months meeting.

It will be interesting to see if TSCC gets rid of scouting soon thereafter.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 04:20PM

I tell you what.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.