Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: raisingspecialneeds ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 10:06PM

So the LDS church teaches we are all spirit children of God, and even pick our earthly family before we ever get sent here.

Here's my question: How does that actually make sense? Lets talk about blended families. There are more families out there that have children to different people than their current spouse. So, are we all up their in the spirit world and two men are arguing about who gets to be with her. Woman decides she is going to marry spirit man A first, then spirit man B second. She tells her preborn children to pick which daddy they want, and the preborn children grab onto their future daddy?

How about for the man? Two spirit women catfighting over him. He tells one he will marry her and have their babies. He takes the second one in private and promises he will only stay with spirit woman A for a certain amount of time then he will leave her and marry Spirit woman B and pop out more kids.

How are our families predetermined when there are so many blended families? And how about those women who put their babies up for adoption? Do the preborn adopted child go up to the spirit birth mom and say, "Okay, so the woman I want to raise me is going to be screwed out of fertility, so I'm going to grow in you and then you just hand me over when I'm fully baked."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 10:26PM

At different points while I was growing up in the cult, I was told either A) that I chose my family & B) that my family was assigned to me. Either belief is really screwed up.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 11:18PM

I never could really square this doctrine in the back of my mind. It never made sense, so I just put it up on the shelf.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 12:55AM

I can't believe that it could be true, what about all the children that grow up in horribly abusive and unloving families, families where they would be better off as orphans. Are you honestly going to tell me that I chose my worthless parents? Yeah right.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 01:36AM

It never made sense to me either. Why would you choose to be born in "bad" or dysfunctional families? John Bytheway actually debunked this in one of his many "What I Wish I'd Known" books.
My friend believes that a lot of the ideas about this stemmed from Saturday's Warrior.

The other one that never made sense was the one where your spirit resembles your body (or sometimes the other way around) because that would imply your "earthly" parents had been determined so you and your siblings could look alike.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.