Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 01:34AM

Remember that my son is TBM and 12 years old? Well, he's proving that he's more tuned in that I expected.

We somehow got on topic of cleaning the building (he stayed after to help clean, Deacon job, I guess?). We talked about bathrooms being dirty there, since they stopped paying for janitors to clean, and that evolved into me saying that I don't understand why, if the tscc brings in 7 billion each year, why can't they afford to pay a janitor?

And my son piped up with, "Yeah, and didn't you say they just built a something-billion dollar mall in SLC?". My daughter is cute, and says, "A mall......for MORMONS?!".

Anyway, my son asked me, "Did they get revelation for that?". To which I began to say I didn't know, and before I could even finish, he says, "I don't think they did........I don't think so because this is how the Roman Catholic church came apart. You know the Protestants, Lutherans (he named some others) are direct offshoots of the Catholic church because in Roman times the church got greedy. They started accepting money for forgiveness of sins......and Luther had enough and left the church. And then the pope got angry with Luther for posting his decree all over town and took followers with him!".

He continued, "And the Catholics tried to change some things to win back the people who left, and it didn't really work!...all because they got greedy!".

YOU GUYS.....!!!!!!! My kid is a critical thinker. I doubted him a little bit, and I'm mad at myself. He's seeing it for what it is. A little at a time.

Can I just give a shout out to his World Civilization teacher?!!!! I could kiss her on the lips for keeping my kid interested enough to actually learn something like this......and have him APPLYING it to his life! How can I thank her enough for helping my kid gain not only knowledge, but a little bit of cog dis?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 01:44AM

Oh.....I forgot to mention, I think he said Luther was excommunicated. He went on to detail the horrors of being excommunicated in catholic church, that it meant you could not associate with anyone in church or be in "holy places" like the church buildings.

Wow. Ouch. He has no idea I am excommunicated. I honestly didn't think he would understand the implications.

Apparently I deserve the wah wah mother of the year award for completely underestimating my son.

I admit, I did wonder if/when I should ever tell him that his mother holds the title of Excommunicated?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 07:04AM

There is great sadness in Primary Heaven today. The kid should do well in life and poorly in Mormonism. Now there's a win-win.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 08:25AM

You son is able to see what I didn't see until my early 20's.

I'm happy for you!

Sometimes, children can really, really surprise us and put us in awe.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 08:59AM

his kolobian scout troop.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 09:10AM

That is really cool! I love how he thinks for himself.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.