Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 09:48AM

Back in 2009 a 7 year-old Utah kid named Preston Scarborough was angry about being in church, and got in his parents car and drove home.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP7gfDK9tx8

I saw it on "Caught on Camera" and had a good laugh. Anyone remember this? Was he a Mormon kid? I wish that I had stolen the family car to get home during church when I was a kid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:06AM

But I do remember running home on foot a few times since the church wasn't that far away.

Posted by: confusedkim ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 12:26PM

When I was 14 I was visiting family and staying with my cousin. We both hated church so during sacrament my cousin took my grandmas keys from her purse. She had a brand new maxima and at the time it was bada$$. Anyway when everyone went to their classes we took my grandmas car for a joy ride in the parking lot. While trying to park it, my cousin hit another car so she backed it out and parked it a few spaces down. No one ever found out and a few days later my grandma noticed the scratch and though it happened at the grocery store. I only wish we had the guts to drive it all the way home!

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 12:35PM

I WISH I could have walked/run home! As a young teen I used to hide out behind the church building in the summer. There was a nice grassy area where I could hide in between the back of the chapel and a little grove of trees. So much nicer than being stuck listening to the same lessons over and over while the boys in the back of the class made farting noises with their armpits.

Posted by: s4711 logged out ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 12:43PM

Bad ass. I want confirmation he is the child of Mormon parents (not 8 at that time, so not a "member" yet...). Awesome.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 01:06PM

I don't think it ever occurred to me that leaving was an option!

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 01:27PM

did pretty well for 7 year old

good thing he wasn't 8 years old and baptized....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ09P0w7u1c

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 02:01PM

It was about 5+ miles to drive to church from our house, but a nice shortcut trail through the woods was less than a mile.

As a kid, I would often leave early and walk home through the woods.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 03:06PM

Yum yum doughnuts was a nice getaway for me.

Posted by: Not logged in ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 03:15PM

When the story first came out, the news media said it was because the kid was trying to get out of going to church, but in later reports the parents denied that was the motive. I dunno, but I think the first version probably got it right...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.