Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heathjh ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:29AM

Does anyone know of people ex'd for just being gay and never having acted on it? What did the CHI say back in the 70's and 80's?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:36AM

I have never heard of someone being excommunicated for simply admitting to having the feelings. There was that horrible speech by Ernest L. Wilkinson in 1965 essentially kicking out students who were gay ("We do not want others on this campus to be contaminated by your presence"). But I was able to confess to having the feelings without being punished. I was punished for whatever I did to act on them, however.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:41AM

Apostle, Boyd K Packer, once wrote:

There is a falsehood that some are born with an attraction to their own kind, with nothing they can do about it. They are just 'that way' and can only yield to those desires. It is a malicious and destructive lie. While it is a convincing idea to some, it is of the devil. No one is locked into that kind of life... Boys are to become men – masculine, manly men – ultimately to become husbands and fathers. ("To Young Men Only")

http://www.lds-mormon.com/only.shtml

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 11:40AM

Ooo... that's a money quote. So now with the church's official "we don't know what causes homosexuality" stance, does that mean that Packer was not speaking as an apostle when he made that statement since it was wrong?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 11:49AM

'church doctrine' rolls along like a river; when a river crosses a political (county, state, national) border, it completely changes its character, don't ya know?

Same with the morg, only its borders are time & circumstance.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 02:02PM

about my gay boyfriend, they told me that unless he changed, he was damned. He couldn't just control it.

AND he had not been celibate. He was not disfellowshipped or excommunicated. He was an RM. The bishop told me that they had found that to discipline gays, MOST gays never came back into the church, so the counsel given by the GAs was to put them on probation and work with them.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 03:56PM

I had two friends disfellowshipped and one exed in 1982. The one exed was an RM. I need to dig out the DHI on homosexuality to refresh my memory of specifics. The bishop gave me his copy after my church court in 1992. I mostly remember it had the old nurture rhetoric that it was caused by an overprotective mother and a distant father.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 04:29PM

I know of a few gays who told their bishops they were gay, but had not acted on their gay feelings. The bishops didn't believe them and either ex'd them or took other disciplinary actions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.