Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 09:25AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPycvh-mYbE

This is a fascinating documentary, well worth your time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 09:30AM

While I find the issue fascinating, and I believe in evolution, I have trust issues with books by guys named Spencer. This one isn't going to tell me I become gay from touching myself will it?

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 09:31AM

Just tagging this thread so i can find it later. I love this stuff it's so interesting and amazing! Thanks
can't wait to watch it!

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:07AM

Incredible journey that is well worth watching. I have the video.

Out of Africa and with DNA and other documentation to follow lineage across the world. Fascinating in that it also has a segment about American Indians.

Informative with no hidden agenda. Just following the science. He explains the way he follows the DNA and the markers that are used in the blood lines.

Helps viewers to understand the process. Thanks for the heads up about this.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 03:26PM

That documentary and the companion book were big eye openers for me. Here was a reporting of the scientific discoveries on population genetics with no reference to Mormonism. I watched this during the time I was at BYU, and beginning to lose what testimony I had left. Who knew watching PBS was the way to apostasy? I always thought that was what Rated R movies were for.

Mormon beliefs about a number of race issues--not just the Lamanites--could not coexist with this data.

It's also just a fun journey. Hunting with the Bushmen, going out to the Chukchi reindeer herds in Siberia, etc.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:08PM

Bottom line:

No Lamanites

No Great Flood

No Garden of Eden in America

No way to ever enforce any priesthood ban on blacks

Posted by: freund ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:47PM

Love this documentary, but when I first saw it, it really hurt my testimony's feelings. A big spiritual :(

*Spoiler Alert* - Native Americans are decedents of Mongoloids from Central/Southeast Asia, not the Hebrews! Surprise!

It was kind of sad to see the host explain to some Native Americans that their creation myth was not consistent with modern science. It was even sadder when I caught myself defending my myth against the same science.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 09:04AM

Terrific video- candy for the open mind.

I liked the part where he told the Aborigine descendant, who was claiming the Australian story of man originating in Australia then migrating to Africa is "true."

He said, "We lost our story. In the west we use science to find and tell our story."

DNA science is having so much impact on our world, its how it must have been when they finally realized the earth was round. DNA impacting the justice system, health care, anthropology and now--FINALLY-- religion.

Every person on earth will eventually decide if it matters that their religion is not telling them the literal truth, that it is a metaphorical truth, a parable, a "truth greater than literal truth," a lie with wings, an old ancestral tale made a legend, made true by the patina of time?

Anagrammy

Posted by: brian ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 01:30AM

The thing I love is how wrong the Mormons have it. With all of their stupid Cain/bloodlines/fence sitting blah blah blah, all of us could very possibly be from Africa. The irony of that is hilarious. Wish there were a day when it all became incontrovertible truth and the Mormons had that pie pushed in their face!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 02:13AM

Those who claim that the colonization of Australia is strong evidence that ancient humans managed to develop the maritime skills to make the open ocean crossing need to realize it really only involved crossing 150 miles of tropical seas, and there were plenty of islands they could "practice" on before making that successful voyage to Oz (thanks to Simon Southerton for that information).

That's a mighty blow to all of the "hyper=diffusionists."

Interesting analysis on how coastal populations could "afford" darker sking (because of the presence of fish in their diets); one explains a lot about the Mediterranean "complexion." Those who migrated to Northern Europe required lighter complexions in order to metabolize Vitamin D....

More interesting interpretations pointing to Northern Europeans arriving from Africa via Asia... That one is doubtless open to debate since the number of sample markers is extremely small...

Will Bagley spent last summer in France, and in a presentation he made involving the cave art in Lasgaux, he noted human beings had lived in that region for 370,700 years... I was gentle with my fact checking (later that week in his office) and I stuck with a timetable closer to the one given in this video (with the timetable for the "Out of Africa" migration being estimated at ~50-70,000 years ago... Will smiled and noted "Well, it was the French who were claiming that one."

It's clear the issue far from fully settled...

Moving on to Native American migrations... Tantalizing stuff involving the Chukchi in Northern Russia... That 15,000 year timetable involving Arctic nomads seems a much more plausible explanation for how Native Americans arrived here than any ancient sailors who managed to navigate some of the most inhospitable waters on the planet...

Edit: WOW!!! LOOK AT THAT TIPI!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 02:25AM by SL Cabbie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.