Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:53AM

Which is, how and when should I start breaking the Word of Wisdom? My advice, at once.

Me personally, I still stay away from tobacco products, but alcohol, in moderation, and coffee and tea with a little less moderation are great ways to enhance your day to day joy.

Here's some practical safety tips.

Drink lots of water, with alcohol. Dehydration is the enemy. Also, always have a plan to get home that does not involve driving drunk. If you are going out for a night on the town, have a plan of getting to and from the bar or club you are visiting, or have a place you can crash.

When drinking stops being fun, stop drinking.

Pace yourself. Being buzzed is funner then being drunk for most people anyways. And never drink on an empty stomach.

Now for the drinking itself. There are a lot of fun flavors with alcohol. For most of us, it isn't about getting drunk, but the way alcohol enhances our meals, or the flavor of the drink itself. For this reason, avoid the temptation of cheap beers and wines, at least at first. Some of those are good, but most taste like a hobo took a bath in it. Also, you don't need to buy super expensive stuff either, especially at first.

Sam Adams makes a good beer that won't break the wallet. Others will fill you in on their favorites. A lot of the nasty beers have big marketing departments, so beware.

Wine coolers are the exception to the cheap rule. They are really mostly flavored vodka, but they are yummy, and more tailored to novice drinkers. You will probably find that in time, they will seem to become "too sweet" as your taste matures though. The bright side is that you may find a lot of soda drinks to be too sweet as well.

Coffee. OMG, I can not say enough about coffee. It is the nectar of the gods, and there are so many ways to make it. If you don't like plane, you can easily find something that is just right.

Tea is awesome too, but often very high in sugar if it has been sweetened. I like green tea, as it has a gentle flavor, and doesn't need sweetener to be enjoyed. Also, green tea is super healthy for you. If you want o sweeten it up, or coffee for that matter, honey works well, without adding as many empty calories.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: philipafarewell ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 12:11PM

Too funny! I am not planning on alcohol because alcoholism runs in the family (not all of my ancestors were "good Mormons" But I may try coffee and DH and I are drinking green tea. My biggest question is what the @&!? Do I do with all my damned Mormon books, pictures and garments? Burn them all?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2013 12:12PM by philipafarewell.

Date: April 24, 2013 12:30PM

Now that really is a burning question. Bonfire, then sit around with your friends, sipping coffee as you watch the flames.

Date: April 24, 2013 12:35PM

Burning question! Ha! I love it!

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 12:33PM

Keep 'em somewhere. Every year the church collects books and whitewashes a little bit of history at a time. You may need them for reference someday..

Date: April 24, 2013 12:40PM

Keep some of them. No need to become a hoarder. I have a couple books I am keeping for that reason, but I got rid of most, especially inspirational crap written by anyone not a GA, because the church will deny those as not being inspired.

Anything old, or one of a kind, especially hand written journals from ancestors, donate to the University of Utah. They're keep them out of the hands of the church, who will, even if it is donated to BYU or an Institute Library, pack it up and ship off to the Granite vaults, where they will be stacked on top of other similar things, never to see the light of day again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2013 12:43PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Date: April 24, 2013 12:49PM

I'm keeping all my family history stuff but FHE books,BOM's etc. are so gone! DH did request I let my boys keep their BOM's gag!

Date: April 24, 2013 07:12PM

Okay, so what you do is be a really good mother, and clean up their room, being sure to place the Book of Mormons someplace where they are likely to unnoticed. You're a mother, you should have a sixth sense for doing that.

If dead husband says anything about the missing books, just innocently say that you are pretty sure they are in the kids room...somewhere.

BTW, the AC duct still counts as inside the room.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 12:16PM

Yep. A nice bonfire on a chilly night. Get some use out of that fire beyond personal satisfaction - toast some marshmallows and/or hot dogs!

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 12:24PM

ruin a good marshmallow or hotdog with nasty mormon smoke, how dare you suggest that she profane our favorite fire food.

Date: April 24, 2013 12:28PM

I'm with Jacob, that filth would ruin perfectly good food.

Posted by: srena nli ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 12:20PM

And leave it right outside one of the ward or stakecenter doors.

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 12:23PM

Considering the fuel source wouldn't most of the fumes be way too toxic to roast marshmallows and hot dogs? :-)

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 12:25PM

pesky details . . . ;-) Ok, instead light the bonfire and sit around with some friends and the adult beverage of your choice and shoot the s***.

Posted by: srena nli ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 12:54PM

Pyromaniacs... add it to your list of exmo sins.

Date: April 24, 2013 12:59PM

That's no fun!;-)

Date: April 24, 2013 12:23PM

I guess a bonfire outside the Stake Center doors would be looked down on? ;-)

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 12:32PM

hehehe...

you could blame it on the 'burning in the bosom' thing....

Date: April 24, 2013 12:38PM

An angel of The Lord told me to do it after I looked into my hat at a rock!

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 12:34PM

Too funny with all the book burning!

Seriously, though, you might want to consider holding on to some things. Given how much the church changes its doctrines and practices silently over the years, it might be useful to have the current scriptures to show to your TBM family members in two decades or so. If the stuff bothers you, then you could just box it up and put it in the basement/garage/wherever for awhile.

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 12:53PM

we found it liberating to chuck the garments in the trash, without cutting the symbols etc. they have no power.

you will have fun as you try to figure out what replacement undies best suits you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.