Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelff (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 04:40PM

between the day you researched something negative about the church and the day you developed the sick feeling in stomach and realized the whole thing was likely a sham.

me - about 2

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: philipafarewell ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 04:43PM

I've always doubted, though not always admitted it to myself. It took me exactly 10 seconds after reading about Scientology to say they're a cult and holy crap so is Mormonism. After that I went on to read all the "forbidden" stuff I could find and stumbled upon the CES letter and that was that.

Posted by: weepingwillow ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 06:51PM

What is the ces letter?

Posted by: wolfsbane ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 06:55PM

Posted by: weepingwillow ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 06:50PM

I read on mormonthink on a Monday night learning about Joseph smith and treasure hunting, how the BoM was translated. I went to bed feeling like I could except the info despite it being totally different than what's been taught. The next morning I read about the BoM problems. I felt like someone came in my house and stole my entire reason for exsistance. I was devastated. That was 15 days ago. I'm doing better. Not crying so much. Now I'm just trying to figure out what I'm supposed to believe now.

Posted by: phoebe64 ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 09:16PM

You are not SUPPOSED to beleive anything. That is mormon thinking. We beleive what we beleive. No one gets to tell you that anymore.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 09:54PM

No rush into what to believe. Take the time that you need to rid yourself of Mormonism and then start over. You are either a person who likes association with people in a church setting once a wk or you are not. YOU are either the type of person who enjoys GOOD sermons by a knowledgeable pastor or you can't stand to sit and listen to any of them. Perhaps you just like being outdoors to have your spiritual experience....in the mtns, at the beach, on a hike.

So take your time.I have never been Mormon ( daughter jumped into this madness ), but I know where I belong for an hr. each wk. It gives me peace and a quiet space to contemplate all that is going on in my life and also helps me know how and why to serve others in my community.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 06:58PM

My first day was to see how to remove my name from the church. Bingo...a website on how to resign. I read sample resignations and was blown away with historical issues. BAM...what?..JS had his head in a hat the whole time of the BoM translation? Called a relative...oh isn't it wonderful how God does things precept upon precept...GEEZUS...I FELT LIKE SOMEONE HAD SWUNG A BASEBALL BAT AT MY GUT...

The next 90 days, 10 hours a day, MormonThink and Tom Phillips' podcast - good grief - and I KNEW this BIC member and RM of nearly 6 decades was head'n on out.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 07:05PM

I became an atheist in under two minutes. That the BoM requires a literal global flood, literal Noah and ark, tower of Babel in about 2500-2300 BC. When I realized I couldn't just have that be allegory, it was over and over fast.

Posted by: happilynotmormon ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 07:09PM

Once I read about the kinderhook plates the sickening feeling started, and for about a week it continued to grow as I read everything I could find about the mormon church.

Posted by: an991 ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 08:37PM

The second I read that one of the prophets said we should indoctrinate our kids while I was reading teachings of the prophets on my mission

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 08:43PM

However long it took me to read about the Book of Abraham on Mormon think. 30 minutes?

The recognition swept through my body. It was a physical feeling. Rage, relief, I knew it! and those rotten sob's....simultaneously went through my mind.

I went into the living room and showed my husband what i'd just read. He just quietly said "I thought so."

And then we were done. That was on a Sunday after church. We haven't been back since then.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 09:15PM

I can't remember whether it was April or May. Probably the latter, but by mid-June I was in the thick of Fawn Brodie's "No Man Knows My History." By the time I was done with that book, I was fully, consciously out. So less than two months. Probably.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 09:18PM

I had the sick feeling immediately upon reading a pre-1921 version of the D&C, which included Joseph Smith's "less ripened" version of the Godhead. I knew right away that my life had been dedicated to a lie. I stopped going to church two weeks later, as soon as I got my calling taken care of, and resigned within a few months.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 09:35PM

I watched the movie The Book of Abraham it was about 1 hour long. And I felt sick I went online and found MormonThink. Now it has been about 2-3 months and it is sinking in more and more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.