Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: josie ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 10:50AM

This book, The Power of Everyday Missionaries, by Clayton M. Christensen, is apparently the new guide being used to reactivate ex-mos/inactives. Check out some of the reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Power-Everyday-Missionaries-Sharing/dp/1609073169.

I finally figured out why 99% of the family emails I'm now getting are suddenly only about Mormon faith promoting experiences. :/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 11:32AM

I don't have time now but I'm tempted to get on and write a review, saying I'm not LDS but none of these things would work for me and why. But do they let you write a review for a book you haven't bought? Because there is no way I'd waste my money on a book that basically teaches you how to look more like a wack-job cult freak to your non-LDS friends.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 11:36AM

If you can you should do it!

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 01:20PM

nickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you can you should do it!

I did.

Date: April 25, 2013 01:36PM

I find the tactics being used to be a huge FAIL. Inundating me with Mormon-only emails is making me want to distance myself further from family members and completely disconnect. They seriously don't understand that pushing harder is not the answer.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 01:36PM

I've "upvoted" your review. If everyone does, we can make sure your review stays on top of the "Most Helpful Review" page.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 03:47PM

mysid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've "upvoted" your review. If everyone does, we can make sure your review stays on top of the "Most Helpful Review" page.

Thank you. I appreciate that. Please, everyone, vote me up!

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 11:42AM

AH!!! Please do it!! It has a five star rating saying it's an amazing book! O_O They need to know the truth!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 11:48AM

Clayton M. Christensen is the Kim B. Clark Professor at the Harvard School of Business. The author of seven books, he has received several awards for his research and writing. Well known for his work on disruptive technologies, he was named the world's most influential business thinker in 2011 by Thinkers 50.

Date: April 25, 2013 11:56AM

Yes, I love this quote from reviewer "Powerful Teacher":

"In his other books, Clay Christensen often uses the concept of the 'job' that a person or product is supposed to accomplish. This book helps to explain the job of introducing the LDS Church to friends, relatives, work associates, and neighbors. It makes the job of doing so easier describing how to do the job and do so in a way that friends and neighbors will understand that the message offered is because someone cares deeply about them."

See, they're only pestering you because they care. :/

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 02:09PM

One of the first things to do:
Do not judge who you should share with.
Really? How many times do you have to tell them to get lost, Spray them down with a hose, post notes on your door, hang up on them, tell them to get lost some more, before they will finally use their judgement?

This book is how to annoy and irritate exmormons until they finally put a restraining order on you. We wonder where they get the idea that what they're doing is ok. Now we know. It's from books like this.

Date: April 25, 2013 02:15PM

I thought I had established some workable boundaries with my family and all the progress is gone because of books like this. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 02:18PM by josie.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 02:27PM

That was one thing that always bothered me as a member. Pestering people with cheesy sales tactics never seemed like the right way to share the gospel.

Then they lay such a huge guilt trip. If you don't share with these people you'll be responsible for their sins and the sins of their children for seven generations. Right...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 02:31PM by albertasaurus.

Date: April 25, 2013 02:39PM

I'm sure that's what's happening. Every so often I get a family text out of the blue that coincides with a reactivation drive. It's quite hurtful to feel that the only reason family connects is to get me to rejoin their cult. :( :(

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 05:04PM

Wrote one just for the fun of it. Would never read the book but hey why not slam it.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 07:57PM

Just upvoted all of you guys. Somewhere some priesthood boner is foaming at the mouth

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 08:52PM

I wrote one too.

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:08AM

If they start doing that to me, I will start sending them "born-again" Christian faith promoting stories.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 04:47AM

I have had some fun, turning the tables on Mormons, interrupting, and changing the subject over to MY favorite religion or charity of the moment--and I make sure to ask them for money!

Officially resigning stopped 89% of the love-bombing. One of my children married a MOrmon, and they are almost buried in dinner invitations, drop-in visits, callings on Sunday mornings, callings at church, and callings on Saturdays, now. I'm out, but the Mormon are still dominating my children and grandchildren.

I. Do. Not. Like. This.

I will figure out a way to keep the Mormons from hijacking my grandchildren--maybe by adding more to their lives, more love, more information, more fun on Sundays. Already, they know more about science than most Mormons. The parents are reasonable adults, and I think their children will be the ones to lead them out. That's what happened to me.

Above all--keep them away from out children.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 08:37AM

I just left a review! (And I found other reviews there "helpful" or "not helpful".)

Mormons get tetchy when the word "cult" is used, don't they?

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:12AM

A (respectful and very kind) Mormon returning missionary friend did try to reach out to me on the subject of faith, with the desire that I should be converted. When he later asked me what I believe, as a Hare Krishna devotee and a member of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), I gave him an extensive overview of my faith.

The conversation then actually went really well. He showed appreciation for what we held in common, but also deep respect for my faith even while knowing what I believed differently.

A simple, respectful approach can be an appropriate and effective response with good results. :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.