Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Xanax ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 12:13PM

I'm not from a Germanic cultural background. Heck, not even from a country that has strong Germanic roots.

But I'm very interested in Germanic culture.

I lived in Utah County sometime ago for over 1 year. This is about the only place I know from the U.S.
Yeah, it's the U.S. but let's face it: Mormons make a big difference.

I saw neighborhoods where all the houses were similar, but I also saw houses that looked like they were taken from an old German town (IMO).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 12:19PM

There are some echos of Germanic cultures, I'm sure.. I think there are more people in Utah of Scandinavian descent that German, but that's sort of Germanic in the general sense.

I am of English/Norwegian/German/Irish/Scottish descent. In other words, pretty typical for a multi-generational Utahn.

Sort of a neatness/uniformity of homes is in evidence. I've also note that lots of newer homes seem to have Dutch gables or that half-hipped roof that looks Germanic. Lots of people still say "yah" (ja) instead of yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 12:27PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 12:21PM

...but a good chunk of early Mormons were from Denmark.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 12:37PM

Many early Mo converts were from Germany/Switzerland and Scandinavia, and there are some traces in today's Morridor. For example the town of Midway east of SLC has its annual Swiss days in honor of its early settlers. However, the large majority of early converts/settlers were of English/Scottish extraction, and that's the pool from which most of Mormon "royalty" was drawn. I don't see that Germanic/Scandinavian converts much influenced the culture.

Having lived 2 1/2 years in German-speaking Switzerland, I don't see much Utah architecture that is specifically Germanic. There is a section of SLC with many half-timbered Tudor style homes, but that was a U.S.-wide fad at the time they were built in the 1920's. Otherwise, most Utah home styles pretty well track what was popular in the U.S. at the time they were built. The current fad seems to be a sort of pseudo-Victorian mish mash--not that there's anything wrong with that!

If-you-want-to-see-Germanic-culture-go-to-Amish-country-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 01:54PM

I second this, having spent plenty of time with both cultures, they are incredibly different. So different that modern Germans don't really seem to work well with the Mormon mould. The culture doesn't seem to be related to any that I am familiar with, Mormon culture seems to be its own weird thing.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 02:36PM

I third this.

I was raised in Utah by German parents who emigrated to the United States. Growing up, I spent a majority of my summers living in Germany. In addition, I went on a mission to Switzerland.

Nada on the Germanic influence on houses in Utah. I've been to other cities in the west, though, and the east coast, that have similar housing plans that are found in Utah. But Germany ? Nein.

Date: April 25, 2013 12:39PM

And stucco, stucco everywhere. I'm agin it. There are other ways. I'm Utah old-school, in that I like brick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 12:40PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 12:51PM

LOL I loved that

Date: April 25, 2013 12:53PM

I say it a lot. I'm becoming a cranky old man....

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 03:06PM

but it's pretty much the worst structure to live in during an earthquake. :)

Outside of Midway, I don't see much in the way of Germanic influence in Utah, either.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.