Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: philipafarewell ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 12:50AM

I will take care of it and get it to you by Saturday. I also need to let you know that this is the last newsletter I will be able to do as I am leaving the church.
I want to thank you for your love, support, encouragement and friendship. Especially thank you for helping me get through the loss of my baby in 2010. I respect, admire and love you. I am leaving because I have found many things that have caused me to doubt the veracity of Joseph Smith as a prophet and his translation of the Book of Mormon. This is all so heartbreaking to me and I will greatly miss the good people in our ward. I just feel that after all I know I can't stay.
With love,
Philipa

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 01:30AM

Heartfelt, and honest. Not an easy letter to write. I hope they are kind and respectful to you in the future.

Date: April 26, 2013 01:41AM

Thank you and I hope so too. It was super scary to send and my heart still races as I think about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 01:42AM by philipafarewell.

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 03:51AM

I sure know the feeling! I still have to go through it for each member of my family this week, besides my mom, already told her and it was the worst.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 01:43AM

that was classy and nice. If they can't respect that letter then screw them. But at least you tried to take the high road.

Date: April 26, 2013 01:45AM

Wow, classy? Thank you!

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 05:45AM

Yes, that's very classy. If she can't respect where you're coming from after that...well...wow...I just can't imagine it.

Date: April 26, 2013 06:11AM

Thank you. She's such a nice lady that I hope so. I've known her for ten years so I hope that counts for something.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 09:29AM

It should count for something, shouldn't it? As a matter of fact, your longstanding character should count for a whole lot. Sadly, much of the time, it does not. I hope you are pleasantly surprised and that people act well towards you. Just be braced and prepared for the possibility that many won't. Remind yourself that it's them, not you. It's them, and the church is more powerful and "right" that you are. It's the one true church, remember?

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 02:13AM

I agree you are classy. You are being honest, without attacking your friend. You are a lovely person, who does not deserve to be shunned....

However this RS Pres and the other Mormons treat you in the future, it is about them, and not you. It will not be personal. Keep smiling. You will always be glad you left the cult.

Congratulations.

Date: April 26, 2013 02:21AM

Thank you. I'm not as worried for me as I am my children. I will deal with it but I worry about the backlash they may experience.

Date: April 26, 2013 02:33AM

It's beautiful. I hope you get a loving response, and not a lecture.

Date: April 26, 2013 02:42AM

I was hoping to hear from you. Thank you twojedis.

Date: April 26, 2013 09:31AM

Feel free to email me. Just look for a thread that I started and click on my name. My email address is listed. As this goes on, you may need more support, especially when your family finds out.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 02:34AM

That was a good letter - I hope the phrase "doubt" wasn't too soft and makes it sound like there is an opening for her to reconvert you. It's too late for this letter, but I may have said:

" caused me to firmly conclude that Joseph Smith was not a prophet and did not translate of the Book of Mormon"

Date: April 26, 2013 02:40AM

Thank you. I will take your advice when I break the news to my family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 02:40AM by philipafarewell.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 07:41AM

My friends all fled when I left. One came back and we've pretty much managed to just carry on as usual. Unfortunately, there's always that elephant in the room, but we manage to work around it.

You could get severely love-bombed. "Oh, philipafarewell, I love you so much. I'm so worried about your eternal welfare. You know that Heavenly Father loves you so much ..." etc.

You'll just have to ask her to respect your choice and to know that you haven't made such a decision lightly, but that you're at peace with it and know that you've made the right decision for you.

Date: April 26, 2013 09:05AM

Thank you. I am here so when all my Mormon friends bolt (and quite possibly my family) I will have a network of support to help me. As for the love bombing bring it on! I haven't had consistent VT's or HT's in awhile and our church attendance has been sporadic at best and no seems to miss us so I'm not worried and will clearly see through the fake façades.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 10:38AM

That's okay philipa. If your friends bolt, you're always welcome to come hang out with me. :)

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 07:54AM

Kudos to you for sending that note. She won't wonder where you've gone, and she will have time to find someone else to do the RS newsletter. (And if she's an experienced RS pres, she will have seen other people leave before, so she'll hopefully handle it in a mature manner.)

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 08:16AM

You sound like such a nice level-headed and, yes, classy lady. If anybody comes after you in any way, just sweetly remind them of their 11th article of faith. I'm guessing they'll back down in the face of your firm politeness.

;o)

Date: April 26, 2013 09:09AM

Thanks. Usually I'm very emotional and frequently irrational but, I feel so calm and sure about this that I feel like I am being guided by an external force.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 08:23AM

I agree -- classy is the perfect description for your letter.

Date: April 26, 2013 09:12AM

Thank you.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 08:34AM

Good job you are brave!
I haven't been in church in a couple of months and when I see people from the ward I put on my fake Mormon smile.

Date: April 26, 2013 09:16AM

Thank you. I am usually very passive and unsure but shaking off the Mormon shackles of deceit and my anger have fueled the fire within and my fiesty spirit has been freed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 09:17AM by philipafarewell.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 10:24AM

This has to be one of the best I'm done letter I've read. Short, polite, to the point, honest, heartfel and yes, with a lot of class. Good for you!

It makes me think of all the times where we used to see people just disappear one day and we all wondered why. I wish I had written a letter like that to those who know me (I don't attend). Maybe when I'm ready to resign I will.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 10:48AM

Perfect. I would like to know what kind of response you get to it. Keep us posted!

Date: April 26, 2013 11:14AM

I will keep you updated :-)

Posted by: memyself ( )
Date: April 26, 2013 11:31AM

great letter...keep us posted..but I can honestly say..you will now become the "one" The one they need to reel in..back to the fold...stay strong!!..

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.